Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rear speaker install question

rear speaker install question

Well, finally getting around to upgrading the rear speakers with 6.5 inchers. Have a question for those of you that have done it. I am having a interference issue with the magnet and bodywork. Of course I can take a BFH and knock the sheet metal in, but is there enough room between the speaker and the speaker grill to put a spacer between the speaker and speaker mount? Hence, moving the speaker closer to the grill and away from the bodywork. I have the interior stripped out completely so can't really do a trial and fit exercise.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I have swapped out my rear speakers and I found no there is not enough clearance without modification. I put in Kenwood 4.5" 2-way speakers and they sound great no modification no hassle.
    That which does not kill me only makes me stronger.

Here is a photo of the spacer. It is 1/4 inch. Just hope I don't have a interference with the interior panel. The speaker depth is 2.25 but for some reason the magnet is hitting the sheet metal.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    not positive rowhard. but im pretty sure you should have about 1.5" of clearance in front of the speaker before you have issues...

my guess would be that your inner part of your panel probably has some plastic pieces that may be in the way though...my have to dremmel a little where you cant see it anyways
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Thanks PBKid. Think the problem with these speakers is the size of the magnet, much larger then the OEM. Anyway, when using the supplied mounting ring, have about 3/8 between magnet and sheet metal. Now, to fix the static in the radio. Ant. mount seems fine, did fix the sizzle when applying brakes. Amp for sub seems fine too.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    hmm... static in radio or any kind of amplifier interference in 90% of the time a grounding issue...

so, check the ground on the antenna, and all connections.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    check the ground on the antenna, and all connections.
    Been doing that, even ran a jumper to ground from the ant. Any idea what the blue wire is for since I guess out ant is not powered?

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Been doing that, even ran a jumper to ground from the ant. Any idea what the blue wire is for since I guess out ant is not powered?
    Hmm our stock antenna does have a little blue wire that runs up to it, just like a powered antenna, but of course for our one it is to get a stronger signal?
    i didnt have mine connected at first then realised what it was so connected it and the reception was much better

The manual says the blue wire in the connector behind the radio isn't used. Maybe it's just there for use if an aftermarket power antenna is ever installed?

At the antenna location/connector(s), is there just a blue wire and an antenna coax?

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    At the antenna location/connector(s), is there just a blue wire and an antenna coax?
    Yes there is but it's not hot.

...Now, to fix the static in the radio. Ant. mount seems fine, did fix the sizzle when applying brakes.
    There are a couple of noise suppression filters in the brake light circuit. Any chance one of those got unplugged during the install process? One of them is behind the left kick panel is the drivers' foot well, the other is behind the roof panel in the center, up where the antenna would be. (It would have red and white wires going into the connector).

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    the other is behind the roof panel in the center, up where the antenna would be. (It would have red and white wires going into the connector).
    I will go look right now, I don't remember seeing it which might be the problem.

Just checked and it is connected.
    Last edited by rowhard : 01/24/2010 at 12:47 PM

i believe the antenna is powered for am radio, not sure where it gets power from since the blue wire off the back of the radio harness is not used. but i definitely remember reading about poor am reception when that wire was disconnected.

as far as the rear speakers, i used low profile door speakers back there and they fit well, mine also had the two way tweeter that stuck out maybe 1 inch past the mounting surface of the speaker, so if needed you could probably put a spacer ring under the speaker to install it and get the magnet up off the fender

I will go look right now, I don't remember seeing it which might be the problem.

Just checked and it is connected.
    That figures. It's hardly ever the easy stuff.

Are we still talking about the stock head unit? I noticed you said you have an amp for your sub, so is it safe to assume there's an aftermarket head unit too? A good ground strap/connection for the head unit never hurts.

As far as the sub amp goes, is there any type of noise suppression on the power feed for the amp? Inductive interference caused by speaker wires running too close or parallel to power leads can cause radio noise, so a noise suppressor on the power feed near the amp, or re-routing speaker wires or power leads (whichever is easiest) can sometimes cure the problem.
    Last edited by Y33TREKker : 01/24/2010 at 02:14 PM

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    i believe the antenna is powered for am radio, not sure where it gets power from since the blue wire off the back of the radio harness is not used. but i definitely remember reading about poor am reception when that wire was disconnected.
    Poor reception caused by that wire being disconnected may have just been a matter of the different types of antennas used for AM and FM reception. FM reception is better achieved using some sort of aerial antenna, but AM reception can be had using a simple piece of coiled wire, so maybe that blue wire running through the vehicle from the radio to the back spoiler area is actually used as an AM antenna lead?