Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hallowharrie 09

Hallowharrie 09

Here are a few clips from Hallowharrie 09 in Uwharrie National Forest in North Carolina.
    The ledges my wife filmed are the hardest obstacles in the park, if you search youtube, there are a ton of videos. I was lucky (as usual) and made it up both ledges with no strap, and on a bald spare tire. I ripped open one of my nice new AT2s about 1 hour before these videos, changed the tire on the trail with my airbag, which came in handy later on that day for a Rodeo that was pinned on some rocks and strapping him out would not work. Yippee for my gadgets!!!

Here is a good shot of the bumper....it worked like a champ, I pushed up on poser rock, full weight on the bumper and drove up it, and back down, the bumper held, no bending, no deformation...success
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoWN8m-m1ds

I will add a few more videos, they are a couple of minutes long, so youtube is still processing.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Another video, for those that are lurkers,or regulars, this ledge is the exact same one that Billy (Triathelete) posted up of the Jeep liberty that was locked that had so much trouble...I hate to boast, but I would like to attest my consistently lucky success (I just started wheeling in April of this year) to the VX and to good throttle control. I cannot imagine wheeling in anything other than a hard soled boot, which allows perfect pedal positioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJhoN9z32Ec

Marlin, that second video is a nasty little ledge.
    Very impressive.

Well done in getting up so smoothly.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

MARLIN--- Excellent videos!!! You also picked the perfect lines of attack on the obstacles and went very slow and methodical. Awesome job, my man. You Rule!!!

1999 (2001) Radiant Red 157/175 "lil pwny"
    Brilliant work in that second video mate. love the look of your front bumper. i did notice (or it could have just been my eyes) that your radiator is exposed. I personally would be worried about entry angles and damage to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I was lucky (as usual) and made it up both ledges with no strap, and on a bald spare tire. I ripped open one of my nice new AT2s about 1 hour before these videos
    MMmmmmm...light weight tires (I just had to)

Looks like a good time! Buy the little lady a tri pod...i'm dizzy!
    Last edited by Triathlete : 10/25/2009 at 06:22 PM
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Here is the other ledge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrWm7uUvVY8
    As for the tripod, if you saw what she had to hike up to get a decent spot...she was a trooper for sure.

My next video series will probably be on either BFG KM2 MTs or the Procomp AT extremes off of my expy. I will not trail a light weight tire again. They are the perfect cosmetic/weekeind warrior AT tire though.

Great driving!! The VX still amazes me. Think about the new MT K2.imho They are great,even on the street.Low noise.Way better than the old mt's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

OOPS! missed your post

Thumbs up

Chris,
    Way to represent!
    Could a VX wihout your bumper mod made it up those ledges without scratching the front cladding?
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    Chris,
    Way to represent!
    Could a VX wihout your bumper mod made it up those ledges without scratching the front cladding?
    Peace.
    Tom
    Yes, but not the same lines I took. NJVX99 was there, he made it up one of em, but took a different line.
    You definitely could not do poser rock, I rode the bumper halfway up that rock and subsequently back down. It did exactly what I planned it to do

On a side note, the spare tire never touched the ground, even on the vertical "poser" rock you will see in my gallery. It would have to get past the draw bar first.
    here is a link to the first half of photos we took: My two boys had a blast in the back of the VX and slept on half of the trails, they can sleep anywhere.
    http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/a...allowharrie09/
    Last edited by Marlin : 10/25/2009 at 05:35 PM

Here is the final video I have.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaRifve9yTQ

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    nice marlin, looks like fun!

love the look of the bumper with the improved height and distance from the front..... looks x100 better..
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Well, I made it up both ledges, though the first was straped up to keep the front down. I did not want to give it too much gas as I was a litt;e closer to the wall and knew the front left tire was gonna be in the air and with the front locker and an 8 hour drive home, I did not want to break the CV.

On the second ledge I wanted to go up the line you had, but JoeD, who I competely trust as a spotter, wanted to take me up the far right line to see what it was like for the trucks to follow. Looked a little easier to control on your line.

Good car control, I couldn't watch you on any of the ledges though since I was constantly at the end of a tow strap in the front trying to move others up the trail.

Had a good time, and I got a little rash on the front drivers bumper trying to get JoeD past me in between the ledges so he could tow strap for a bit.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

HAPPY HALLOWHARRIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    ...I hate to boast...
    BUWAHAHAHA! Yeah right! You love to boast as much as I love to torment! I hate to encourage you... but I was impressed with what you could do with your VX in Moab and your skills on the East coast look about the same. That area looks like some fun! BTW, your bumper looks waaaay better tucked up in it's new spot. Thinking about doing any blending with the fenders at all? It looks like that's all you need to do to finish it all up.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"