Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Yep...that qualifies...

seriously, what weight oil do you use in these temps....or wish you had....did you whip up a custom blend of 0w-0....or more like -30w-0??

Don't they make engine warmers for this to lessen the damage potential by starting it in these temps? Back in '82 I was blissfully ignorant of the issue. I was just so annoyed with it not starting w/o the ether...'course I was pretty ignorant of the risks from that stuff too! Luckily never blew my face up!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    seriously, what weight oil do you use in these temps....or wish you had....did you whip up a custom blend of 0w-0....or more like -30w-0??

Don't they make engine warmers for this to lessen the damage potential by starting it in these temps? Back in '82 I was blissfully ignorant of the issue. I was just so annoyed with it not starting w/o the ether...'course I was pretty ignorant of the risks from that stuff too! Luckily never blew my face up!
    Amsoil 5w22.5... (4 qt 5w20/1 qt 5w30)

She cranks right over (new red top this fall) & has never failed to start.

I have a block heater that is GOING to get installed this summer.

I use 5W-30 Mobil One. IMO worth the extra $$ for synthetic to have oil that flows rather than turning into molasses when it gets really cold...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post

I have a block heater that is GOING to get installed this summer.
    Two Questions:

1. Does it work better in the summer?

2. If I was to buy one a a suprize gift for T4B, are they universal or do you have to specify right or left ear ?
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I have a heater on my Dragon. jemorga put it on and has one on his Proton as well.

There are different types. The one I have attaches to the bottom of the oil pan with adhesive (no problems so far). The plug is run along the pan and then to the front cladding. A small hole in the cladding open area (where rowhards openings in the skid plate are) and a zip tie hold the plug in place and make it easy to find when pluggin' in for the night. It is not noticeble during the day. Doesn't require a lot of juice and it just keeps the oil warm, not operating temperature. I notice that the heater warms up about 10 minutes faster using it.

jemorga put one on his wife's Prius Hybrid but it does not help any since the car starts our the day with the electric side...

If you would like some pics let me know and I'll get some this weekend.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    Two Questions:

1. Does it work better in the summer?

No...I work better in the summer...

2. If I was to buy one a a suprize gift for T4B, are they universal or do you have to specify right or left ear ?

That's something that you should ask Merlin...

Cool

cold hasn't been an issue here but we got alot of that white stuff. I lucked out and only got 1.5 feet @ my lair but just up the road they got 2 feet and over to the next town (edinboro, pa) they got 4 feet!

My VX just set a personal record today in that as I started to fill her up a Jeep Cherrokee pulls up & the driver asks the usual line of questions about the VX and then he leaves and as I'm putting the cap back on and shutting the fuel door a Jeep Wrangler pulls up & starts the process all over again.....LOL.

I need to start posting the times of my fuel visits and grouping all of the public together so that I can answer all their questions @ the same time.....LOL. Oh yeah, and I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet & hire a press agent as well!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    My VX just set a personal record today in that as I started to fill her up a Jeep Cherrokee pulls up & the driver asks the usual line of questions about the VX and then he leaves and as I'm putting the cap back on and shutting the fuel door a Jeep Wrangler pulls up & starts the process all over again.....LOL.
    Oh yeah, and I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet & hire a press agent as well!
    Or a placard that you lay on the dash while refueling...

I've been thinking of a sandwich sign...

I've been thinking of one too, as a second job.

Wink

Or a placard that you lay on the dash while refueling...

maybe a business type card that I could just hand them listing all the FAQ's about VX's.

I was at work the other night up on the 7th floor taking a leak (not part of my job discription!) and looking out the window only to see two dudes circling my VX out in the snowy parking lot. WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    maybe a business type card that I could just hand them listing all the FAQ's about VX's.

I was at work the other night up on the 7th floor taking a leak (not part of my job discription!) and looking out the window only to see two dudes circling my VX out in the snowy parking lot. WTF!
    Come on, a real security guard would have opened the window to finish peeing on those guys! That reminds me, the last time I took the VX out wheeling I peed the letters "VX" in the snow so that I could upload a pic of it to the forum... my friend couldn't stand having a pic of my pee on his phone long enough for me to retrieve it... shucks! HI VXKAT!!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Come on, a real security guard would have opened the window to finish peeing on those guys! That reminds me, the last time I took the VX out wheeling I peed the letters "VX" in the snow so that I could upload a pic of it to the forum... my friend couldn't stand having a pic of my pee on his phone long enough for me to retrieve it... shucks! HI VXKAT!!
    Next time, add a lightning bolt ... then I'll be impressed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Next time, add a lightning bolt ... then I'll be impressed.
    I dunno, that's soooo 2009.

Come on, a real the last time I took the VX out wheeling I peed the letters "VX" in the snow so that I could upload a pic of it to the forum... my friend couldn't stand having a pic of my pee on his phone long enough for me to retrieve it... shucks! HI VXKAT!!
    Well at least you had an "interesting', albeit slightly disturbing , story along with it....

I dunno, that's soooo 2009.
    Still in yer siggy sooooooo ...