Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ::sigh:: Apparently rust is bad. Who knew?

Angry ::sigh:: Apparently rust is bad. Who knew?

I decided to replace my faded, stained, scarred hood insert yesterday with a shiny new one from Merlin. So I began the arduous task of removing the hood insulation and the 14 bolts and the windshield washer hoses and sprayers and stuff...what a PITA.

I noticed that one of my drain hoses was missing...you know, the hose that is supposed to keep water from collecting at the front corners of the cladding. Also, needless to say, the drains were useless; being completely clogged with black gunky toxic waste.

Most frustratingly, though, was that 13 of the 14 retainer bolts were fairly easy to remove, although all of them had varying degrees of rust damage. The last nut would not come off the bolt, though. It just turned and turned in place. When I tried to remove the hood insert, the metal base of the bolt which is affixed to the bottom of the fiberglass insert just snapped off. Still in the hood. So now I've got a rusted flower-shaped metal disk on the top of my hood with a rusted bolt going through the hood, and no safe way to remove it. WTF??? How can I finish this Herculean task???
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Have you hit the bolt with some PB Blaster? If not, give the bolt a blast and let it sit for a while before trying to remove the bolt. Another option would be to heat the bolt with a torch to try and knock the rust loose, but that could put your hood in danger. The only other thing that I can think of would be to cut the bolt off since the new insert should have bolts attached to it.

Good luck and keep us informed.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Months ago i removed the insert to see how it looks under.........Damn it !

Lot of accumulated dirt were under it,the drains were completely clogged as yours & one of the metal was off the insert; I didn;t had an idea to glue it back but use gorilla glue.

Then,to avoid gunk accumulating under the insert i placed soft weatherstrip around the edge on the hood where the insert goes & so far it has done a good job.
    Dakar was just the begining.

I tried (carefully) to simply break off the bolt...no luck, and I don't want to deform the sheet metal on the hood itself. I cannot cut it, as the nut is tight up against the bottom of the hood (no space to put a cutting tool). And PB Blaster probably won't work: it looks like the nut is completely fused with the bolt, and the bolt itself is flush on top with the flower-shaped disk on the outer surface of the hood. It just spins, with nothing to grab onto to try to force the nut to turn. Damn.

And yes, the metal underneath the insert is effing disgusting. Dirt and gunk and bugs and gross stuff. I guess roads are dirty places to drive. Dirt roads, too.

The only thing I can think of is to hold the screw from beneath to keep it from turning and drill out the top. Start with a small bit and make sure it is centered, and increase the bit size until you've drill enough material off the top to pop off the disk.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I had the same problem. to remove, just fold two of the tabs till they touch. clamp them together as close to the hood as you can with a vice grip, then hold that and twist the nut till it snaps in half.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The only thing I can think of is to hold the screw from beneath to keep it from turning and drill out the top. Start with a small bit and make sure it is centered, and increase the bit size until you've drill enough material off the top to pop off the disk.
    If Orion's idea doesn't work because of material weakness due to rust...(if the "flower" disintegrates)

I was thinking along the same lines, except where C-J indicates a drill bit or anything related to drilling, substitute mini grinder or dremel...

If you can support the bolt head from underneath, & protect the surrounding paint on top with duct tape/cardboard, then proceed CAREFULLY with a mini grinder or dremel, you should be able to grind off the "flower"...

Same idea, different tool...

Now you have three choices...four if you would give explosives any consideration...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Now you have three choices...four if you would give explosives any consideration...
    Hydrochloric acid... that's five!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Hydrochloric acid... that's five!
    I like the way you think...

A well placed, small cal. rifle round would also be effective, but would require removal of the hood...maybe.
    Last edited by Ldub : 11/29/2009 at 07:44 AM

This here's Texas. I like the gun idea.

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4 View Post
    This here's Texas. I like the gun idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

lol take the hood off and take it with you to the shooting range ..get you hunting rifle and blow that bolt out ...lol.. oh take a video....
    j/k
    the drill idea will work ..Ive done it a ton of times on old builds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

I think I would cut the bolt off just below the nut with a dremel or similar. Then drill the bolt out at the center of the nut. That way, you are working under the hood and not from the top, just in case you slip. Once you drill the bolt out, it should break easily enough...

You should be able to cut it off with a small Dremel cutoff bit. Or, you could drill it out.

Nice to see you on the forum, Eric!

Bart

The vise grips idea will work . the bolt will break right off. shawn
    1COOLVX