Thread: 2 gas pedals!

2 gas pedals!

Help!
    Odd problem, while depressing the brake pedal in my 99 VX the RPM jumps +600 while in neutral and around +400 while in gear; making it hard to stop. Disconnected vacuum line going to brake booster and covered the valve cover port for it; no luck still does the some thing.
    Only when I pulled the the fuse to the brake lights did it stop. replaced the brake stop switch but still doing it.
    Any ideas?

kind of sounds like a wire issue maybe a wire to the cruise control unit and the brake light wire rubbed each other through and the voltage is causing the cruise control unit to open the throttle a little maybe....... but thats just a wild guess

after looking at the wiring trouble shooting manual I would start checking in and around the dash fuse panel

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=19

page 110-8 for brakes
    page 34 for the cruise control

I think I know the problem....you must have been sitting in your TOYOTA .....hehe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Hmmm, could it be you have big feet and you're accidently depressing both the gas pedal & brake pedal at the same time??? This happened to me when I first picked-up my VX from the DAS shipper lot (bought my VX from eBay). I wear a size 12 shoe, and my big foot accidently depressed both pedals when I first attempted to operate my VX (it scared the be-Jesus out of me).

The gas pedal and brake pedal on the VX is closer than found on most cars, and it is extremely easy to depress both pedals at the same time causing the exact same symtoms you're describing. You are depressing the brake pedal, and your RPM's race up because you're foot is also depressing a portion (catching the edge) of the gas pedal.

Try this trick: When you want to depress only the gas pedal, move your right foot to the far right side using the transmission hump as a feeler guide (this will prevent you from depressing the brake pedal). When you want to depress only the brake pedal, lift and "hover" your right foot to the extreme left to ensure your foot totally misses the gas pedal. I know this sounds silly, but it works.

Other VX'ers have said they use the 2-foot method when they operate the VX just like driving a "Go-Kart" (left foot only depresses the brake pedal & right foot only depresses the gas pedal). Hope this info helps.

USMCvxOFFROAD, thanks for the link, I'll look into it and let everyone know the out come.

Don, I let the exwife keep the toyota

Riff Raff, I am quite big footed but Im sure that isn't the the issue here but thanks.

While sitting in the driveway tonight (engine running)thinking over this problem, I notice that the CHECK under TOD was ever so dimmly flickering. Like some of you I have manual hubs and disconnect the TOD system by pulling the two plugs. Well, after checking the plugs I found that one of them had the lightest contact with the socket thus causing the problem.
    Should you ever wish to have 2 gas pedals consider this to be a HOW TO lol.
    Thanks for all the help