Thread: Dash switch question

Dash switch question

Some of the dash switches are no longer illuminated. The emergency flasher, Cruise Control ON/OFF, and rear window defroster do not light up with the headlights on. Can these be fixed or do they have to be replaced? I don't know if the dummy switch with the little red thing on it was ever lit up or if it is even supposed to light up.

the dummy red led is tied to your alarm, when the alarm is activated it will flash

the rest of them could either be a loose wire, or more than likely just a burnt out bulb, im not sure where you can get just a standard replacement bulb other than the dealer, but i got LED replacements from www.autolumination.com

if i remember correctly they are the 8mm base ones.. but i would take one out and measure before placing your order because im not 100% sure on that

Being that that many are out I'd almost bet that there is a problem rather than them being burnt out. The bulbs are located within the switch which means the switches would have to be taken apart to get to the bulbs.
    Scott / moncha.com

I never knew that those switches even illuminated till one night driving home and I noticed an extremely bright light coming from the switch area. Looked down and the cruise and window defrosters were lit so bright like they were brand new. unfortunately i was so excited, i pressed the switches and the lights never came back on since.

Ive got some spare switches laying around. I'll take a look and see what the deal is.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

I've had a couple of switches out and they do have very tiny little lights in them. Some switches just have one bulb, and others that have an indicator light have two (one for the switch and one for the indicator). I was going to update all of my switches with LED bulbs and I found them here:
    http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...nstrument.html
    Our switches use the NeoWedge bulbs on the website and I think they are the NEO3 series bulbs
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I just checked the parts catalog and there's several different bulbs for the various switches. Some are different watts or are amber for the on indicator.

Cruise control, 8-97117-108-0 14v 0.84w
    Defogger, 8-97117-108-0 14v 0.84w and amber 8-97102-440-0
    Hazard, 8-97130-932-0
    Mirror heater, 8-97102-439-0 14v 0.7w and amber 9-97102-440-0

They list for $4-5 each from a dealer.

Mark
    Last edited by deermagnet : 12/04/2009 at 04:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by navistar View Post
    Some of the dash switches are no longer illuminated. The emergency flasher, Cruise Control ON/OFF, and rear window defroster do not light up with the headlights on. Can these be fixed or do they have to be replaced? I don't know if the dummy switch with the little red thing on it was ever lit up or if it is even supposed to light up.
    Do the lights in other areas of the dash (radio and HVAC controls) and console (shift lever light, Power/Winter Switch, Mirror Defogger Switch) still light up?

The CB-5 Fuse in the dash fuse box supplies power to all of the above (including the lights that you say aren't working) through the Taillight Relay when that relay is activated by the Park/Headlight switch. Do your taillights still work?

If the CB-5 fuse is good, and the taillight relay and lighting switch are also good, the problem may be in your solid state Illumination controller which is the part of the lighting circuit that controls the level of brightness for all the dash lighting while also providing the lighting circuit(s) for all these lights with a ground path.

Everything works except the illumination inside the two switches: the hazard and the cruise control. The rear window defrost is illuminated (both switch light and amber light) so it would seem that it is just a matter of the bulbs in those two switches being burned out. I've not been inside with the alarm sounding to see if the red light does anything. So I'll see about getting replacement bulbs for those.

If you have the stock Isuzu alarm the little red light should blink when you arm (lock the doors with the key fob) the VX. If you don't lock your doors with the stock key fob, or if you have an aftermarket alarm system that isn't hooked to the stock alarm then the light won't do anything.

there is a little knob that dims the lights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...