Thread: Fault Code 131

Fault Code 131

Hi Guys
    Since buying the VX (2 weeks ago) I have had the Check Engine light on, it was on when I bought it and the old owner said it had been on a few days and his local garage told him it was a broken Cat Converter. I wasn't worried about that because it is LPG converted (here in the UK) it doesn't need one to pass the yearly safety test (MOT).
    I have got my hands on a fault code reader now and it shows the fault as
    "P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"
    Does this code show a Cat Fault or a Lambda Sensor fault?
    If it is a Lambda Sensor fault then how do I know which one it is? and where do I get one from? I cant find them listed in the UK anywhere
    I have cleared the code a few times but it returns after about 10 mins of driving.

Any ideas or pointers
    Cheers

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Quote Originally Posted by FuddyMucker View Post
    Hi Guys
    Since buying the VX (2 weeks ago) I have had the Check Engine light on, it was on when I bought it and the old owner said it had been on a few days and his local garage told him it was a broken Cat Converter. I wasn't worried about that because it is LPG converted (here in the UK) it doesn't need one to pass the yearly safety test (MOT).
    I have got my hands on a fault code reader now and it shows the fault as
    "P0131 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)"
    Does this code show a Cat Fault or a Lambda Sensor fault?
    If it is a Lambda Sensor fault then how do I know which one it is? and where do I get one from? I cant find them listed in the UK anywhere
    I have cleared the code a few times but it returns after about 10 mins of driving.

Any ideas or pointers
    Cheers
    Jdm vx dont have wiring or a sensor in the cat, as at i dont even run a cat anymore.

So id say the lambda sensor? is a lambda sensor an o2 sensor?

yes a lambda sensor is an o2 sensor and so far I have found 2, 1 on each downpipe from the exhaust manifolds. The problem is I don't know which one is conected to bank 1 sensor 1 or even if it is broken or wether Low Voltage meens I am running to week?
    Really stuck with this one....

IIRC, if you are getting an error code, it's really telling you that the heater element in the sensor is bad or going bad. I don't think that it can actually sense that the sensor is malfunctioning.

Running with a bad O2 sensor won't harm your engine but I've been told that it can cause your Catalytic Converter to clog over time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Bank 1 is the right side exhaust, and Sensor 1 is before the cat. The manual indicates it's detecting a lean condition. I'd clean the MAF sensor wires first. A dirty MAF sensor has been known to throw codes for a number of us here. I clean mine once a year. Then erase the code again and see if it comes back.

From the '99 VX repair manual for DTC P0131-

Mark
    Last edited by deermagnet : 01/30/2010 at 03:49 PM

Thanks for your help guys
    I have finally got around to swapping the 2 front sensors over with each other and the fault code has changed to P0151 now. So from this I am now sure that I have a faulty sensor.
    Now the problem is getting another one....
    I have only found part numbers for the 3.5l sensors, does anyone know if they are the same on the 3.2?
    I have contacted a few motor factors and they dont have one listed, I also cant find any numbers on the old ones to give them.
    Have any of you with a 3.2l ever changed one before or am I just being very unlucky with this truck?

Quote Originally Posted by FuddyMucker View Post
    Thanks for your help guys
    I have finally got around to swapping the 2 front sensors over with each other and the fault code has changed to P0151 now. So from this I am now sure that I have a faulty sensor.
    Now the problem is getting another one....
    I have only found part numbers for the 3.5l sensors, does anyone know if they are the same on the 3.2?
    I have contacted a few motor factors and they dont have one listed, I also cant find any numbers on the old ones to give them.
    Have any of you with a 3.2l ever changed one before or am I just being very unlucky with this truck?
    You might want to PM greasemonkey, he's a vehicross guru and can find you any part you need!!!
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!