Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel and Tire question

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)

Wheel and Tire question

First let me start off by stating that I have spent considerable time with the search function and there is lots of good information out there...just not exactly what I need.

I'm looking at a set of MB Razors for my VX. 18x8.5 with a -6 offset. These wheels are being discontinued by MB and I can pick up 5 for $88 a piece.

I want to run some Nitto Terras but I don't know what the largest size I can run without any modification to the cladding. The guy at my local Discount Tire said that 285/50/18 would do the trick, but what do some of my VX family experts have to say.

Thanks for all of your help. It's great to be able to have such a wealth of knowledgeable fellow VXers.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

Arrow

Here in NYC we have not big deal of off road or big rocks to crwal overb so i can't be such of help,but one thing for sure i can say RIFF RAFF is the tire guru.

Keep in mind that bigger meat means add more stress to the axles,CV joints due the oversize & much weight.

The nitto weights around 44 pounds each tire
    Dakar was just the begining.

check the date

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    First let me start off by stating that I have spent considerable time with the search function and there is lots of good information out there...just not exactly what I need.

I'm looking at a set of MB Razors for my VX. 18x8.5 with a -6 offset. These wheels are being discontinued by MB and I can pick up 5 for $88 a piece.

I want to run some Nitto Terras but I don't know what the largest size I can run without any modification to the cladding. The guy at my local Discount Tire said that 285/50/18 would do the trick, but what do some of my VX family experts have to say.

Thanks for all of your help. It's great to be able to have such a wealth of knowledgeable fellow VXers.
    usually when tires get that cheap they are old

the Nitto Terra grapplers in 285/60-18 weigh 49 lbs.....don't know what the 50 series weigh.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Not to worry. I'm currently in E-Mail contact with "MILE HIGH VX", and together we'll find the perfect combination best suited to his personal desires.

just be aware that the rim you are looking at will stick out away from the VX quite a bit.. probably even stick out past the wheel well just a hair, so the tires most can run with factory wheels.. you wont be able to with those wheels

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    just be aware that the rim you are looking at will stick out away from the VX quite a bit.. probably even stick out past the wheel well just a hair, so the tires most can run with factory wheels.. you wont be able to with those wheels
    But they'd look great if he can make it work. The VX was MADE for offset.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    But they'd look great if he can make it work. The VX was MADE for offset.
    I concur!

So I got the Dragon today...

I took it to my local Discount Tire whee I had the 18" Razors with -6 offset and Nitto Terras in 285/65/18.

Major rubbing in the rear of the front wells. Front of these wells was as expected and easy to fix.

How do I make the rear accpet these? They look awesome, but I'm not sure I want to refabricate the rear of the front wells to make it work.

Help is appreciated.

Major rubbing in the rear of the front wells. Front of these wells was as expected and easy to fix.

How do I make the rear accpet these?
    First off, congrats on your purchase!!! The Dragon is my second favorite color and the paint is breath-taking in bright sunshine.

The Nitto T/G in 285/65R18 (32.52" O.D.) tires are both wide & tall, and you have them mounted on very wide rims which greatly magnify their "swing arc" when turning. The same height tire in 265/70R18 (32.64" O.D.) will have a lesser degree of "swing arc" due to its narrower 265 series width and may have less rubbing conflict within the tightly cramped VX front wheelwells.

I would guess that one of your major rubbing points is the famous protruding "bolt" located at the extreme bottom inner fenderwell rear on the front-left driver side when the front wheels are turned full-lock left. This "bolt" can simply be removed and may solve your problem; if not, then you have a series of other options to choose from:

A. After removing famous "bolt", check "swing arc" fitment. Consider using a BFH to customize the rear of the inner fenderwells until appropriate tire clearance is gained. If you don't like the BFH idea, then move on to other options below.
    B. Switch to a same height, but much narrower tire in 265/70R18 (32.64" O.D.) and check fitment.
    C. Switch to a slightly smaller & narrower tire in 275/65R18 (32" O.D.) and check fitment. This is probably your best option.
    D. Switch to the short & stubby 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D.) and check fitment.

If you're after both a "wider" look with "taller" O.D., then option "C" may be your best option without further damaging your new Dragon purchase with a BFH.

Hey Riff Raff thanks for all the help.

The biggest issue was the lower portion of the wheel well where the cladding and inner fender meet. We couldn't ever turn the wheels all the way it had so much contact!

What about moving down to a 17" rim? They have this wheel in a 17" size with a +25 offset.

Not sure that's the look I'm after, but also not sure that there would be a marked difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    First off, congrats on your purchase!!! The Dragon is my second favorite color and the paint is breath-taking in bright sunshine.

The Nitto T/G in 285/65R18 (32.52" O.D.) tires are both wide & tall, and you have them mounted on very wide rims which greatly magnify their "swing arc" when turning. The same height tire in 265/70R18 (32.64" O.D.) will have a lesser degree of "swing arc" due to its narrower 265 series width and may have less rubbing conflict within the tightly cramped VX front wheelwells.

I would guess that one of your major rubbing points is the famous protruding "bolt" located at the extreme bottom inner fenderwell rear on the front-left driver side when the front wheels are turned full-lock left. This "bolt" can simply be removed and may solve your problem; if not, then you have a series of other options to choose from:

A. After removing famous "bolt", check "swing arc" fitment. Consider using a BFH to customize the rear of the inner fenderwells until appropriate tire clearance is gained. If you don't like the BFH idea, then move on to other options below.
    B. Switch to a same height, but much narrower tire in 265/70R18 (32.64" O.D.) and check fitment.
    C. Switch to a slightly smaller & narrower tire in 275/65R18 (32" O.D.) and check fitment. This is probably your best option.
    D. Switch to the short & stubby 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D.) and check fitment.

If you're after both a "wider" look with "taller" O.D., then option "C" may be your best option without further damaging your new Dragon purchase with a BFH.

I recently put 33x12 tires on my VX and had the clearance issue you are talking about. I took a sawzall with a metal blade and cut inward at the bottom of the well. I left the outside corner (where people see it) intact but cut in from that point. I only removed probably 3/4 inch or so, but it was enough to clear them.

Check this thread http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=16761
    to see what I had to do.

The biggest issue was the lower portion of the wheel well where the cladding and inner fender meet. We couldn't ever turn the wheels all the way it had so much contact!

What about moving down to a 17" rim? They have this wheel in a 17" size with a +25 offset.

Not sure that's the look I'm after, but also not sure that there would be a marked difference.
    I had the same issue (rubbing at the back) and that was with a +18 offset. Had to take a BFH and knock the bottom bolt in. It is just a sheet metal tab to hold the cladding. With a 17 at a +25, I'd be surprised if you have any issues and if so, it would be a easy fix. I run the 285-60-18's
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Mine rubbed deep inside the wheel well at full lock. The tires are so worn now though that they don't rub any more. I'll be breaking out the BFH whenever I get new tires tho.

Mine also rubbed the NERF bar brackets that I got from Tone so they've never been installed (offset at fault ... not Tone).

Modding the cladding a little is VERY insignificant. I didn't wanna do it either when I got bigger tires, but it really is no big deal.

Bart