Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTN!!!! 5 SPEED SWAP W/TOD DONE!

ATTN!!!! 5 SPEED SWAP W/TOD DONE!

Ok, so heres the story....

After blowing thru 3, yes 3, automatics, I decided to finally go for the 5 speed swap.

For those of you that have been around a while, I would have done this swap long ago, if I had not been misinformed by "know-it-alls" on here claiming that this exact swap just was NOT possible!!!

After a bit of research, I concluded that I could indeed use the AR5 out of a newer Trooper. The Trooper, with the manual option, was only availble with a standard style transfer case, (No TOD) So...I needed to mate this tranny up to my stock TOD transfer case.

This is a DIRECT bolt in swap!!!!
    All parts are OEM!!!! EVEN the DRIVELINES are the SAME!!!!

Here is a list of needed items....

AR 5 manual 5 speed (1998-2001 Trooper)
    Isuzu 3.5 Flywheel (3.2 will work if you have it turned)
    New flywheel bolts OEM
    Trooper clutch set (preasure plate, disk, T. O. Berring) OEM ONLY!!!!
    Trooper input shaft pilot berring
    New clutch preasure plate bolts OEM
    Isuzu Rodeo Clutch master cylinder (1998-2001)
    Isuzu Rodeo clutch pedal assembly (98-01)
    Isuzu Trooper clutch slave cylinder (1998-2001)
    Clutch hydraulic lines.
    Trooper computer (manual tranny model 98-00)
    Trooper shifter boots

Reccomended... New rear main seal
    Optional...Trooper manual tranny exhaust system

Remove your old auto and transfer case, T. Converter, flexplate, pilot bushing from crank, and drivelines, exhaust, computer, shifter assembly...ect...

Remove blocking plate frome firewall (2 bolts) where clutch master cylinder will go.

install master cylinder, clutch pedal, hydraulic lines.
    Install rear main seal, input pilot berring, Flywheel, disk, preasure plate

On the shifter assembly in the TOD transfer case, The metal top cover with 4 bolts will need to be removed and clearanced 1/4".
    As you try to slide the AR5 into the TOD case, you will see where the shifter hits just slightly. This is the area that needs to be "trimmed" just a small amount. (I used a 4" angle grinder) took me 5 minute to remove 1/4"...

After that, you will be able to slide the two cases together..bolt cases together using the old TOD bolts you removed.

Install the Throw out bering in the input shaft...(do not remove wedge collar!!!) Do not install T.O. Berring on preasre plate!!!!

Install new gearbox and TOD unit as one...install slave,crossmember,drivelines,exhaust...ect..hook up computer...You will have to re-route some fuel lines. (bend and re-attach to tranny)

Have someone help bleed out the hydraulic system

On the old wiring harness, you will have to cut into the plug that used to go to the shifter switches (on auto tranny) isollate the black and blue/blk wires and connect them together. (this tells the computer you are in Park or Nuetrall, so the starter will engage)

Also you will need to find the reverse switch on the new gearbox and wire it up to the revers wires, so the reverse lights will work...

Lastly, the One of the oxygen sensors was moved to a different location (befor the CAT) on the trooper, so you may want to swap to Trooper exhaust or have a shop install the sensor ahead of one of the Cats...

Driving the manual trannied VX is AWESOME!!! More controll, power.
    Power and shifting seems VERY similar to a 90s era 5.0lt 225HP mustang!!! VERY FUN! 0-60 times has surely dropped.
    Everything feels more "DIRECT"...
    The TOD functions just as it did with the AUTO...
    Fuel Mileage has increased...figure 2-3 mpg better!
    Duralbility...The Trooper clutch is HUGE...a 10.4" plate with 1700#s clamping force...(1 Ton style) however, due to the Pull-type design, pedal effort is light! (Pull style clutches are AWESOME, usually used on exotics) And have 30% less pedal effort than older push style systems...
    The AR5 is a well build gearbox with 3 sycro rings (not 2) for smooth quick shifts, even with large heavy-duty clutch disks.

Feel free to ask questions or comment...
    Last edited by BigMeatVX : 04/04/2010 at 10:04 AM

how much did the whole swap cost you?

any dummy lights on the dash?
    Last edited by etlsport : 04/04/2010 at 09:49 AM

Costs:

Used Trooper 5speed....$650
    Used Pedal assebly w/ master cyl. $125
    New Clutch set w/R.Main seal.....$600 DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET!!!!!!!
    hydraulic hose.........$25
    Computer.. $75
    Used Flywheel .... $75
    turn flywheel...... $45
    rebuilt Slave cyl.........................$60
    Shifter boots $45
    Misc bolts, wreing misc, oil.....$85

Total........................................$1685

DONT buy Napa or Auto Zone clutches!!!!
    They are built wrong!!!!

