Thread: Seat Extenders?!!?

Seat Extenders?!!?

Guys I heard about some seat extenders & I am praying they are still out there somewhere! I am 6'8" & fit in the VX pretty well but I would LOVE to have another inch or two of legroom! If anyone out there knows about these or has some to sell, please let me know! Also please include the space gain info.

Thanks again guys,

I'm picking up my VX this week sometime!

Jeremy Galvin

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Unhappy

First off...WELCOME to the Fam...

Unfortunately, the seat extenders in question were for moving the passenger seat forward, to allow easier access when loading peeps etc. into the rear seats.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Quote Originally Posted by galvinsc View Post
    Guys I heard about some seat extenders & I am praying they are still out there somewhere! I am 6'8" & fit in the VX pretty well but I would LOVE to have another inch or two of legroom! If anyone out there knows about these or has some to sell, please let me know! Also please include the space gain info.

Thanks again guys,

I'm picking up my VX this week sometime!

Jeremy Galvin

...and I thought I was tall (6'7"). Welcome to the fam!
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    First off...WELCOME to the Fam...

Unfortunately, the seat extenders in question were for moving the passenger seat forward, to allow easier access when loading peeps etc. into the rear seats.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
    ....Dub I think he's referring to the part on the front seat cushion of each front seat that you pull forward and it slides forward 3" to accommodate and better support the long-legged peeps when in the front seat.

If that's what you're referring to Galvinsc then it's built in, all the US based VXs with the Recaro seats have them.

When I read you were 6'8" I really didn't think you'd fit, but when I drove my VX today I got curious and measured it.

The seat cushion bottom- back to front - is 19"+3" extension = 22"
    With seat back as far as possible, from brake pedal to seat back is 41 1/2", so that's your absolute longest length for legs + butt.

I recall you said you were "all legs" so if you're a skinny build guy with "no butt" it will be all the better...gives you more distance for your legs.

Sounds like lastturbo can give you some real world idea of how well they work for your long legs.

Good luck getting your new toy! Enjoy!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Welcome Galvin,

I've often wondered how you tall folks fit in a VX. I'm 5'8" and my head touches the headliner when I'm driving.

It shouldn't be too difficult to move the driver's seat back a few inches if that's what you're looking for. One of our members who recently passed away (RIP Tone) used to sell some brackets to move the passenger seat forward to allow more access room to enter the back seat. That concept could be modified to do what you're looking for. Tone's brackets were nice in that it did not require any modification to the seats. For your application though, I think you'll have to bend part of the seat mounts flat so that you don't lose any headroom. I'll look at mine & see what might be possible. Unfortunately there aren't any fixes for you currently available. That's what makes this forum so valuable tho - we'll help you get'r done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

FYI - According to Tone there were three different versions of the seat extenders. The first gen pushed the passenger seat forward 4.5", but he got a lot of complaints that it was too much. So the second gen he cut back to 2.5", but got the opposite complaint. The version he sold me was 3.5", and it's the perfect length IMHO.

So that gives you an idea of what's out there if you had to acquire one of Tone's extenders for customization. Good luck and let us know what you do!

I'm 5" shorter than 6'8"...and I don't fit in a VX. Which is part of why I drive a Trooper. But he is "all legs", and I am long torso...
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    I'm 5" shorter than 6'8"...and I don't fit in a VX. Which is part of why I drive a Trooper. But he is "all legs", and I am long torso...
    I have no response to that.

Welcome to the family. I'm sure someone will come up with a solution.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 10/16/2009 at 07:18 PM

I need to have someone take a pic of me in my Astral as I thought I fit pretty good with some seat back tilt. I have long legs too.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    If only ya knew....

Quote Originally Posted by lasturbo View Post
    I need to have someone take a pic of me in my Astral .

...a ""photographer""!!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I got really excited when I saw the title to this thread "seat extenders". Then I realized they were talkin front to back and what I was lookin for was 'seat wideners'. That's the problem with bucket seats, some of us have bigger buckets than others. I guess there's no way to widen the seats without widening the doors...Oh well where are ya Tone when I need ya? Oh and Swede I'm about 2' below 6'8".
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"