Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Easy Task for Most of You

Easy Task for Most of You

OK I just got the VX about a month back. I have been checking things out and started doing a little work on it. I need some help on a simple task. My CD changer is stuck - what's new. I want to take it out and try to get it unjamed -have tried all the things mentioned on the forum but still stuck. My problem is how do I get the covers off? I have checked the manuals but they don'e reall show me so I can understand. I have removed the screws on each side from the gear shift console to the back of where the changer is but nothing seems to move much. Anyway I do better with pictures - or seeing it done - than I do from reading. I am an OLD guy so the eye sight is not as good as it once was and that don't help. My VX is a 99. Any help would be apprecated and if this sounds confusing just ask me questions I will be glad to answer any and all to help get this done.

Thanks in Advance

I've had mine for a little over a year, the P.O.(previous owner) asked me if I got any of his CD's out of the player could he have them back. So I'm in the same boat, but i haven't even tried to get them out yet. lol. Waitin for colder weather.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

I don't know who the PO was so I don't have to worry about that. I just would like to get them out so I can see if the fix I read on this site works - Fix was to only put 5 CD's in it.

Look here (it's in the How2 section)

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=17
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

OK I will go back and see it I know what JAFO was talking about. I one of those guys that do better with pictures. Thanks for the help - by the way I did try and search for it but never found the posting you showed me.
    Thanks

Nemo, I'm a bit confused. Are you needing advise on how to remove the 'covers' from the dash so that you can remove the changer or are you needing advise on how to remove the 'covers' from the changer itself?
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

How2's don't pop up when you search the forums.

I seem to remember workmeister having a good thread on dash removal but I couldn't find it.

Gee, I didn't think anybody ever succeeded at "fixing" the CD player at all...the only fix is to yank it out and put in a new Head Unit w/CD and put a nice cubby box where the CD player was. Now mine "works fine!"
    I even got a heavy metal headbanger CD out of the deal!

Edit...I had a stereo shop do all of it...as I'm not qualified.....
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Nemo, I'm a bit confused. Are you needing advise on how to remove the 'covers' from the dash so that you can remove the changer or are you needing advise on how to remove the 'covers' from the changer itself?
    Zeus, I need to find out how to get the covers off of the CD changer and the "thing" below - a rounded panel with nothing on it. I have reviewed the manuals and read what I can find but I know it must be really simple just over my head..... I have removed the screws on each side of the CD changer and tried to remove the shift cover but something is holing it in place. Since it is all jamed in there tight fit it is hard figure out which comes out first.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    How2's don't pop up when you search the forums.

I seem to remember workmeister having a good thread on dash removal but I couldn't find it.
    OK I read the post and went out and looked at my VX. There appears to be about 7 screws holding the dash trim in place. I can't see how that will help get the changer (and piece below) out? Will continue to check it out.

The trim around the CD changer just pulls out. Give it yank - you'll see. Once you remove the trim piece, you'll see the screws you need to remove in order to get the CD changer out. You don't need to remove the "rounded panel" below it - that's just a cover for the powertrain control module.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPro48 View Post
    The trim around the CD changer just pulls out. Give it yank - you'll see. Once you remove the trim piece, you'll see the screws you need to remove in order to get the CD changer out. You don't need to remove the "rounded panel" below it - that's just a cover for the powertrain control module.

yup he's right... the 'silver' part of the dash around the changer just unclips and pulls off...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Zeus, I need to find out how to get the covers off of the CD changer and the "thing" below - a rounded panel with nothing on it. I have reviewed the manuals and read what I can find but I know it must be really simple just over my head..... I have removed the screws on each side of the CD changer and tried to remove the shift cover but something is holing it in place. Since it is all jamed in there tight fit it is hard figure out which comes out first.
    Oh ok. I took out my CD changer and added a CB in its place. I don't remember it being difficult at all so I'm puzzled about your issue. The roundish cover under the changer hides a computer. There are four tabs sticking out of it, two on top and two on the bottom (all hidden of course). Put all 8 fingers on the top of the cover (try to get your outermost fingers as far back along the corners as you can), apply some even gentle pressure downward and begin to pull it away from the dash; the top two should let go by doing this. Move your hands down along the sides making sure the cover doesn't go back in place. You should now be able to unhook the lower two tabs as well and slide it out. Replacing it can be a bear sometimes too. You shouldn't need to remove it to get to the changer though if I remember correctly... Good news right!? It sounds to me like you have already removed that lower bezel (that goes around the changer and lighter) from the dash and have taken a look at how the changer is mounted behind that. I think you may have to remove the whole dash bezel to get the outer "U" shaped part of the dash off to get to the sides of the changer. Don't forget the screw that is behind the glove box door. I would leave that little bubble cover under the changer in place until you get the other parts of the dash out of the way, then decide if you want to see what's behind it.

OK SlowPro48 and pbkid I am going to check that out tomorrow. I hope it is that easy. I was concerned if I started pulling on things I would end up breaking something and need to buy some parts.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    OK SlowPro48 and pbkid I am going to check that out tomorrow. I hope it is that easy. I was concerned if I started pulling on things I would end up breaking something and need to buy some parts.
    It is that easy, but be gentle. I've removed several in the salvage yard,(Rodeo dash, same as VX) & even going slow, managed to break one of the tabs off the back on about half of them...

8-10 year old plastic gets a bit brittle...
    Last edited by Ldub : 10/27/2009 at 06:39 AM