Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Highly considering selling

Question Highly considering selling

I hate to write this. It makes me want to cry, but I cannot afford to keep my Proton. It's paid off, but with the ongoing "VX" maintenance, having to pay for school, being (basically) in between jobs, just finished remodeling our bathroom (which HAD to be done), I am in the hole more than my pockets can bear. I don't want to just give her away, but I do want her to go to a caring home. I am just throwing the line out there. I haven't set this in stone yet. Trying to get advice from the fam is all. Having a two VX home isn't easy...it's like having twins! YIPES!

What she's got:
    2001, Proton, 96k miles, 32" BFG A/T's, OME Springs, Roof rack, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Window Tint, New Bilstein shocks (less than 500 miles), Full size spare, Weather Tech Wind deflectors, debadged.

She's in good condition and drives great. The 6-disc changer just went out of commission, and the ABS is tempermental.

Since day one I have:
    Regular (Mobil1) oil changes (every 3k or 3 months)
    New washer fluid hoses
    New Hood popper cable (it was rusted)
    Enabled the alarm system through key fob donations (Dub and Biju)
    New Serpentine Belt
    New Water pump pulley
    New U-Joints
    New Left Front Axel Barring
    Replaced fuse box relay (I believe that was because
    the dimmer switch didn't work)
    Replaced battery terminals
    ...more to come, gotta get the print out from the mechanic.

Do you think I can get a decent price for her? Suggestions for a new, 4WD, foreign (Preferrably Japanese) SUV? I want something under warranty and reliable... Need 4WD in Chicago, winter SUCKS!

Please help!!!
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

I do not see how

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post
    I hate to write this. It makes me want to cry, but I cannot afford to keep my Proton. It's paid off, but with the ongoing "VX" maintenance, having to pay for school, being (basically) in between jobs, just finished remodeling our bathroom (which HAD to be done), I am in the hole more than my pockets can bear. I don't want to just give her away, but I do want her to go to a caring home. I am just throwing the line out there. I haven't set this in stone yet. Trying to get advice from the fam is all. Having a two VX home isn't easy...it's like having twins! YIPES!

What she's got:
    2001, Proton, 96k miles, 32" BFG A/T's, OME Springs, Roof rack, Rocky Road Super Sliders, Window Tint, New Bilstein shocks (less than 500 miles), Full size spare, Weather Tech Wind deflectors, debadged.

She's in good condition and drives great. The 6-disc changer just went out of commission, and the ABS is tempermental.

Since day one I have:
    Regular (Mobil1) oil changes (every 3k or 3 months)
    New washer fluid hoses
    New Hood popper cable (it was rusted)
    Enabled the alarm system through key fob donations (Dub and Biju)
    New Serpentine Belt
    New Water pump pulley
    New U-Joints
    New Left Front Axel Barring
    Replaced fuse box relay (I believe that was because
    the dimmer switch didn't work)
    Replaced battery terminals
    ...more to come, gotta get the print out from the mechanic.

Do you think I can get a decent price for her? Suggestions for a new, 4WD, foreign (Preferrably Japanese) SUV? I want something under warranty and reliable... Need 4WD in Chicago, winter SUCKS!

Please help!!!
    you can save money making new car payments as opposed to the occasional VX repair. Sure if you did not need a new car anything you got for your VX could go toward bills but I think buying a new car just puts you deeper in the hole IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    you can save money making new car payments as opposed to the occasional VX repair.
    YES! Because I just got my car from the mechanic Friday after he had it for 3.5 weeks. During that 3.5 weeks I was driving Gill's and he was taking his Harley to work. Winter is coming and he can't drive the bike in winter. My VX had to be taken back to the shop this morning because the problem isn't fixed. Soon I will be renting a car because I can't keep taking Gill's! Plus, Gill needs new injectors!!! His CEL light just came on. We don't wrench we write checks remember... At least with a new ride it will be under warranty and cost around the same if not less. Little problems would be covered. I decided to take the money I saved up for school and put that toward a new car and take out student loans next semester, since everyone else has student loans. I need something reliable, I would hate to get stranded during winter, AGAIN! If I had a steady job, I would keep it. But my pay depends on tips, I bartend. And I can expect a car payment, I can't expect repair bills...