Sweet. Does the TOD work like with the stock setup? No problem shifting up and down the box? How far is Lake Stevens from Olympia, think I would like to check this out. This VX is the first Automatic I have ever owned. Yea it's nice in city traffic, but boring.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

You ROCK!!!! Once again proving, don't ever let anyone tell you can't do anything. You have certainly just broke ground with this swap.
    Thats about what I spent putting in a new auto tranny a few months ago...where were you then?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    How far is Lake Stevens from Olympia, think I would like to check this out.
    ROWHARD--- According to MapQuest; Lake Stevens is 95 miles (+/-) away from Olympia. I too, would like to check it out. Perhaps we can "convoy" together to Lake Stevens on a pre-coordinated Sunday afternoon in the future.

BigMeatVX--- Awesome posting, my friend!!! I love people who are willing to trudge forward thru the fog and throw caution to the wind without fear of failure. Job well done. Thanx for such a detailed thread of information, as it gives other VX-ers another option if they also have tranny issues with their existing AT.

Thanks for the respect....

TOD works the EXACT same as before...it is noticably more sinstive to throttle...(remember a Torque converter "cushions" alot of drivetrain shock)

I will actually be in the olyimpia area this comming weekend...PM me if you wanna meet up and take a look at it....Take it for a drive around the block if you like.

I havent been on this forum much, sorry...been busy with my Rhino R1 conversion...

New lower Ring and pinion gears are next on the list.

The only issue with the lights on the dash is that the new computer lights up the "check Trans" light in each gear....On the trooper this is the up-shift light, telling you when to shift into the next gear for best ecconomy.

the last "bug" I am working out is that the cruise controll is not functioning....my guess is that I need to chase down a wire that sends signal when auto was placed in to gear, or it may be the same blue black wires that I had to connect for the starter...I may rewire those to a switch on the clutch pedal (as per wiring diagram)...pretty sure this is the issue...starter needs to think its in nuetrall or park and Cruise controll needs to "think" that the gearbox is in L,2,3,D....I may use a relay for this....

Lastly the MA5 out of a Hummer H3 or GM colorado/caynon 5 speed will also bolt right up....This gearbox has a 1/8" larger input shaft...the rest is the same as the Trooper gearbox EXEPT for the tailhousing...It will not bolt up to the Isuzu TOD box....Howeveer You can use a H3 transfer case behind this gearbox...Advantages are 4:1 LOW RANGE ....dis advantage is that BOTH driveline will have to be changed to a less superior slip-in-tranny-style slip yoke....this means VERY short drivelines....

I am looking into the possibility that the H3 4:1 planitary gearset will fit in the Isuzu TOD box....(they are both BorgWarner TOD designs)

Pics or it never happened Seriously though, awesome job, just curious but how were the aftermarket clutches built wroung? Did you try a centerforce at all? How hard was it to mount up the clutch pedal assembly? I don't know if you knew, but I'm doing a V8 swap that's using a manual transmission. Did you have to fab the clutch mount or was it just a direct bolt up?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Centerforce does not make one for this application...the used to make one for the Rodeo 3.2 however they discontinued the part due to lack of sales....(the guy at centerforce said that the stockers RARLEY failed...and that a pull-type cluch does not allow room for their "weights", and that it is difficult to improve on the OEM preasure plate design)

Many aftermarket disks are availavle in this 1"-24 spline count, however All of them are much smaller in dia. (pucks, twin disks, ect)

The aftermarket clutch sets that are made wrong...it is the "female" part of the wedge ring....the part that is attached to the preasure plate...

They machine the recessed area (where the snap ring sits) TOO BIG, and then the wedge collar slips right thru....Take my advice don't buy one....Also the T.O. Berring wont even fit over the input shaft stub...Chinese JUNK!!!!

The OEM Isuzu one is made with precision...big differnence!!!

Mounting up the clutch pedal assembly was easy...you have to move a few wires outta the way and re-mount the security system computer (right in the way) the pedal assembly is direct BOLT on...the VX firewall was pre-made with the correct pattern for the Rodeo pedal assly. AND for the clutch master cylinder....

AWESOME! See ya put it to use in Moab this year?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    I'm impressed and Jealous!!!!! Thanks for all the details, it nice to know that there are options if the auto trans goes out. IMHO manuals are much better than autos

hmmmmmm...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Thumbs up

Well done!
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench A GOOD JOB

WELL DONE !.........

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    x2 on the Well done !!!