Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: ATTN!!!! 5 SPEED SWAP W/TOD DONE!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    Centerforce does not make one for this application...the used to make one for the Rodeo 3.2 however they discontinued the part due to lack of sales...
    Really? Because that is the clutch I just put in my 91 Trooper last November. I ordered it through Summit and it took a couple weeks but I know am running a 3.2 Rodeo Centerforce in my Trooper...

EDIT #1: Centerforce Clutch - Part #DF569040

EDIT #2: Ok, maybe I am wrong, you mention the 3.2 Rodeo clutch, looking back on my notes, I think the clutch I used is from the older Rodeos (3.1 I think).

Bart

this is awesome news! i have been wanting to hear this for a while now and it doesn't sound that expensive... sounds like i just need to drop my insurance and get a beater till this is finished if i attempt

now we jus need to get rid of the TOD and go full manual all around...
    maybe i'll be the guinea pig on that... unless someone wants to do a write up before me and i can follow in their footsteps lol
    Richard
    Proud owner of a RWD VX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It looks like an angry snake-bee!" she said

Congratulations! Well done. This may be close to how the Isuzu factory rally cars were put together? A lot of what you mention is in the '99 VX factory parts book. Sounds really fun to drive, and the extra mileage is a true performance boost without a mileage penalty. It's just far more efficient with the same HP.

the pedal assembly is direct BOLT on...the VX firewall was pre-made with the correct pattern for the Rodeo pedal assly. AND for the clutch master cylinder....
    That would have been really nice to know before I had gone out and bought all new Wilwood clutch equipment Oh well.

Sounds like it's all benefits for running a manual!!! Now we just need to find an actual OEM type clutch disc that doesn't cost so much and this will be a really affordable swap. It seems really strange that absolutley no aftermarket discs worked. If I may ask, do you mind sharing what brands/sources you tried before using the stock clutch setup? I just wonder if there is someone out there making them "the right way" that could be a factory alternative.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I thought the Rodeo clutch pedal bolt-up was common knowledge...LOL

I tried a Napa Clutch set and a Auto Zone (LUK brand)...

The Disks are OK, but the preasure plates are machined incorrectly....

neither was made well. and I had an (very used) OEM Trooper clutch still attached to the Flywheel I bought, so I could compare side by side...OEM quality to aftermarket JUNK!!!

I am sure that there IS a decent aftermarket setup somewhere out there, I just didnt want to buy anymore clutch sets (and return them the next day) Plus those were the only ones readily available W/O taking an even bigger gamble by ordering another aftermarket....

There is a way to use the aftermarket preasure plate...BUT ONLY IF you already have an OEM trooper preasure plate...,On the OEM, it IS possble to dis-assemble the inner portion of the preasure plate and re-install this part on the aftermarket preasure plate... basicaly replacing the part that was made TOO big with the OEM one....

There are ALOT of different trannys that use this input shaft...SO.... you CAN find a variety of DISKs that have the correct fit... (this should help the V-8 swaps)
    Preasure plates might be a bit trickier, though....

Great job BigMeat. Hell of an undertaking. Keep us updated on the operation and reliability of the overhaul. I would love to go the same route, but it's not something I would want to do in my garage and I am doubtful that anybody around me would want to tackle it. Definitely a route I would love to take though.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I would love to see some pictures, and man if you did a How To (with pictures) on this I think you would have lots of new friends

You have made VX history! This is right up there with landing on the moon. Great job!
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

VX'rs always find a way, Nice Job ! ! ! ! !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Pictures, or it didn't happen

Respect due.

John C.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    Pictures, or it didn't happen

Respect due.

John C.
    What he said! LOL, JK, JK...

Could you maybe give us a little bit more details about the install? a basic how to to get some of us started?

How about an install thread/wiki, that we can all pitch in with part numbers and all things needed, even the small stuff.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Seriously, this is astounding. I am practically checking this thread hourly for the photos. Since I have read this it feels like I have $1,700 burning a hole in my pocket.

la ha on monday night?

Lake stevens la ha has a good happy hour and I would love to check it out.
    Back To The Primitive!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Falco View Post
    Lake stevens la ha has a good happy hour and I would love to check it out.
    If your interested

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...threadid=17721
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

This is outstanding news. what is this tranny rated at for power. Im one of the lucky ones with a supercharger. we have talked about raising the boost before but we know that aside from computer-fuel control issue, the tranny was really our weak point. Is this unit more durable?