wow

YES! Because I just got my car from the mechanic Friday after he had it for 3.5 weeks. During that 3.5 weeks I was driving Gill's and he was taking his Harley to work. Winter is coming and he can't drive the bike in winter. My VX had to be taken back to the shop this morning because the problem isn't fixed. Soon I will be renting a car because I can't keep taking Gill's! Plus, Gill needs new injectors!!! His CEL light just came on. We don't wrench we write checks remember... At least with a new ride it will be under warranty and cost around the same if not less. Little problems would be covered. I decided to take the money I saved up for school and put that toward a new car and take out student loans next semester, since everyone else has student loans. I need something reliable, I would hate to get stranded during winter, AGAIN! If I had a steady job, I would keep it. But my pay depends on tips, I bartend. And I can expect a car payment, I can't expect repair bills...
    looks like you have done the math. I hope I did not upset you mentioning it?

seriously think about it,a car payment will probably be in the $300-$400 a month range for something decent!!
    I can't think of anything else I would want.Maybe FJ or Rubicon as far as 4wd if I go back to a car... a VW GTI that would make my 8th VW
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    My opinion, and we know about those, is that its still cheaper to fix the VX, I say get a meet together and get some nice wrenchers to help you guys! We would do that here in Texas!

Also, to get something comparable and under warranty, easy $400 a month.....

Maybe you are just frustrated right now because of recent problems.......and it may not be a good time to make a decision?? LOL
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

It sounds like a stress thing, worrying about a potential problem that you may not have money for vs. a consistent payment that you know you have to come up with.

What if you still get student loans and save the money for potential repairs? Just a thought.

I am getting annoyed with my VX too. Just always seems to be something and it gets frustrating. That is one reason we didn’t get one for Cari.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5

horrible news cece... sorry to hear it. but i can completely understand it.

the VX is just plainly not the most efficient vehicle to own if you dont have the money to take care of it.

although i do hope that there is another VX in your future once financial problems cease.

i know they are kinda dumpy cars for convienences but the saturns are actually decent cars, and you can get a 'redline' edition vue that runs almost 300hp. with a 100k mile warranty. and used they run about 15k. i was looking into these when i decided to sell my VX.

but then a wonderfully maintained 4runner just fell into my lap. and yes, its boring as hell to drive but i have had it for a month and the only thing i've done is charged the battery up. and dont forsee any other problems. i even came out 5k up on the deal (which definately helps with school costs). and that also means that i get to spend a little on some toys for it, which is fun.

hope you can get something that you enjoy at least a little bit...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    seriously think about it,a car payment will probably be in the $300-$400 a month range for something decent!!
    I can't think of anything else I would want.Maybe FJ or Rubicon as far as 4wd if I go back to a car... a VW GTI that would make my 8th VW
    Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    It sounds like a stress thing, worrying about a potential problem that you may not have money for vs. a consistent payment that you know you have to come up with.

What if you still get student loans and save the money for potential repairs? Just a thought.

I am getting annoyed with my VX too. Just always seems to be something and it gets frustrating. That is one reason we didn’t get one for Cari.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post

horrible news cece... sorry to hear it. but i can completely understand it.

the VX is just plainly not the most efficient vehicle to own if you dont have the money to take care of it.

although i do hope that there is another VX in your future once financial problems cease.

i know they are kinda dumpy cars for convienences but the saturns are actually decent cars, and you can get a 'redline' edition vue that runs almost 300hp. with a 100k mile warranty. and used they run about 15k. i was looking into these when i decided to sell my VX.

but then a wonderfully maintained 4runner just fell into my lap. and yes, its boring as hell to drive but i have had it for a month and the only thing i've done is charged the battery up. and dont forsee any other problems. i even came out 5k up on the deal (which definately helps with school costs). and that also means that i get to spend a little on some toys for it, which is fun.

hope you can get something that you enjoy at least a little bit...
    X2...I know that ya gotta do what ya gotta do Lil' Sister, but give it some more thought.
    I know you won't be gone gone, you'll still get to live vicariously by channeling the GilL Man's VX...
    But seriously...
    Last edited by Ldub : 10/22/2009 at 10:07 PM Reason: added an ell

Nuh uh, I bet you're really just hiding the fact you're pregnant!

