Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Recovery /snatch straps 101...to use Billy's words....

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Yeah Justin, I think that's what I should do too, now that I've learned much more. I can consider some weld on D mounts in the future. Tanks every"buddy" for learn'ed me on dis topic!
    Didn't mean to ignore you KAT. I just didn't respond since the more knowledgeable folks beat me to it.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

OOPs the title of this thread thru me off...didn't mean to be
    ________
    real estate in Pattaya
    Last edited by ORW VXr : 08/20/2011 at 10:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ORW VXr View Post
    OOPs the title of this thread thru me off...didn't mean to be
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I'm thinking a rectangular base plate, with a clevis block welded to it, bolted to the frame in place of the stock hook, with the stoutest grade of metric hardware available, SHOULD be adaquate in most situations...thoughts?
    That would work.

Whenever I finally get my bumpers built they will have attachment points welded on....but until then I have just used the factory tie down holes. I think you would have to be stuck REALLY good to bend those.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Got 2 Crosby 3/4" shackles today, it fits on the rear eyelet, me likey!
    but can't fit it on the front two holes (well, actually I only tried the front driver side). Not enough space width-wise down there to get pin open far enough to slip it through hole, it's at a slight angle. Tried it both ways too.

I might be able to get the next size down 5/8" on which is only 3.25 ton......so Billy how the heck did you get a 3/4" in let alone a 1" on there....the BFH method? I'm not sure I want to beat on the metal thing there...
    Last edited by VX KAT : 03/13/2010 at 04:21 PM

Sue, my fronts are 5/8ths. Check the link i sent you.
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    A rather long time ago, one of our group built a replacement front cross-member with hitch receiver. I got one and installed it. No pix and I have not used it for adding a winch in a pinch, - (sorry, it just came out) or recovery. I have a hitch insert with clevis which I have used in the rear socket (Tone's). Did anyone else add one of these? Did it work well? It hides behind the license plate.
    Roy

My front end has been rearranged by a rock or two apparently...they just fit!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Got 2 Crosby 3/4" shackles today, it fits on the rear eyelet, me likey!
    but can't fit it on the front two holes (well, actually I only tried the front driver side). Not enough space width-wise down there to get pin open far enough to slip it through hole, it's at a slight angle. Tried it both ways too.

I might be able to get the next size down 5/8" on which is only 3.25 ton......so Billy how the heck did you get a 3/4" in let alone a 1" on there....the BFH method? I'm not sure I want to beat on the metal thing there...
    [
    Those are actually not recovery points, I use mine as such, but the last time I used the front one, it actually bent that tab all up. Had to bang it back into place with a sledge. That means it is even weaker now. But they do look awesome!!!
    Recovery points should be attached to the frame, such as our front tow hook. A hitch insert would work as well since it bolts directly to the frame. I think maybe those holes were for shipping tie downs?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    My front end has been rearranged by a rock or two apparently...they just fit!
    Oh, I see, the "BFR" method.....

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Those are actually not recovery points, I use mine as such, but the last time I used the front one, it actually bent that tab all up. Had to bang it back into place with a sledge. That means it is even weaker now. But they do look awesome!!!
    Recovery points should be attached to the frame, such as our front tow hook. A hitch insert would work as well since it bolts directly to the frame. I think maybe those holes were for shipping tie downs?
    Yeah, that was pointed out earlier in the thread, if I called them recovery points that's just me calling me that, and I've decided to just go with them for now, no front receiver etc....

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    I agree with marlin thats why i have had this built.
    Bolts into factory towhook bolts and has 2 rated hooks on each side.
    Best part about it bolt on bolt off . It is flat with the end front bumper so people with the extra skidplates might not be possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprey View Post
    I agree with marlin thats why i have had this built.
    Bolts into factory towhook bolts and has 2 rated hooks on each side.
    Best part about it bolt on bolt off . It is flat with the end front bumper so people with the extra skidplates might not be possible.

Looks pretty mean...nice. The only problem I see is that it might get hung up on rocks, or get bashed up pretty good. Looks pretty cool though.

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Looks pretty mean...nice. The only problem I see is that it might get hung up on rocks, or get bashed up pretty good. Looks pretty cool though.
    Yea your right, last time when i went out, it was good for picking up mud Lol.
    But also does give a bit of protection so thats sorta a bonus.

Found this thread on the web.....way to keep the shackles from rattling (and in this guy's case, not scratch his bumper). Good pics on page 1 & 2. Never heard of "Glad Hand" seals before, (somethin' about them going on big rig trucker's air lines) but got rubber grommets at the hardware store that do the same thing.

No real problem putting them on the back, but a bear getting them on the front with so little work space....I may just skip the front, they aren't scratching anything and probably can't hear them rattle down there anyway. May do something like it on Dave's front shackles as the FJ OEM skid plate is in the way & they're banging into it. Now he wants custom skids like mine.....
    http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1423

First 2 pics show glad hand seal being used, 3rd pic shows ballcock shank washer.

Last edited by VX KAT : 01/31/2010 at 06:34 PM

Good idea...I use electrical tape, but that looks a lot more efficient. I took the VX out for her maiden voyage since I picker her up from the shop Friday. It had been about 7 weeks since I had her Low and behold, 5 minutes out, I see a Tahoe buried in the mud in the median. They were going to try and pull it out with a minivan using a 1" ratcheting cargo strap!!!! Bad idea, would have busted a window or something. Luckily I carry all my gear everywhere. I prefer to pull people out in reverse so I can see whats going on. 5 minutes later, I had him out, no problems. I showed him a trick of using my rubber floor mats to keep from getting muddy when getting under the car. Its all about the simple things in life.
    Finally got all the mud and clay out from the interior from last October when I got home. I know that was a long time, but after the trip I had my surgery, and she has been in the shop since 12Dec for the tranny swap. I gave her a full Royal Purple Oil change and filter with 1 quart of Lucas Oil when I got back. A reward for good performance.