Thread: TOD Light problem in 4L

TOD Light problem in 4L

I have search the forum, but did not come across this problem, wonder if anyone can give me clues to how to start troubleshooting it.
    '99 VehiCross with 3.5L, 4L30 and manual hubs installed by previous owner that i keep in 4x4 position at all times, started exhibiting this behavior several months ago:
    In 4H TOD light behaves as expected displaying 0/3 - 3/3 of the front wheel lights and "AUTO" in the mid section. The car does feel like the actual wheels are engaging accordingly. Came in really handy on show/ice road last weekend.
    In 4L the indicator is expected to show 3/3 front wheel indicators and "Auto" in the mid section is expected to go away. And neither does happen. TOD indicator shows "Auto" AND 1/3 - 3/3 of the front wheel lights, which does not make sense as the car is obviously in the 4L mode.
    Around the same time as the problem started my mechanic switched manual hubs to 2x4 position when replacing torn CV Boots (is it possible to damage sensors while at it?) and i did drive 50-100 miles like that (could this damage sensors?). Recently (after the problem was originally discovered) I replaced the 4L30 transmission with a brand new one which did not have any effect on the problem. It seems like ISUZU dealers in the Bay area are all gone and I am looking for any advice that may help me figure out a fix.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    It could be something as simple as a switch that's out of adjustment.

It's been a while since I've had my center console off, so I don't remember if there is anything under there that would control the display, but the simple stuff is where I would start my search.

Interesting problem. On first thought, I'd say it's something internal to the Transfer Case & has nothing to do with the hubs or wheel speed sensors. I'll have to think about this one for a while (good thing I have a 2 hour drive (each way) today so I'll have some time).

Have you downloaded the shop manual yet to see if there is anything in the troubleshoot section?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002

T-case switch?

I haven't looked at the schematics, but I imagine that there is a switch associated with the 4L position on the transfer case shifter that lights up all the lights on the TOD dash display. Since 4L is a direct mechanical lock to both drive shafts, it seems that a simple switch would be used to indicate it.......
    Of course, I could be completely wrong!

Randy

Check that this connector is on it's place.
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock