Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Only 3 months to Moab...

Looks like it's at 22+ but I think some have changed plans but not changed sign up. Maybe folks could take a look at the sign up and update as needed as we're so much closer now??
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    a creek crossing trail probably isnt the best thing to do for the newbie's as that generally creates 'pin-striping' that some may not want on their ride.. (i dont give a crap, i just got done ripping my mirror off)
    The creek crossings on Onion Creek Road are on an actual dirt road, no brush to cause striping. Maybe some angst for the buff 'n shine sorts though...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

I think the name "VX Run" is fine as the VXers "host" the run...everyone is welcome. Kind of like you don't have to have a Jeep to go to the Easter Jeep Safari.
    I have wanted to do Eliphant Hill and have not done it yet.
    As for trail selection it sould be stock friendly but at the same time offer some challenge so the driver can get a feel of what the vehicle is capable of. That was the balance that Todd always shot for. That way newbs feel more comfortable on future trails.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I think the name "VX Run" is fine as the VXers "host" the run...everyone is welcome.
    X2...We dropped the"ONLY" several years ago!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

I know technically we're not supposed to formally pick trails here, but if you email me a few options, I'll plug the waypoints into my GPS from the "BOOK" and help out.

I didn't get quite lost on fins n things a few years back...
    not for too long anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    OK, well we're not doing Fins 'n Things then... although I don't think I've ever gotten lost more than once there...but always at least once!

Well let's talk about this, whether I lead or not. [gets out new, 2nd edition, spiral bound, Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-wheel Drive Trails ]

I was thinking of going to Elephant Hill again, love that trail...but you guys did it a few years ago. If you guys could keep moving along we could go do the Joint Trail hike along the way, very cool. But I suspect with a group that large it would be problematic to do all that without getting back very late.

I've never done Top of the World, have you guys?

Thompson Canyon/Polar Mesa looks interesting, climbs to 8000 feet in the La Sal mountains, and starts on Onion Creek Road which offers a bunch of creek crossings early on.

Chicken Corners or Bull Canyon might be good choices.

Hey Joe Canyon might be good, except for likely brush scratches...

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I have wanted to do Eliphant Hill and have not done it yet.
    As for trail selection it sould be stock friendly but at the same time offer some challenge so the driver can get a feel of what the vehicle is capable of. That was the balance that Todd always shot for. That way newbs feel more comfortable on future trails.
    Elephant Hill is a very cool trail, with astonishing scenery, and moderate difficulty. It does have the drawback of distance from Moab (around 75 miles), the National Park fee ($10), no dogs allowed, and the fact that the most difficult part of the trail is immediately at the start, which could give some newbs heartburn. However, I have encountered folks in rented Trailblazers on the trail, so everybody should be able to do it. A modest lift would be a good thing, but stockers should be OK with a little spotting in places.

Truthfully though, Elephant Hill might be best left to another day with a smaller group. If we are talking 20+, I don't see any way to have the time to do any of the short hikes like the Joint Trail or the Confluence, which are very cool. I would be happy to lead a smaller group there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I know technically we're not supposed to formally pick trails here, but if you email me a few options, I'll plug the waypoints into my GPS from the "BOOK" and help out.

I didn't get quite lost on fins n things a few years back...
    not for too long anyways...
    Heh, I don't think I have heard of anybody not getting lost, at least a little, leading FnT. Fortunately when I got lost I was able to discover and correct my error pretty quickly. But somebody GPS savvy along wouldn't hurt...

BTW do you have the 2nd edition? I believe all the waypoints have been updated and improved.

BTW do you have the 2nd edition? I believe all the waypoints have been updated and improved.
    I've got the 2nd Edition if somebody needs the waypoints.

I looked online for way-points in moab ,but the ones I found seem to a bit old, like from 01. So I guess what I have isn't uptodate . If'n you have way-points to share, I'd be interested .

yup, that nice spiral bound copy.

Heh, I don't think I have heard of anybody not getting lost, at least a little, leading FnT. Fortunately when I got lost I was able to discover and correct my error pretty quickly. But somebody GPS savvy along wouldn't hurt...

Spiral-bound rocks, soooo much easier to keep your page on the trail.

Did anyone reserve group site "C" at the Portal for campers yet?
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

...I've never done Top of the World, have you guys?

Thompson Canyon/Polar Mesa looks interesting, climbs to 8000 feet in the La Sal mountains, and starts on Onion Creek Road which offers a bunch of creek crossings early on.

Chicken Corners or Bull Canyon might be good choices.

Hey Joe Canyon might be good, except for likely brush scratches...

Thoughts?

Top of the World is a very nice trip with fantastic views! It would be a good first run for anyone or a good trip for those have or have not done it. Aww hell, it would be a good trip!

Scott / moncha.com

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    Did anyone reserve group site "C" at the Portal for campers yet?
    Peace.
    Tom
    Not to my knowledge...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    Top of the World is a very nice trip with fantastic views! It would be a good first run for anyone or a good trip for those have or have not done it. Aww hell, it would be a good trip!

Scott, I think that is one trail I have never been on.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.