Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Recovery /snatch straps 101...to use Billy's words....

Another mystery today...recall I couldn't get the 3/4" Crosby shackles on front tie down hole. Got the next size down 5/8" (3.25 t) and just barely got the driver's side on, but couldn't get the pass side on...pretty close but still struck out.

Dave used a BFH a little, but it didn't seem to move anything.

I'm leary of going down to next smaller shackle as they're only 2 ton. I know many of you have at least the 5/8" shackles on the front. How? Crothrocket, did you have to rearrange some metal on the pass side???

Any suggestions? (Other than run over some boulders like Billy's method)
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Another mystery today...recall I couldn't get the 3/4" Crosby shackles on front tie down hole. Got the next size down 5/8" (3.25 t) and just barely got the driver's side on, but couldn't get the pass side on...pretty close but still struck out.

Dave used a BFH a little, but it didn't seem to move anything.

I'm leary of going down to next smaller shackle as they're only 2 ton. I know many of you have at least the 5/8" shackles on the front. How? Crothrocket, did you have to rearrange some metal on the pass side???

Any suggestions? (Other than run over some boulders like Billy's method)
    The easy way?...I'd use something like this in a 1/2" drill...http://cgi.ebay.com/Taper-Pin-Hole-R...item4ced84853d

With more elbow grease, you can accomplish the same result with a large rat tail file...http://cgi.ebay.com/HAND-FILE-JOHNSO...item3a42986b32

OR a grinding burr in a dremel.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    YAH!!!! Got the pass side 5/8" shackle on finally.....well, OK,maybe "I" didn't actually get it on .....I took it to my mechanic

If your looking for VX parts and that .....Then look no further and ask VX KAT..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    If your looking for VX parts and that .....Then look no further and ask VX KAT..
    How 'bout "Kat's Parts R US"?

I kinda skimmed this thread, but I'll just say that the front tow hook is fine for recovery...in the rear if you have a hitch installed it works well to stick the tow strap loop into the receiver and put the hitch pin through the loop. If you don't have a hitch a frame-mounted tow hook is a much better option than the tie-down point.

Is the VX frame tapped for a rear tow hook like the Troopers are? It would be on the passenger side frame rail.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Here is a decent and affordable tow strap...

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...6&partID=12765

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    Sue, my fronts are 5/8ths. Check the link i sent you.
    How did you guys get 5/8ths shackles on? I bough 1/2" shackles and I can't get to fully go on the front tie points. I got the pin through, but when I started threading it, it got tighter and tighter against the frame and I coudln't finish putting it on. 5 pound hammer or something...?

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
    How did you guys get 5/8ths shackles on? I bough 1/2" shackles and I can't get to fully go on the front tie points. I got the pin through, but when I started threading it, it got tighter and tighter against the frame and I coudln't finish putting it on. 5 pound hammer or something...?
    It was tight but just kept wiggling it. Didn't use any BFH,...well I tried a few swings but it didn't do anything.

Sue, would you happen to know if the right rear "Mount Bracket", part # 89717 88220, has a matching one for the left rear available on RHD models? Why is this part called "Mount Bracket" (was it a strap down point for transport?), and the flimsy part # 89721 15811 got the title of "Tow Hook"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bren,

I think I have the bracket for the Driver Side. It is not the same as for the passenger side (look in the installation instructions I made up for the upgraded hitch & you'll see a pic). This one was removed from Ash's VX when we installed the hitch (lose both sides for that).

It's not a good place to attach the strap because the hole is small and not rounded to accomodate a strap ... but it is a good place to install a shackle ... then you can attach a strap.

Tom

BTW, the strap would be awful close to the tail pipe on DS if you use that as a snatch point. IIRC it's too close to the exhaust to mount a shackle anyways.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 07/26/2013 at 12:24 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by workmeistr View Post
    Sue, would you happen to know if the right rear "Mount Bracket", part # 89717 88220, has a matching one for the left rear available on RHD models? Why is this part called "Mount Bracket" (was it a strap down point for transport?), and the flimsy part # 89721 15811 got the title of "Tow Hook"? Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, it was a tie down point for when they came over on the boat. It's not a "true" recovery point. IIRC Marlin has some pics of how his got all "rearranged" during a recovery…I think he just bent it back into shape.

I can't ever recall seeing one for the left side, so I'm curious what Tom is referring to.

Hi ya' Tom!

Yeah, I have that flimsy bracket/"Tow Hook" from the driver's (L) side. The reason I asked: the beefier "Mount Bracket" on the right side bolts up with two bolts and a "J" hook into a frame hole; those same bolt/frame holes also exist on the left side, making me wonder if there was a similar part (maybe for whatever reason, on RHD models) for the driver's/Left side? You're right, though, snatching from that side might be detrimental to exhaust.

That Left "Tow Hook" isn't engineered to be a tow point; maybe it served a purpose of tiedown point for transport?

Great job on the hitch. I recently installed my Tone-style, notching my gas tank skid in order to get the L bracket of the hitch tight under the rear frame crossmember.

Take care, Bren.

Yah, the left side only uses 1 bolt and a 'finger' to grab another hole (but it is a fairly beefy bracket). IIRC the right side uses 2 bolts.

If you want something beefier, I could get Welder Guy to fab up an extra left side hitch/frame plate & you can modify that to make a stronger shackle mount.

I found the one that I pulled from Ash's VX. I'll try to snap a pic of it this weekend.

I did bend mine all to hell at some point, but it was on rocks, I just hammered it back into place. I had two hooks on the front of mine for awhile, but rocks got those as well and busted the welded nuts from the frame rail, no more tow hooks for me I don't need no stinkin front tow hooks anyway, I am not going to pull someone out in reverse, I would imagine the tranny would not like that much

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson