Thread: leaky radiator hose

leaky radiator hose

looks like my upper radiator hose is leaking from the connection to the top of the radiator, found replacement hoses through Napa, they were able to get em for me within 24 hours

I'm gonna go ahead and do the upper and lower hoses that way i dont have to worry about it, they look pretty straightforward, but does anyone whos done it have any tips/ tricks/ things to watch out for? i figured i would re-use the factory clamps, shouldnt be a problem should it?

In theory, you can reuse the clamps. As long as you are using the same type of hose, it should be OK.

The ol memory is gettin foggy but wasn't there a member offering Silicon replacement hoses & didn't he mention that he had to replace the clamps. I'll see if I can find the thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...light=silicone

Just call me T4Dub
    Last edited by tom4bren : 02/25/2010 at 08:54 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Always use new clamps. Do ya really wanna have those clamps on for another 8-10 years? Also, replace the heater hoses while ya have things drained. They'll get ya stuck on the side of the road the same as old rad hoses. All my hoses have been replaced as a precaution.

"Burp the cooling system" by running the engine with the radiator cap off until the engine warms up. Keep the engine running until both the upper and lower radiator hoses feel warm (this indicates that the thermostat is open and the coolant is flowing through the entire system). Burping the cooling system allows any air bubbles to escape. Add coolant to the radiator as needed.

Mark

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    In theory, you can reuse the clamps. As long as you are using the same type of hose, it should be OK.

The ol memory is gettin foggy but wasn't there a member offering Silicon replacement hoses & didn't he mention that he had to replace the clamps. I'll see if I can find the thread.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...light=silicone

Just call me T4Dub

These are the same folks that make the VX badges. I have done business with them and they were fantastic to deal with.

Great service and fair prices. I don't think you could go wrong here if silicon is the way you want to go.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

slow day at work with all the snow so i was able to bring it into the shop and get em swapped out... took less than an hour, very easy job, did break the little plastic piece that holds the lower hose towards the battery, but a zip tie easily took its place, looks like the leak was just from the hoses, none of the tubes them selves were damaged at all

for reference if anyone needs to replace theirs the napa hose numbers are

of course i took them off before i wrote down which was which

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post

for reference if anyone needs to replace theirs the napa hose numbers are

of course i took them off before i wrote down which was which
    Is there any other way to take something apart ?
    In my house:
    I just took my thermostat off the wall (lotsa neat colored wires) to see if the thermostat was bad or if I had a bad fan relay (the fan wouldn't cycle off). After I took it off I thought, I shoulda drawn a diagram as to how they were wired. Turns out the fan relay was bad so I had to put the thermostat back. Luckily, one of the voices in my head remembered how they were and the other voices agreed.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"