Hi - I was going to hijack Fuddy Muckers thread but thought it would be easier to start a new one.

I’ve been looking to change my fairly bog standard car but have been bored rigid by the usual uninspiring choices. Yesterday I spotted an ad for a VX (http://www.cgtrading.co.uk/). It ticks none of the boxes I set for myself when deciding what I needed and yet there is something about it that has pricked my curiosity and that in turn has led me here!

Basically I have some queries about the car that’s for sale and some about owning a VX in general and thought you might be able to help? I've never owned a 4x4 before so this is all new to me!

In terms of this particular one, it seems to look quite nice from the photos (I tried to see it yesterday and talk to the garage about it but it isn’t being stored on site and no one was available to talk to me) but I’m not sure what to make of the fact that it was supposedly stored for 4 years and then registered here. It seems a bit odd but I know nothing about importing cars so perhaps it’s not unusual? My second main query about this car is the price - £6,000 is probably more than I’d really want to spend on a car which is 11 years old, especially as it would be replacing a car that is newer, notwithstanding its low mileage.

More generally I’m a little concerned about what its like to own a VX. Realistically I know consumption won’t be great and the running costs generally will be high such as road tax, insurance but I’ll be prepared to live with that to own something just a little bit different. My main concern would be how reliable they tend to be and whether the maintenance costs are going to be crippling – I can’t do it myself so would need to take it to a garage, assuming I can find one to handle the work.

Sorry to prattle on but any help/advice would be appreciated.