BTW, when you mention perhaps selling your VX to someone, maybe you don't want it to seem like it's going to break down again...

Just buy your Ironman back from dad!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post

BTW, when you mention perhaps selling your VX to someone, maybe you don't want it to seem like it's going to break down again...
    lol, probably a very valid point

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    Maybe you are just frustrated right now because of recent problems.......and it may not be a good time to make a decision?? LOL
    2nd that one too. But, you could always list the VX for sale to see what kind of interest there might be, and since it usually takes awhile to find a potential buyer anyway, you'd be able to give the current situation more thought in the meantime.

There's another way to look at this anyway. Rather than be sad that life is conspiring to try to make you sell something you obviously don't want to sell and throw in the , get angry that life is conspiring to try to make you sell something you obviously don't want to sell and FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT!!

I have definitely thought the same thing many of times, as most of us here have probably thought, but it is not only what kind of money you will be loosing making a new car payment it is the money lost in the investments you made on your VX. Once a mod goes onto a vehicle you will never see that money back, but you don't loose the value personally unless you sell it. $300-$400 payment every month on a new (used) car would pay for lots of rentals and lots of repair bills on a paid for car. At this point it just sounds like you are frustrated and tired of dealing with car "issues". Which is totally understandable, we all here have had those moments when the VX was in the shop and we were planning on how to sell it, but just remember those first few moments behind the wheel of the newly fixed VX, remember that feeling, no car will ever be perfect, no car will ever be maintanence free, it is your choice which car to gamble with and invest into, my choice for a long time will be my paid for VX We totally understand your thought process though

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    I have definitely thought the same thing many of times, as most of us here have probably thought, but it is not only what kind of money you will be loosing making a new car payment it is the money lost in the investments you made on your VX. Once a mod goes onto a vehicle you will never see that money back, but you don't loose the value personally unless you sell it. $300-$400 payment every month on a new (used) car would pay for lots of rentals and lots of repair bills on a paid for car. At this point it just sounds like you are frustrated and tired of dealing with car "issues". Which is totally understandable, we all here have had those moments when the VX was in the shop and we were planning on how to sell it, but just remember those first few moments behind the wheel of the newly fixed VX, remember that feeling, no car will ever be perfect, no car will ever be maintanence free, it is your choice which car to gamble with and invest into, my choice for a long time will be my paid for VX We totally understand your thought process though
    Dude said it well...

Selling the VX to buy new...

PROS:
    1 ~ New toy excitement!
    2 ~ Less fear of breakdowns, and a warranty just in case...
    3 ~ Known monthly payments
    4 ~ Slight improvement in gas mileage
    5 ~ More bells & whistles
    6 ~ $$$ spent to keep VX in good shape will never be recouped
    7 ~ The Dubster (and everyone else here) will continue to love you!

CONS:
    1 ~ Not owning an ISUZU VehiCROSS anymore...
    2 ~ Savings & $$$ from sale of VX used for down payment
    3 ~ Keep fixing stuff and soon it will be brand new again!
    4 ~ $$$ can't equal emotional value of VX

I know we have talked quite a bit about this, but I wanted to chime in here at VehiCROSS.info... My humble opinion (I know... everyboby has them) is that you do what makes you happy. Life's too short to be bummed. Get a new ride if you don't want to keep pouring $$$ into the VehiCROSS. A new ride will cost more, but it will be worth more money and peace of mind. We still have mine, and your old Ironman that Luie has. The fact that you have fixed so much on this VX is a plus. Any new owner will be glad you have had all this stuff done. That you want the peace of mind of a newer ride is WAY understandable. That's why I got a Harley... to replace my Ducati Monster. The Monster is AWESOME (when running well), but the HOG is better in every way (except leaning WAY over into corners & pulling wheelies). I once traded a 1991 5.0 Mustang LX for an '88 Formula Fiero (which I still wish I had, but am even more glad I got the VX). Bottom line is that you need to do what's best for you. If I, or your VX family, can help make this easier... kewlness.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS