Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy this VehiCross?

Should I buy this VehiCross?

Hi Guys

I love the look of these trucks and am after one for offroading, I know I will need to spend some pounds on lifting and larger tyres exc.. but I don't know what is a good price for a standard truck?
    I have seen a few online in the UK and most have done between 25,000 and 60,000 miles and are asking for around the £5000 mark, the thing is I have found a 1998 truck for £3000 complete with gas conversion but it has covered a massive 156,000 miles.
    I guess what I am asking is if I would be better spending the extra on a lower milage truck or should it still be good for a fair few miles yet?

need more info

but 156000 is not a lot for a 12 year plus car. I assume it is a JDM so our JDM brothers should take the lead here. What are you talking about gas conversion?

By gas conversion I meen LPG (Liquefied petroleum gas) and yes for its age it is not over high but compaired to all the others Ive seen it is.
    How many trouble free miles are these 3.2 V6 engines good for?

Hey Fuddy, wait till Crotchrocket or some of our UK members get a chance to see your post. I'm sure you'll get some replies then and they'll know what ya need to know.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Hi FM,

I'm in the UK and own a 175 edition VX but I also keep tabs on as many of the UK VXs as poss. On Autotrader there are currently a couple. There is a black one previously owned by Tony in Leek (about 20 miles away - I have his number). He really loved his VX and had a silver one before his black one. The dealer is possibly asking a little too much. Tony needed the money to retrain as a plumber (if his plans haven't changed). But it is much loved VX. Tony originally tried to sell on EBay for 4000 which is probably the private owner going price

If you can tell me more about the one you're looking at eg the reg I can poss tell you a bit of it history.

I believe there about 40 in the UK, most silver, and a few with LPG conversions (including one also my village)

As for off road, crotch rocket is the guy to speak too.

Regards Kirk

Thanks Guys for your quick replies, you can see the truck I was thinking about here
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1416739.htm
    He did have it as having done 115,000 miles which I was ok with but when he told me his speedo was showing 252,000klm something did not add up... this is more like 156,000, of this I let him know and he has since edited the advert.
    Looking forward to hearing from Crotch Rocket, with photos...

also

those of us in the US with a few exceptions do not know tthe current exchange rate so the pound price is unclear

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by FuddyMucker View Post
    Thanks Guys for your quick replies, you can see the truck I was thinking about here
    http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1416739.htm
    He did have it as having done 115,000 miles which I was ok with but when he told me his speedo was showing 252,000klm something did not add up... this is more like 156,000, of this I let him know and he has since edited the advert.
    Looking forward to hearing from Crotch Rocket, with photos...

Because is a isuzu brand vehicule the mileage showing on that nice green VX shouldn't be an issue i mean,it's a isuzu, + it's owned by someone who seemed to take care of it & that is what really matters.

My advise : Get in touch with the seller & schedule a drive test,look at it & then you'll know if the price is right.

Generally out there is many cars with less then 50K in worst conditions then many with over 100K.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Hi Fuddy

Welcome to the mad world of VX's!

The VX looks pretty good to me. It says it's had the timing belt done recently - that will save you close to £1000, but I'd make sure the guy has a proper bill for it. Also find out if the water pump was done at the same time. He doesn't talk much about the gas conversion, but also find out if that has been serviced and has a certificate. Not a major issue if not, but good if he's got it.

As for the mileage.... I would say that's down to personal preference and luck. If it's been looked after as he says then there is no reason the engine won't go on indefinatley. You've probably seen the ones on eBay for around £6000. They have been on there a long time and are overpriced. I paid £2,500 for mine, but was very luck So, £3,400 for that one? I would if all the paperwork tallies. If not, negotiate downwards. I guess he's open to offers anyway The Gas conversion is a major bonus given that most of us are getting low double figures as far as fuel consumption goes!

Offroading? Yeah great! Mine has been lifted by larger springs on the rear, cranked tortion bars and big mud tyres. Theres not much more you can easily do, without custom fabrication, but I guess it depends on how far you want to go

Here's a couple of me playing - check my gallery for more: http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...00&ppuser=3767

Good luck and keep us informed of what you do!

Nick

@circmand - Use xe.com for currency conversions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1997 Vehicross with mods coming! --- 1995 Pajero with lots of mods!
    2000 Audi Allroad - Wife won't let me mod

Owner of the Four Wheel Drive Club in the UK - pop in and say hi! Click pic for link.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    those of us in the US with a few exceptions do not know tthe current exchange rate so the pound price is unclear
    Here ya go circ...easy as pie...
    http://www.xe.com/ucc/
    $4,895 roughly.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

VX Kitty on the spot!!

Hi Fuddy, so it's THAT green VX. It was sold to the current owner David Thomas in Aug 09 for 3995 by Mr Cooks from Yorkshire. I have Mr Cooks mobile number and I've just spoke to him and he is willing to talk to you about it. If you send a private message I'll send his number (he wasn't on the forum). He'll give you the low down and history, but it appears to be (on the surface) a good un. But have a chat and also talk to CRocket. Also because they are rare at that good price, they go quickly.

Kirk

Love the Photos Alterastro
    Looks like you have fun in it.
    Any plans for any other mods like a winch? Or have you never needed one?

The reason I ask about the MODS is because I Love doing them!
    Can't be doing with a standard car thats just boring, this is why I like the VX, it is not a standard looking car and has the power, performance and the potential to really go to town with the mods.
    I currently drive an Asia Rocsta which is also rare in the UK (most people thing it is a Jeep), unlike the VX though the Rocsta as standard is unreliable and nasty to drive. So I played with it..
    This is it standard

and this is what it looks like now.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...k/IMAG0257.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...k/IMAG0258.jpg

Now I'm after a new project

Very nice, and a good choice of tyres :-)

Yes, more mods will come with time. I'm planning on custom rock sliders to help protect the cladding and maybe a lightbar. Love a snorkle but nobody makes one and I don't like home made ones.

I also have a fully tricked up Pajero with snorkle, winch ect that I use for more extreme off-roading, so not likely to put a winch on. Someone has done it though... have a look around - its in here somewhere I think!

More pics in the gallery or on the Four Wheel Drive Club which I run.

Nick