Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weird problem w/electrical

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    I am glad this was a quick fix right now though cause it is too cold to be out working on wiring!
    Hear ya. Spent 5 years up the road from ya at Cannon AFB, Clovis NM and you guys have got to have the most you know what weather going in armpit TX going. I mean 10 inches of hail, 100 plus mph winds, 100 degree temps, and that was just one day that I can remember.

Anyway, Merry Christmas and glad it was a easy fix for ya
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I'm having a power window problem: Came home today and both windows don"t work like no power to them all of a sudden I swapped the 20A circuit from my other 99 and still nothing I then swapped the driver side switches on the door panel still nothing Every thing electrical on the truck works fine just no windows all of a sudden no noise from the window motors at all, door locks work fine. Any one have any suggestions?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona-Vs View Post
    I'm having a power window problem: Came home today and both windows don"t work like no power to them all of a sudden I swapped the 20A circuit from my other 99 and still nothing I then swapped the driver side switches on the door panel still nothing Every thing electrical on the truck works fine just no windows all of a sudden no noise from the window motors at all, door locks work fine. Any one have any suggestions?
    Check the "lock" button that disables the windows...

History has proven this to be the most likely cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Check the "lock" button that disables the windows...

History has proven this to be the most likely cause.
    that was the week I got to wear the dunce cap....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    that was the week I got to wear the dunce cap....
    You're far from alone, WAG, but I'd bet this has happened to at least 25% of VX owners at one time or another.
    My other favorite thing to do, is to lay my keys in the cargo area, then close the door...

I swapped the the window control buttons including the lock button with the ones from the other VX and I still have know windows I know it sounds like it's just the lock button disabling the windows but Its not

I swapped the the window control buttons including the lock button with the ones from the other VX and I still have know windows I know it sounds like it's just the lock button disabling the windows but Its not
    Then it might be time to swap in a regulator motor that's known to work.

Or start checking circuits with a continuity tester or volt meter.

window controles got wet before I had the problem I'll try a blowdryer

window controles got wet before I had the problem I'll try a blowdryer
    Now there's some info that might have been handy to know from the outset...

WD-40 or CRC 5-56 will be helpful in displacing moisture & helping to prevent corrosion.

Maybe it's the same thing that was causing Demon's problem, because you might also try checking the 15A CB-15 fuse. That's the one that actually supplies power to your power window relay coil. The controls getting wet could have easily caused that fuse to burn out. If CB-15 is good, you might try swapping the power window relay from your other VX to see what happens. (The power window relay is behind the kick panel in the drivers side footwell. There are three rectangular relays mounted in a row top to bottom, and the one for the power windows is on the bottom).

There are other things that could be causing the problem, but those two are the simplest to check for the time being.

blow dryer on the connection worked there was more water than I thought

It happened again got into the VX this morning and no power to the windows pulled out the 15A CB-15 fuse that you suggested it looked good so I stuck it back in and the windows work again so I replaced it with a new one thanks for the info the manual doesn't call for that fuse for power to the windows

had the same sort of problems that started when it rained or was wet and the got worse and blew thw l Headlight fuse everytime i replaced it. finally figured out the wires running from one side to the other at the front had been pressed against the radiator and were melted and shorting out. replaced about 2 ft of the 4 wires and clamped to something that would hold them a safe distance from heat....good luck
    Stupid SHOULD be painful

It happened again got into the VX this morning and no power to the windows pulled out the 15A CB-15 fuse that you suggested it looked good so I stuck it back in and the windows work again so I replaced it with a new one thanks for the info the manual doesn't call for that fuse for power to the windows
    Removing the fuse and putting it back in curing the problem makes it sound more like a relay problem. That is, if it isn't being caused by one of the more difficult problems/possibilities like the wiring harness short-circuiting drdirt suggested.

The CB-15 fuse keeps the power window relay coil "Hot/energized" when the key is in the START position. The CB-27 fuse supplies power to the power window relay contacts, which is then applied through the relay to the window motors when the window controls are pressed.

Maybe the relay contacts were sticking, and removing then re-applying power to the coil got it moving again? Moisture can do that, and I'm going to guess that Hawaii get's maybe a little more than it's fair share of humidity year-round. True, automotive electronics are supposed to be designed to account for all sorts of weather conditions, but there's a reason the term "extreme duty" was invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon View Post
    OK, I started my new VX today we have had freezing rain and snow and many electrics are not working.

Not Working:
    Turn signals
    Power Windows
    Cruise Control
    Dash Display of what gear I am in

Still Working:
    Hazards
    A/C
    Dash Lights
    Wipers

Still driving fine, but I kinda need those turn signals. Hopefully this is something easy. Any suggestions?
    i have the same exact problem... to the "T"... what solved the problem.??.. ive been like this for about a week now.