Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear fog lights...

Rear fog lights...

I've ripped the dangly down rear fog light off and as I off-road it I don't want to replace it. Instead I'd like to fit a couple into the space taken up by the rear reflectors (not sure that the US version has them, hence posting here). Question is, does anyone know of any red fogs that will fit there? I was looking at Land Rover rear lights but can't work out if they fit?!?

Thanks

Nick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1997 Vehicross with mods coming! --- 1995 Pajero with lots of mods!
    2000 Audi Allroad - Wife won't let me mod

Owner of the Four Wheel Drive Club in the UK - pop in and say hi! Click pic for link.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I don't know about fog lights, but there have been several who've converted the rear reflectors to 2" LED clearance lights that come on as brake lights.

MSHardeman & Little Beast come most readily to mind.

Here ya go...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ear+reflectors

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ear+reflectors

Quote Originally Posted by alterastro View Post
    I've ripped the dangly down rear fog light off and as I off-road it I don't want to replace it. Instead I'd like to fit a couple into the space taken up by the rear reflectors (not sure that the US version has them, hence posting here). Question is, does anyone know of any red fogs that will fit there? I was looking at Land Rover rear lights but can't work out if they fit?!?

Thanks

Nick
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/15/2009 at 05:12 AM

Yea, that has been on my round to it plate for a while. Am thinking the left one clear white LED as a sup backup light and the right a clear red LED as a rear fog. Something like this: http://store.vehiclelight.com/1035rc.html Think you will still need some type of rear reflector to pass a MOT
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I did do this mod and it has held up well for the past two or three years. The lights I used are just brake lights, but I would like to switch them over to running/brake lights. Etlsport, if you read this could you try and find some info on the lights that you used because the link to the lights in the thread posted by dub doesn't work anymore.

Thanks.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Just a question, but why would anyone need rear fog lights ? Does anyone besides me really drive that fast backwards ?
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    Just a question, but why would anyone need rear fog lights ? Does anyone besides me really drive that fast backwards ?
    Of course.

Just make sure you put yours on the inside. The outside of yours is reserved for the cargo light.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Good idea...I can see it now ...handee's rear cargo fog light install thread.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I'ze be thinkin' it's so ya don't get rear ended in the fog...

Actually, I could use some rear fog lights every now and then. Since there is limited visibility back there to begin with, coupled with dark window tinting and the fact that I live somewhere that we don't have many lights, sometimes it would be great to be able to turn some rear fog lights on so I could see what I'm backing into. Also, it could help with things like camping, or hooking up a trailer (for those who have a rear hitch).

But, it would definitely help when I'm hauling arse down the highway in reverse...those wimpy reverse lights simply do not throw enough light to scare the deer away.

I got turned onto them in the early 80's in England and they are a god sent when driving in heavy fog. I DON'T like the rear fog that is part of the tail light cluster but when seperated as nick is talking about, they are brill

Wait, I just re-read the first post...do the JDM's have dangly down rear lights or where they owner added? The US version has no such dangly down thingies (these are all technical terms...sorry if I'm talking over anyone's comprehension ).

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Wait, I just re-read the first post...do the JDM's have dangly down rear lights or where they owner added? The US version has no such dangly down thingies (these are all technical terms...sorry if I'm talking over anyone's comprehension ).
    No, the JDM doesnt have fog lights but when they are imported to the UK they just wire up a small rear fog light to comply with UK reg's. Its normally just a cheap square light mounted below the bumper. Mine has been converted so that the rear fog is in the light cluster.

Nick i will check out how it was done as i didn't do it
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Thanks guys!

It's UK law that we have to have rear fog lights. As James says, the dangly down one is added when they are imported and are quite fragile, especially if you off-road it. Rear fogs are basically the same brighness as brake lights when they are on, so I need to find some small round red lights that will fit in the space and withstand the heat generated by a bright bulb. Any ideas?

Here's a pic showing the dangly down one

Cheers

Nick

p.s. thanks James - that'll be my back-up plan!

Quote Originally Posted by alterastro View Post
    the heat generated by a bright bulb. Any ideas
    LED's would be the trick, no heat to speak of and can be very bright