Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs

Post Spark Plugs

Is the Denso K16PR-P11 the original spark plug for a '99 VX? What's the highest gas mileage replacement? Thx.

You're really trying to start a fight here aren't you?

I don't know what spark plugs came stock in the VX (some other member might know & chime in).

As far as the best replacement ... That'll depend on everyone's preferences. There are too many variables for any one company to honestly lay claim to providing the best fuel economy. To be honest with you, I don't think that the spark plug will really have a significant impact on gas mileage (let the bashing begin).

When replacing spark plugs, I'm more concerned with longevity rather than economy. I'm only saying that because I can't really 'feel' a difference when running better or cheaper plugs, but some definitely last longer than others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

At 93K I'm pretty sure that I still have my original plugs in the VX. I haven't changed them, and I bought the car with 35K on it. I am looking to replace the plugs soon so I went to my local NAPA to see if they had plugs for the VX. Their computer told them that the original equipment replacements for the VX (mine is a 2000) are NGK Laser Irridiums. At $15+ a piece they're a little spendy, but if I can get another 93K out of them then they're worth it.

The lady behind the counter did say that I should see a little better fuel economy after swapping in the new plugs. She also said the main difference between the high dollar plugs and the low dollar plugs is longevity and not really performance.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    She also said the main difference between the high dollar plugs and the low dollar plugs is longevity and not really performance.
    YaDa, YaDa, YaDa ... T4B is right ... YaDa, YaDa, YaDa

You should see better mileage

At 93K I'm pretty sure that I still have my original plugs in the VX. I haven't changed them, and I bought the car with 35K on it. I am looking to replace the plugs soon so I went to my local NAPA to see if they had plugs for the VX. Their computer told them that the original equipment replacements for the VX (mine is a 2000) are NGK Laser Irridiums. At $15+ a piece they're a little spendy, but if I can get another 93K out of them then they're worth it.

The lady behind the counter did say that I should see a little better fuel economy after swapping in the new plugs. She also said the main difference between the high dollar plugs and the low dollar plugs is longevity and not really performance.
    More a result of newer plugs burning cleaner as opposed to older plugs with carbon build up burning inefficiently

Their computer told them that the original equipment replacements for the VX (mine is a 2000) are NGK Laser Irridiums. At $15+ a piece they're a little spendy, but if I can get another 93K out of them then they're worth it.
    Take 'em back right away and tell her she's full of it. The originals are platinum, not iridium. Those are original equipment replacements when you want iridium instead of platinum. Iridiums have an ultra fine electrode that only lasts ~30-40K miles. The NGK Laser Platinums #PFR5G-11 will last another 100K miles for only $10 each or less. That's what I use and I get 17.5-20 mpg.

I like to change my plugs more often than most others. The plats will go 100K, but I last changed mine at 50K. Just before the change last summer I got 19+ mpg. Right after the change I got 19+ mpg. So the plats at 50K still performed like new. Iridiums would have been long gone at 50K. I think I'll wait till 75K for my next change.

Mark Griffin
    Last edited by deermagnet : 02/01/2010 at 06:17 PM

i replaced mine at 80k with ngk platinums.. no complaints here.. think i paid maybe $4 per from a wholesaler

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    i replaced mine at 80k with ngk platinums.. no complaints here.. think i paid maybe $4 per from a wholesaler
    Thanks for the info, I had no idea iridiums were so "ephemeral". (Fancy word for short lived.)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Thanks for the info, I had no idea iridiums were so "ephemeral". (Fancy word for short lived.)
    Glad you gave the definition, cuz I was thinking it had to do with the Non-Male member of the species.

Good timing for the info, cuz I was just wondering as well (the plugs, not the word ephemeral - I know how you guys think!).
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

Only too happy to help.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ok... this is just my 2 cents so please bring on the fire...

i would never put anything but an NGK in any kind of vehicle made from japan.
    they are designed specifically for japanese vehicles and definately perform better than any other brand. (i have tried just about every brand out there in the last 150k miles on my integra)

i bought the bosch 4prong platinum crap ONE TIME for my integra and regretted it immediately because as soon as my car turned over it ran like crap, spit and sputtered off the line and had no top end at all. changed it back to NGK's... problem solved..

so, im with the rest of the crew, NGK only. (oh and i have had 3 honda certified mechanics tell me that you should never use anything but NGK in a japanese vehicle)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I got your back pbkid...NGK is the only way to go.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I get 22mph with NGK......well ok .when i go down hill and dont add gas and have a push from a tail wind..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    I get 22mph with NGK......well ok .when i go down hill and dont add gas and have a push from a tail wind..
    Wow...that's really fast......

Hi - Champion plugs when i asked for a set from my local isuzu dealer and they were in the Isuzu packets -
    Maybe they source locally the right plugs depending on country - not sure
    Mine is running fine on them though
    cheers
    Steve
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve