Thread: New brakes!

New brakes!

I just installed new R1 race concepts drilled and slotted rotors, ceramic pads, and ss braided brake lines. What a difference, this mod has reduced my stopping distance by almost 1/2. Paired with my recent tire install Cooper Zeon LTZ's I see how they coined the phrase stop on a dime! I have also recently fixed my windows (dr. side needed a new regulator), I am feeling like I need to keep going. The only thing I am having an issue with is gas milage, I have replaced the fuel filter, which improved power but still am getting horrible milage. Have never gotten a check engine light so I figure its working the way it should. Any suggestions?

Lightbulb

Hey erland !

Got a ??? for you.....

Are driving with your TOD in 100/100 mode all the time ?

If so adjust the TOD to run 25/100 which in fact will only illuminates the 1rst lights on the front wheels & all three at the rear on the TOD display.

That would help you gain some more MPG for sure.

In regards of your new brake upgrade you did the right thing;Less dust,more torque pressure & less wear.

I did the same except the lines,i haven't do that so far,but it's in my list of must do.

I'll be taken care of the undercarriage next week with antirust coat & also have my engine light giving me head aches
    Last edited by Gussie2000 : 11/10/2009 at 04:10 PM
    Dakar was just the begining.

Nope tod is running 25/100. I read thru the service bullitines found one about aftermarket alarms causing codes and loss of mileage but am not getting a code. Talked to my alarm installer and he says the only way to know is to disconnect the alarm and drive it. Gonna do that when I fill up next. When I say horrible am talking 10-12 mpg in town or less. I admit to having a heavy foot but when I had the motor replaced I was getting more like 15-16 in town with that same foot. The engine is running strong, idles good, exhaust does not smell rich, could this maybe be due to a cracked fuel line? I do not smell fuel though.

Arrow

To despite any possibility of fuel leaks you better have it to the shop.although you don't get any smell.

My best bet is going easier on the gas pedal,i taugh my self to drive with ease,it do help a lot improve the mileage.

Also,if you are carrying stuff in your trunk that will cost you some extra pennies at the pump.

Check your tires pressure,make sure the psi aren't less then indicated on the sidewall.balancing/alignment if needed will help altogether

Thanks for the advice I will try to keep my foot out of it. Vx is too fun to drive to hold all the pony's back. Tire pressure is already set. Already checked my FPR also which is good.

Aside from the "junk in your trunk" () keep in mind that adding a BBK and bigger tires (did you go up to 285-60-18?) adds unsprung weight which in turn drags your MPG down. You'll likely never see 15-16 again regardless, but I would think 10-12 is below where you should be (although others here report similar mileage). I say keep looking.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Gear FYI...

Here is an article that may be of some interest to anyone who has recently replaced, or is going to replace, rotors & pads...

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedintheory.shtml

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinfaq.shtml

I installed my Magnum cross drilled rotors yesterday, now I gotta find me some vacant asphalt...
    Last edited by Ldub : 11/11/2009 at 03:06 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post

I installed my Magnum cross drilled rotors yesterday, now I gotta find me some vacant asphalt...
    I agree completely, before getting on the road..tow your VX to an empty lot with lottsa space and make sure your brakes work. Very wise indeed.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

I have got a good seat on mine they work great!

Dude, I've seen you drive...

Nuthin wrong with your rig... I drive like a pu$$y 95% of the time and I'm getting 15 mpg...

Do an entire tank of gas as smooth as you can on the throttle... no Pwr trans setting. You'll get 15!
    Last edited by BoarderCROSS2000 : 11/11/2009 at 10:12 PM Reason: Ooops

Don't forget that with the different tire height from stock, your odometer will be off a bit.

FYI, I've got 255/55/18s and I'm at 19+ mpg/400+ range! (with size factored in).

It IS possible to get decent/good mileage with a VX. Just have to find the right combination of things to fix/maintain/mod/adjust/dail-in...
    BUT...Some VXs just WON'T do it...(economically feasibly that is.)
    The more you tinker, the worse your "Overhead-to-Mileage ratio"... (just made that up)... in other words: You may end up spending enough to replace the motor, or the VX for that matter, in order to just get good mileage/performance.
    Is it worth a spending a few hundred+ bucks just to save a few dollars in mileage?
    Depends on individual circumstances, of course.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SilverBullet75 : 11/12/2009 at 04:23 PM
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

I have checked my speedo with my gps and I am on average off by 5 mph. I did not take into account my odod would be off. Mileage is decent taking this into account. Can a Tech II be used to recalibrate the speedo with new tire size?

Arrow

The speedo can be only readjusted manually.
    If not mistaken the speedo sensor located @ the transmmission.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    The speedo can be only readjusted manually.
    If not mistaken the speedo sensor located @ the transmmission.
    correct. and in order to make it correct you have to drop part of the tranny and change a small gear out (i asked about it when i had my motor swapped)

regarding the aftermarket security system. that makes NO sense at all. the only thing an aftermarket security does is pull a small amount of draw on your battery, but that wouldnt affect your gas mileage.

and when your driving it pulls almost no power... (like 1000ma)

to give you perspective incase you dont understand what a 'ma' is. your factory radio pulls about 10a, your security pulls about 1/10 of that power when your driving (different story when its armed)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden