Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: manual transfer case swap

manual transfer case swap

i found a 1998 trooper t-case for $100 dollars...
    the question i have is... what would it take to swap out my TOD and install this?
    i was thinking it would work because we basically have a short trooper and it came with or without TOD so why can't i have the manual selection instead of a computer controlled 4WD?
    also... there are a few smashed up troopers available at any given scrapyard which makes this swap an easy fix if anything else breaks in the future

any input or ideas?
    Richard
    Proud owner of a RWD VX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It looks like an angry snake-bee!" she said

Not sure how much the TOD is tied into the main computer. As long as it mechanically bolts up you should be fine but you may get a bunch of CELs if all the sensors aren't happy.

Before you commit, check the TOD error codes, check tire pressure, check all electrical connectors under vehicle, check transfer case fluid level. Ya may want to go to a grassy or dirt area & do some donuts in reverse (really punching it). Whilst your at it, try exercising the ABS - prolly not associated but it never hurts to try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

ABS went out about a year ago...
    i'm gonna disconnect the batt while i go to the scrap yard to check that silver vx for a transfer case (and other lil doodads)
    then when i get back... if she hasn't fixed herself, i'll take the bee to my buddies garage to see what is up
    i will check all connections under nieth and try that reverse donut trick

i think my tod is finally getting back at me... we've never had any disagreements when it came to tread depth or air pressure and once i ran over the fire hydrant everything slowely got worse and worse

oh well, atleast i own it... i can buy something cheap and put this monster on the back burner till everything falls into place if i need to

Might want to check in over on the Planet to see if anyone there knows if any other t-cases are interchangable. There is a wealth of Zu knowledge over there.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I'll be following this........

I'd be very interested to know this as well because I've had these same thoughts rattling around for awhile. Nothin wrong with my TOD (doesn't work in reverse? thats normal right?) I just would like to have the option of 2wd and 4wd lock not to mention low range kits. Plus I see it easier going to a solid front axle without the TOD.
    nznsi

ok.. i disconnected my tod computer 3 different ways...
    1) small connecter close to driver - engine revs with brake applied lights still on (afraid to test drive with brake acceleration)
    2) large connecter close to passenger door - lights off and two wheel drive (rear wheels) no problems yet
    3) both connectors - same as 2

anybody have any advice, warnings, tips or criticism? speak up

I ran a Trooper tranfer case out of a 99 (gear driven No-TOD) for a few months....after i broke the front out put shaft clean off of ny TOD unit...LOL

No problems with the TOD computer as it is a stand alone computer...

Quote Originally Posted by BigMeatVX View Post
    I ran a Trooper tranfer case out of a 99 (gear driven No-TOD) for a few months....after i broke the front out put shaft clean off of ny TOD unit...LOL

No problems with the TOD computer as it is a stand alone computer...
    Does any isuzu tcase work or should I be looking for a certain model or year range? My plan is to swap in a manual case and eventually get a low range kit for it if possible.

Not all isuzu transfercases are the same...older ones were intergral to the tranny....and cannot be re-mounted up to different casses (W/O special work)
    However, 98-later NON-TOD Troops used a tranfercase that is removable, AND is comapible with BOTH the Auto (4l30E) AND the AR5 manual tranny...

I have one of these and they are a good transfer case EXCEPT fro the 2:1 low range....TOO tall.

I dont know if this case is the one that Tera Mfg. makes the lower 4:1 set for, but it could be...

You will not find any Tera Lo's for the Trooper case. Matt at Indy 4x bought out the remainder of the run and has rebadged them. They are now known as Revolution gears. Same thing though.

Hmmm

Never did like that guy much....LOL

His are all 3:1....which is not as much of an improvement over our TOD ratio...

so the TOD is a stand alone system? meaning that i just have to disconnect it and swap in a 98+ trooper t-case and maybe hubs for a fully functional 2/4wd selectable VX?
    is there a model number/name i need cuz my sis works at a transmission shop and might be able to help me out with a rebuilt T-case

and if i do this will i have 4lo and 4hi? cuz as i sit right now with my tod unplugged i'm running 2wd and 4lo when i plug it back in to go play

am i correct in all this?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by So-CalVX View Post
    as i sit right now with my tod unplugged i'm running 2wd and 4lo when i plug it back in to go play.
    If I'm reading you correctly, there is no reason to plug the TOD back in when you shift to 4-Lo.
    The TOD is overridden by a straight 50-50 split when in 4-Lo.

quite right
    another weird problem i have is when i plug the dam thing back in OR shift into 4lo i have to key off in order to reset everything i guess is the best way to say it. i have to either shift out of 4lo and turn the ignition off to get 2wd back or turn the ignition off and unplug the computer...
    my bee has a temper and i don't like it... though the 2wd is fun in the rain or in a field

what exactly is your TOD doing wrong? The TOD has a seperate computer and the ABS also has its own puter.....

What is it you are trying to gain by going to a different T-case? High range 4x4? If so, there is a way to wire the TOD transfer case so that in High range the 4x4 is always engaged...