Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: ATTN!!!! 5 SPEED SWAP W/TOD DONE!

Cool, thanks. You don't recommend a non OEM clutch, but I see that Centerforce makes one for this application....thoughts?

Last time I looked, the centerforce does NOT make a clutch kit fot the trooper 3.5?????
    Mabey double check that?

Follow the Leader

Wanted to link these two threads for anyone considering this swap in the future. I am currently having Buffy swap my transmission and he is attempting to improve upon the look of the install as well as create comprehensive "how-to" documentation with pictures here:

VT Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Kinda curious....

Will manual transmissions (or autos for that matter) from SBC's or other V8's hook up to the 6VE1 engine?

I'm curious because 6-spd units with a higher overdrive seem appealing. For example, the ZF-6 in my vette has a 0.5 6th gear. That's like going from 4.30's in the rear to 2.15's.

5th is about the same as the OD in the VX (.075). So, while the VX may not have the TQ of a V8 (to pull at .5 OD), you certainly could slow the engine on flat/downhill stretches. Then, back to 5th when headed more uphill.

IOW, isn't there an option for lower-speed OD out there?

(Actually, I was also curious about the trans in my mom's Lincoln LS. It's a V6 with a 5-spd auto. I haven't looked up the gear ratio's, but it's a hoot to listen too. It's the only auto I've driven that sounds as much like a stick. And, it sounds like it's got an extra shift (gear) getting to speed...meaning it might help with launches of a 4k lb vehicle.)

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    Kinda curious....

Will manual transmissions (or autos for that matter) from SBC's or other V8's hook up to the 6VE1 engine?

I'm curious because 6-spd units with a higher overdrive seem appealing. For example, the ZF-6 in my vette has a 0.5 6th gear. That's like going from 4.30's in the rear to 2.15's.

5th is about the same as the OD in the VX (.075). So, while the VX may not have the TQ of a V8 (to pull at .5 OD), you certainly could slow the engine on flat/downhill stretches. Then, back to 5th when headed more uphill.

(Actually, I was also curious about the trans in my mom's Lincoln LS. It's a V6 with a 5-spd auto. I haven't looked up the gear ratio's, but it's a hoot to listen too. It's the only auto I've driven that sounds as much like a stick. And, it sounds like it's got an extra shift (gear) getting to speed...meaning it might help with launches of a 4k lb vehicle.)

There are 2 bolt patterns on the back of a 6VE1, one is for the manual trans and is Isuzu specific, the other is for the 4L30E auto, and it is a GM 60 degree pattern. You could use a 700R4 out of an S10 or other 60 degree style transmissions. Adapting a 6spd to it would be interesting, you would need a custom adapter made as well as clutch/flywheel most likely.
    1999 Isuzu Vehicross-#1209- lots of mods - gone
    1995 Honda Passport: Lifted, Locked, 34x10.50's, just a few things..-Click for build thread

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    Kinda curious....

FWIW...I have my doubts wether an OD will have much appreciable value with regard to mileage, especially if you choose to run larger than stock O D tires.

I'm rolling 35's, & my mileage got a little better with the addn of 4:77 gearing.
    Indicating to me, that the mileage "sweet spot" is 2k & above.

Maybe for the occasional downhill grade, but for flat land running, I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    FWIW...I have my doubts wether an OD will have much appreciable value with regard to mileage, especially if you choose to run larger than stock O D tires.

I'm rolling 35's, & my mileage got a little better with the addn of 4:77 gearing.
    Indicating to me, that the mileage "sweet spot" is 2k & above.

Maybe for the occasional downhill grade, but for flat land running, I have my doubts.
    Well....35's do weight a lot, lift the body up, and create more drag. FWIW, vettes with the A4 get 25mpg. With the ZF6, it moves up to 30mpg. Big difference slowing a SBC down (for hwy mpg).

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    After blowing thru 3, yes 3, automatics, I decided to finally go for the 5 speed swap.

Here is a list of needed items....

AR 5 manual 5 speed (1998-2001 Trooper)
    Isuzu 3.5 Flywheel (3.2 will work if you have it turned)
    New flywheel bolts OEM
    Trooper clutch set (preasure plate, disk, T. O. Berring) OEM ONLY!!!!
    Trooper input shaft pilot berring
    New clutch preasure plate bolts OEM
    Isuzu Rodeo Clutch master cylinder (1998-2001)
    Isuzu Rodeo clutch pedal assembly (98-01)
    Isuzu Trooper clutch slave cylinder (1998-2001)
    Clutch hydraulic lines.
    Trooper computer (manual tranny model 98-00)
    Trooper shifter boots

Reccomended... New rear main seal
    Optional...Trooper manual tranny exhaust system

Feel free to ask questions or comment...
    I had my old tranny rebuild twice, and then swapped in another auto tranny to have the torque converter burn up in under a year, so I too am done with the auto tranny and have already bought a '99 Manual Trooper and it is sitting in my driveway. Couple of questions:

Why the new flywheel bolts? The old ones look brand new still.
    Why the new clutch pressure plate bolts?
    I am assuming I can still order the new clutch set/shaft pilot bearing/rear main seal from IsuzuParts.com, correct? Thanks in advance, can't wait to have this done.

Flywheel and clutch bolts are high stressed when in use, once removed you can have cracks in the bolt heads that can't be see. Always replace them.
    Clutch parts should be easy to find, you can shop around.
    Why?..... because stock sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    I had my old tranny rebuild twice, and then swapped in another auto tranny to have the torque converter burn up in under a year, so I too am done with the auto tranny and have already bought a '99 Manual Trooper and it is sitting in my driveway. Couple of questions:

Why the new flywheel bolts? The old ones look brand new still.
    Why the new clutch pressure plate bolts?
    I am assuming I can still order the new clutch set/shaft pilot bearing/rear main seal from IsuzuParts.com, correct? Thanks in advance, can't wait to have this done.
    Sometimes the bolts may stretch, but I've never seen it happen, personally. I reused them, and have since put over 12k on the setup.

1999, Blue (Astral)5 spd VX #1396 ; '01 Proton 0753
    Isuzu flywheel bolts are torque to yield and therefore should only be used once. Will they fail if you use them twice? Probably not but they made them TTY for a reason.
    There's no 'I' in denial.

Should I go ahead and get:

Ring gear or Release fork?

My Release Fork is kinda rusty, but not sure about the ring gear.

Parts on BACKORDER

So I ordered through IsuzuParts.com and these items are on backorder:

-Clutch Disc
    -Pressure Plate

They are asking me what I want to do. They said that backordering the parts could take up to 3 months!?!?

I would say that estimate is about right. The parts will need to come from Japan. I ordered 2 washer fluid pumps from Jerry and they took about 3 months or so for him to get them from Japan. It just is what it is. Or, buy something aftermarket. Just get a good Exedy clutch for the right application. Most of the time, the Isuzu clutches are Exedy anyhow.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I would say that estimate is about right. The parts will need to come from Japan. I ordered 2 washer fluid pumps from Jerry and they took about 3 months or so for him to get them from Japan. It just is what it is. Or, buy something aftermarket. Just get a good Exedy clutch for the right application. Most of the time, the Isuzu clutches are Exedy anyhow.

Bart
    Yeah you are probably right. I just ordered the Exedy Clutch Kit # KIS06