Thread: Driving problem fixed/TOD problem realized

Driving problem fixed/TOD problem realized

I've had a major engine shake (surging, stumbling, knocking when accelerating) for over a year. It would only happen once I had been driving for about 20 min and the engine had warmed up and it would only happen when giving it gas. No shake when coasting. I changed the EGR valve, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs, timing belt, and the intake manifold gasket. Nothing helped.

I also have my ABS light always on and my TOD has been acting up. I can hear the TOD "howling" while driving and the TOD lights flicker like a strobe light. I never thought that the engine shake had anything do do with the TOD because the TOD lights would flicker when the acceleration wasn't pulsing but, when I cut the light blue wire to disconnect the TOD, the howling and the surging stopped completely.

Two major questions:

1. What is the problem? the TOD clutch? sensors? transfer case? I'm no mechanic.

2. Has anyone had any long term problems with the 2WD mod on the VX? I know it's not really 2WD. I don't have locking hubs. What am i screwing up?

TOD is not related to engine stumbling, knocking surging. Since you say elimination of TOD eliminated drivability problems, you're probably right in your assumption of engine OK but TOD caput.

here's 2 cents:

1. Hard to tell what the problem is from here. Are you getting any TOD error codes? Let me rephrase. What TOD error codes are you getting? See http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...&highlight=tod Look for Deermagnet post.

You might want to do a search on "mode switch" - that might explain the erratic TOD indicator lights and maybe more.

2. Actually, since you have a LSD, it IS 2WD (as opposed to 1WD with an open diff) And all you're screwing up is some damn good traction. You cut the blue wire so the TOD clutch is not engaging but input and both output shafts are still turning so transfer case is being lubed. Uhhh.... wait a minute.... that last thought just caused another synapse to sputter... TOD howling you say? Does the howl change volume in time with the flashing lights and is it more of a groaning (lower pitch) or is it a more constant, higher pitched, bearing whine that varies pitch with speed? When's the last time you changed the ATF in it? Is the level proper? What happens when you put it in 4L?

You should consider fixing that ABS as well. Might come in handy some day!

I'll check for those error codes this weekend. I'll be getting new front tires to match the back ones and building my own mode switch this weekend.

The howling was high pitched and got louder with gear change. It would go from silent to as loud as it got (loud enough to hear over quiet radio) until the switch to second gear and again go from quiet to loud through second gear etc.

I changed the Transmission fluid about a year ago because I thought that the pulsing might have been the transmission. I have never have put it in 4L. I only use it as a city driver and now that I think I might have a transfer case problem, i'm worried that I might break something.

I've read of guys on here fixing their ABS by changing the ABS module. I can't find anyone who even sells an ABS module. Does it go by another name? Or is this something I can only get from a dealership or junkyard?

Quote Originally Posted by mattlewis9333 View Post
    I'll be getting new front tires to match the back ones and building my own mode switch this weekend.
    Ding ding ding ding ding!

That's the bell going off in my head.

Dude, make sure all four of your tires are the EXACT same circumference!!! DO NOT mix tires on this vehicle. It confuses the TOD. Sometimes even low rear tire pressure is enough to throw it off.

It sounds like you've changed your transmission fluid but not the ATF in your transfer case (i.e., your "TOD") so go ahead and take care of that item because if you've been running different tires front and back then you've been giving your TOD quite a workout.

Then re-connect that blue wire and get back to us.

I feel like the biggest idiot in the world. It looks like the tires were the problem the whole time. Let me be clear that the tires were the same size, just not the exact same ones by the exact same manufacturer. I had even made sure that they were all inflated the same. But, putting on matching ones all the way around solved my driveability issues, my TOD doesn't howl anymore and my TOD display is acting normal.

Anyway, i'll keep everyone posted if this turns out not to be the fix. I've thought I had it fixed before only to find out that I was wrong.

Before I had this figured out, I installed a switch to turn off the TOD and keep the check engine lights from coming on. I had a hard time finding a good how-to on the site, so I may post one myself.