Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Camping at Portal RV

Camping at Portal RV

Just an FYI - I have been told the group tent sites at Portal are not available until the 10th

Since I am arriving the 9th, I will be sharing an individual tent site with Dave (Gizmo42), who is arriving the 8th.

So...AFAIK nobody from our group has reserved a group site for the 10th onward...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

I've reserved it the last couple of years. I thought I'd just hand it off to someone else. I was under the impression you were going to do it.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

I was going to, but none of the group sites are available on the 9th. I tried sweet-talking them into letting a few of us set up camp on the 9th, but they would not go for it.

I don't want to move camp after getting all set up, so I'm just going to stay at an individual tent site all week. So somebody else that is coming in on the 10th needs to reserve the group site.

O.K. It's taken care of. Everyone who is going to tent camp in Moab please stay at the Portal Campground in Moab. You will absolutly love it. Tell them you are staying at group site "C" . It's under the name ZuZu. We have the site from May 10 - 16th. You do not have to check in on the 10th or stay until the 16th.
    Peace.
    Tom

Sounds good, thanks Tom.

BTW the group campsite is $8/person/night, showers are included.

Thanks for the effort guys! And thank you Tom for getting that done. I'm still flying by the seat of my panties so don't know what I'll be wheeling in May yet! If it's the truck I'll be able to sleep wherever I get too drunk to drive from! If it's the VX I'll be at the Portal fo sho...
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Thanks Tom!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    If it's the truck I'll be able to sleep wherever I get too drunk to drive from!
    hmmm..... maybe i should set up a bed in the back of the runner and go by this plan
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    hmmm..... maybe i should set up a bed in the back of the runner and go by this plan
    HAHA! Had you been able to do that in the VX you'd still have it!

Ouch!

Just got off the phone with Portal. NO tent sites at all until the 10th. Not even the individual ones. Apparently there is a rally there that weekend and they dont rent out tent sites during rallys

Not sure what I"m going to do about saturday and sunday nights now, too much of a pain to set up my tent somewhere else then move it after a couple days. And with a rally, other non tenting options may be very limited.

EDIT:

Just looked at their events calender and they dont have a rally listed for that weekend, just stuff during the week...

Thu-Sun 6-9
    MOAB YOGA on the ROCKS - Backpacking yoga retreat - Moab Yoga on the Rocks is dedicated to delivering an enriching, refreshing and rejuvenating backpacking and outdoor yoga retreat. Fee charged. For more info visit moabyogaontherocks.com or call 801-842-6234.

Sat 8
    Moab Art Walk - Stroll Moab's galleries, shops, and cafes and view fine locally created Moab art. The Moab Art Walk includes featured artists and receptions. Most exhibits run for a month or more so feel free to stop in anytime at participating locations! For more info visit moabartwalk.com or call 435-259-4446. 6pm-9pm

Sat 8
    Moab Mountain Relay - This BACKSIDE 50 mile course is a relay-style race. You, plus a team of 5 of your favorite running buddies, will check out Moab from the “backside” as you run along the La Sal Mountain Loop Road. Feel the burn as you and your teammates tough through elevation changes that range from 4800 feet to 8800 feet. For more info visit moabrelay.com.

Sat-Sun 8-9
    Moab Superjam - A new event funded by the Arts Council. Moab Superjam is a free, outdoor public concert showcasing Moab's thriving and lively local music scene. Superjam is produced by Stonefed, Moab's legendary jam band. The concert will take place at Old City Park, Moab's most beautiful and family-friendly outdoor music venue. Free Admission. Music from noon to 10 pm. For more info call 435 259 0734.

Wed-Sat 12-15
    Rally on the Rocks - Rally on the Rocks is a UTV specific event with guided trail rides, UTV games, and vendor row. For more info visit rallyontherocks.com or call 661-213-6922. Old Spanish Trail Arena (3641 S. Highway 191)

Thu-Sun 13-16
    Miatas In Moab IV - Over 250-300 Mazda Miata Sports Cars will converge in Moab representing 45+ Miata Clubs from 30+ states and Canada. Expected attendance is between 500-600. This event features drives, activities, and festivities. For more info call 801-597-1456.
    Last edited by Gizmo42 : 03/30/2010 at 02:30 PM

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    baby mattress from a crip would fit......not that I personally know or anything....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo42 View Post
    And with a rally, other non tenting options may be very limited.

EDIT:
    Just looked at their events calender and they dont have a rally listed for that weekend, just stuff during the week...
    They told me it is a motorhome rally, big megabuck pushers. So I doubt that would affect the hotels much.

I guess we have to decide if we are going to go through the PITA of moving camp on Monday to Portal, or just staying somewhere else all week. I'm temped to just go to Canyonlands for the week, taking my business elsewhere if Portal won't accommodate us.

Or maybe I'll sleep in the Trooper Sunday night. I'm guessing sunrise looks pretty cool from Gold Bar Rim...

Sent you a pm on the other board, thinking of maybe bringing my small weekend tent and setting up by the river for the first couple nights. Then set up the big tent at portal on the 10th in the group site. At least the small one I have is easy to set up and take down and doesnt take up much extra room.

Might look into staying somewhere else after this year. Apparently they dont want business from those of us who dont spend 1/2 million bux on rolling houses.

Heh, well they are trying to sell those $$ little lots...I'm sure they view the pusher crowd as more likely buyers than us tent folks, and prioritize accordingly...