Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: For those that use Royal Purple

For those that use Royal Purple

Just did a search to see if I could find that oil bypass system mentioned in another post and came across this. Yes, it is written by Amsoil and no, I don't use either product, just posting for those of you that use Royal Purple,... K

http://www.enhancedsyntheticoil.com/..._vs_AMSOIL.htm
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Interesting read John, Thanks...

yeah, thanks John, I did a bunch of Amsoil research last month and saw this and another study where RP was a poor performer in the shear test too...so I'm in the process of switching over to Amsoil. Turns out you can get this for a little less than RP, so it's a no-brainer for me
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    yeah, thanks John, I did a bunch of Amsoil research last month and saw this and another study where RP was a poor performer in the shear test too...so I'm in the process of switching over to Amsoil. Turns out you can get this for a little less than RP, so it's a no-brainer for me
    I been using Mobil 1, but thinking of the new Castrol Edge. Guess it out performs Mobil and have always been a fan of Castrol. Have a very funny and true story to tell about Castrol oil but to long for here. Remind me next time we meet

Thanks John. I have been curious about Amsoil for quite a while and I went from Mobil 1 to RP. I used RP in my VX for a couple years until NAPA had a price jump for all oils. The price was ridiculous so I switched back to Mobil 1 again which I used during the first year of ownership. The Mobil 1 burns out much faster than the RP so I wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 to anyone but for the next change I may finally go for Amsoil!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Thanks John. I have been curious about Amsoil for quite a while and I went from Mobil 1 to RP. I used RP in my VX for a couple years until NAPA had a price jump for all oils. The price was ridiculous so I switched back to Mobil 1 again which I used during the first year of ownership. The Mobil 1 burns out much faster than the RP so I wouldn't recommend Mobil 1 to anyone but for the next change I may finally go for Amsoil!
    Zeus- for me, the Amsoil oil actually came out to be less expensive than M1 or RP if you sign up for their "Preferred Customer" program ($10 for 6 month trial), then you get 25% off. I paid $6.38/qt for the 25,000 mile 5W-30 (although I won't let it go that long) and $12.15 for the oil filter (plus tax). I picked up my order at one of their warehouses so I saved shipping.

Here's the two studies that convinced me. Especially the shear and the wear test.

http://www.freeoilinfo.com/product_info/g2457.pdf
    http://www.freeoilinfo.com/product_info/g2156.pdf

Thanks for the link Sue (you know you can call me Justin BTW ) but I'm just going to have to take your word for it, LOL! That data is way too much for me to read anytime soon and I think that is why I never actually tried Amsoil - lazy butt!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    ya'll this really has me confused, as I have been a RP user for so long and after reading this I wonder about switching.....than there is the point of switching after running some other fluid for 85k miles.....I thought that changing with different detergents can actually cause more problems?? Any thoughts?
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Yeah, Justin dat der was some long dry readin'...did it on a Sunday morning when I was bored.....apparently very bored

I don't know about the detergent issue...hope somebody comments on it as I'm having the Amsoil oil done on Wed. I had all the fluids converted to RP and now that I've read all that data I'm wishin' that I hadn't, but I still want to gradually change over the tranny and diffs, as RP really did poorly, came in 2nd from last on the I think. It had the largest viscosity loss in the gear oil test, oh great, I put the crappiest gear oil in our sensitive VX!
    "It started out too thick and ended up too thin"...see page 6 of the 1st link study.

I'll read the articles tonight, but as far as RP goes, I've been using it in my Mustang and R1 for years. Not a single problem. And I've had my Mustang completely apart and the internals of the engine, trans, and diff were pristine. So, while it may score low on these tests, it's always done well for me. As I said though, I will be reading the articles to see what's up.

I agree, I have never had any issues with RP. But it has become cost prohibitive for me if Amsoil is truly that much better... $10 a quart for RP is ridiculous! But Mobil 1 sucks IMHO so since I have an issue with them both I think it makes sense for me to try Amsoil. Let us know what you think of the article, Rabid...

As far as the price goes, yeah, it's nuts. I've taken to buying the 5 gallon pails of oil. As with buying anything in bulk, it helps. Maybe this next run on my bike I'll try doing a changeover to Amsoil and see if I "feel" any difference. I'll also send a sample of the RP and Amsoil to my dad for testing to see what wear looks like with each after 3k.

For those considering switching to amsoil, they offer and recommend running this before the switch.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aef.aspx

Mr. Dub, haven't you used Amsoil in your hot rod for quite a while? Whatchu gotta say 'bout it?
    ...HAHA... this just came to me... does it continue to protect whilst laying in a hot tub?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Mr. Dub, haven't you used Amsoil in your hot rod for quite a while? Whatchu gotta say 'bout it?
    ...HAHA... this just came to me... does it continue to protect whilst laying in a hot tub?
    Yep, Suzy's been strictly fed nothing but Amzoil since about 20k in every orfice that will accept oil, with the exception of the S/C, which uses the GM synth.

I tried Mobil1 one time, when I was drawn to the bargain side of the force...

I noticed more valve noise with that experiment & have never looked back.

I still change my engine oil & filter every 3-4 k, & will let my trans & diffs go an extra 5-10 k past reco'd intervals.

That's what works for me...

And YES...it DOES offer continued protection whilst lazing about in a tub...