Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First post is a sad one - engine died

First post is a sad one - engine died

Sadly my beloved Vehicross Foxfire blew the engine Sunday taking my kids back to Joplin - had just bought sweet Nitto's and unbelievable sound system (I believe it just got low on oil). What would be the best/least expensive option - remanufactured? rebiuild this one? I would not be able to do any of the work myself. Thanks for any advice...

Print out this entire thread:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ighlight=axiom

Take it to the guy you plan on working on it & see what he has to say.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    when my motor blew up i took it to a shop and they ordered me a re-manned block with new innerds and used the old exterior parts....

R&R, parts, shipping.....a little under 5k
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    when my motor blew up i took it to a shop and they ordered me a re-manned block with new innerds and used the old exterior parts....

R&R, parts, shipping.....a little under 5k
    x2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

thanks guys...wish i didn't like it so much...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

This looks like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    x2
    x3

I would go with a reman block, just like PB did.

Sad to hear about the blown motor. Foxfires are sweet, and rare among a rare vehicle. Definitely don't let her go to the crusher!

Bart

Good luck on the engine.
    Keep the VX on the road, we are getting to be a rare bread.

Sorry to hear of your engine expiration. Since you're so close to Saint Louis though, I don't know if the St. Charles dealership would be willing to do anything about it seeing as how Isuzu tended to turn a blind eye to this problem, but you never know.

Regardless, if in need of any parts to get the rig back on the road, don't hesitate to at least give Merlin a call at St. Charles Isuzu. He's got the parts hookup, and can save you some $$$ if you mention www.vehicross.info.

Question

Is there "updates" that these reman companies need to be performing to fix the "known" issues on the 3.5 especially the consumption probs?
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

Quote Originally Posted by lasturbo View Post
    Is there "updates" that these reman companies need to be performing to fix the "known" issues on the 3.5 especially the consumption probs?

Yes.... can someone please elaborate on this subject somemore. I dont care what it takes-I just want reliability and peace of mind. I think that's what most of us want. Sounds like the Axiom engine doesn't swallow oil, but it is a rare engine to find. I'm communicating with risingsunengines.com as we speak about engines, and reman-ufactured ones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

oh, and sorry for your loss rjonchan, but maybe in the long run its worth it.

Thanks for advice - will give Merlin a call and check out Rising Sun. Wish I'd read more information on the site, would have kept a closer eye on the oil usage...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Sorry to hear of your engine expiration. Since you're so close to Saint Louis though, I don't know if the St. Charles dealership would be willing to do anything about it seeing as how Isuzu tended to turn a blind eye to this problem, but you never know.

Regardless, if in need of any parts to get the rig back on the road, don't hesitate to at least give Merlin a call at St. Charles Isuzu. He's got the parts hookup, and can save you some $$$ if you mention www.vehicross.info.
    Isuzu cant make you check your oil levels to be sure they dont get too low though.....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    Isuzu cant make you check your oil levels to be sure they dont get too low though.....
    Oil levels shouldn't have needed to be checked so often on newer engines in the first place. Not all the Isuzu engines that expired took this many years to happen. (And not all engines that expired had a lot of mileage on them either, but since rjonchan hasn't stated the mileage on his engine at the time it gave up the ghost, his case is impossible to classify at the moment).

And it was a design flaw (or actually, a combination of flawed engine control systems) that caused the problems in the first place. Otherwise, Isuzu would have just kept putting the same piston rings back in as were originally used, and people wouldn't have started jury-rigging their EGR systems.

You're of course free to defend Isuzu about this specific issue if you want, but I've personally read too many stories on this site about owners who were pretty much left hung out to dry by Isuzu in cases like rjonchan's. That's not saying all owners who had this happen were, or that everyone at Isuzu should be grouped into the same category, but the powers that be at the time could have handled more of these occurences better than they actually did.

I mean, didn't it actually get to the point that there a class-action petition towards Isuzu being circulated years back regarding issues such as this? That type of thing doesn't usually happen because everyone is satisfied with the service they've received, or that should have been reasonably expected.