Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VX cutting off on me, can't find anything wrong

VX cutting off on me, can't find anything wrong

Was driving to work Friday before last and got about 2 or 3 miles from home when my check engine light, oil light, and battery light all popped on and the engine cut out just I was pulling up to a stop light. I sat there confused for a second then put it in park, turned the key, and it started right back up. I turned around and drove home and then to the dealer with no problems at all. The dealer kept it overnight but couldn't get it to cut off and the diagnostics didn't show anything.

Went to pick the VX up on Saturday and got about 5 minutes down the road and it cut off again. I could tell something was wrong when the blower fan started slowing down and speeding up all of a sudden. Then the same thing: check engine, oil, and battery lights came on and the engine shut down. I pulled to the shoulder, it started right back up, and I drove straight back to the dealer.

The dealer kept it all week and couldn't find any problems or recreate the engine shutoff. We figured that both times it cut off on me it was raining. So they ran it while hosing the engine down with water. Nothing. They drove it when it rained again. Nothing. I picked it up tonight and drove home without any problem at all. I'm nervous to drive it at highway speeds for fear that it shuts off while I'm on the interstate or something. Has anyone had the same problem, and did you ever figure it out?

First thing to do is change your "Fuel Filter"!!! It sounds like an intermittent clogged fuel filter symptom. While you're under the hood, put in a new Air Filter element as well. Then see how it goes and see if the symptoms return before making any drastic changes. In addition, make sure you're using high-octane 93 gas in the tank.

Check your battery cables on your posts and other cable connections. Clean your battery posts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Change your idle air control valve, if that doesn't work, the EGR. I went through the same thing for over a year before figuring it out. I thought it was the Mass Airflow for the longest time...
    macintosh man

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    First thing to do is change your "Fuel Filter"!!! While you're under the hood, put in a new Air Filter element as well.
    You must have really long arms...

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I had the same problem, swapped out idle control valves and replaced fuel pressure regulator and problem solved.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    You must have really long arms...

LOL
    Dakar was just the begining.

Check the ground connection by drivers side front headlight, it will cause intermitant problems like you are discribing
    OttoVx

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JoeU View Post
    Was driving to work Friday before last and got about 2 or 3 miles from home when my check engine light, oil light, and battery light all popped on and the engine cut out just I was pulling up to a stop light. I sat there confused for a second then put it in park, turned the key, and it started right back up. I turned around and drove home and then to the dealer with no problems at all. The dealer kept it overnight but couldn't get it to cut off and the diagnostics didn't show anything.

Went to pick the VX up on Saturday and got about 5 minutes down the road and it cut off again. I could tell something was wrong when the blower fan started slowing down and speeding up all of a sudden. Then the same thing: check engine, oil, and battery lights came on and the engine shut down. I pulled to the shoulder, it started right back up, and I drove straight back to the dealer.

The dealer kept it all week and couldn't find any problems or recreate the engine shutoff. We figured that both times it cut off on me it was raining. So they ran it while hosing the engine down with water. Nothing. They drove it when it rained again. Nothing. I picked it up tonight and drove home without any problem at all. I'm nervous to drive it at highway speeds for fear that it shuts off while I'm on the interstate or something. Has anyone had the same problem, and did you ever figure it out?

BTW Your VX is probably having stroke symptoms.

I'll start with the fuel filter,then check the battery's ground cable make sure isn't bit loose or broken.

Your should also have the battery amperage's tested to make sure is delivering the right amount of power.

i think the check engine light, battery light etc are just symptoms of the vx cutting off, try putting the key in the ignition, and turning to ACC mode (right before the vx starts to crank) you will probably see the same lights on

ill put my money on the problem being fuel related, id start with the fuel filter, if it stalls again, the fuel pressure regulator, i had my vx stall on me a few times maybe 2 years ago, since replacing the fuel filter it never happened again, but still had kind of a funny idle problem on occasion, replacing the fuel pressure regulator took care of that

Thanks for all the replies. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Joe,

Is yours the Ebony with the bra? If so, I'm the one that left the calling card on your dash while it was at the dealer.

I've only had mine cut out once at a stop light (as you described in your first incident). It happened just after I left the car wash.

Since it never happened again, I assumed I just got a puddle of water under one of the ignition coils. That seems to be a common problem with some of the other owners in the past.

You can jump in & start with the Fuel Pressure Regulator but first I'd pull each coil pack & spark plug. It's probably time for a new set of plugs anyway. It's probably time for a new fuel filter too so might as well start with both of those & then move on from there.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Tom,

Yeah, she's looking a little ragged these days, but that was mine. Thanks for putting the card in there. I'm going to go through the list of suggestions here and hopefully that will take of it.

Talking If like me you are too big

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    First thing to do is change your "Fuel Filter"!!! It sounds like an intermittent clogged fuel filter symptom. While you're under the hood, put in a new Air Filter element as well. Then see how it goes and see if the symptoms return before making any drastic changes. In addition, make sure you're using high-octane 93 gas in the tank.
    to fit under the hood these maintainance issues can be done with the hood in the raised position and you get far more natural light to see what you are doing

Quote Originally Posted by JoeU View Post
    Tom,

Yeah, she's looking a little ragged these days, but that was mine. Thanks for putting the card in there. I'm going to go through the list of suggestions here and hopefully that will take of it.
    Cool - you were my first 'pass along card' (I feel dirty now tho).

If you need help wrenchin, send me a PM.