Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: time to get new tires

time to get new tires

so after a few months of denial, i came to the realization that i need to get new tires over thanksgiving break. As far as i know they still are the original tires as the car only has 55,000 miles on it. I called my local discount tire and they said they can hook me up with a set of Yokohama's for 586 with install i cant remember the model number of the tire off the top of my head. Any thoughts on the brand and quality?

Really need to know the model and size before anyone can give you authoritative guidance (unless Riff has the time to research all the Yokohama options and rate each one for you, which he's been nice enough to do in the past) on quality, price, etc.

Btw, time to get a new font/size for your posts... I feel like I'm being screamed at for my thoughts.

Thumbs up General Grabber HTS 255/55R18

General Grabber HTS 255/55R18

Really a good, all around tire.

More at:
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14349

BLUF:
    12/25/09 - Just a quick snow update on the General Grabber HTS 255/55R18 for $113 each @ tirerack.com

These tires absolutely rock in the snow! They don't look to have aggressive-enough tread, bucking the conventional wisdom of self-clearing lugs, but these things are incredible when plowing, and even when stopping/starting on the ice.

I have driven a number of different Land Rovers in the snow/ice with M/T, aggressive A/T, and moderate A/T tires. I have never had the kind of control I am enjoying in the VX on the 'moderate A/T' Grabber HTS. Much of the credit goes to the VX itself, but TOD, ABS and weight-over-the-wheels doesn't help you much when stopping on a sheet of ice. 'Only the tires save you then...
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

the tire model is the Yokohama yk520

Get 285/60/18 Nitto Terra Grappler. That's the one that makes the VX look complete.
    Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    if it is possible to make the VX look any better, that's the tire.
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Lightbulb Geez

too bad we do not have a search engine that would show all the posts with all the different tires people have written aboutand evaluated. Perhaps a recomended section where everyone can recomend the tires they have. That way those poor people wanting to buy new tires wouldnt have to post their question everytime. We should really help tese people out.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    too bad we do not have a search engine that would show all the posts with all the different tires people have written aboutand evaluated. Perhaps a recomended section where everyone can recomend the tires they have. That way those poor people wanting to buy new tires wouldnt have to post their question everytime. We should really help tese people out.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Isn't that why we keep riff around?......

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Thanx Ldub & VT-Maverick for your kind supportive comments. Yes, I'll send an E-Mail to MoonRover and "shake the tree's & rake the leaves". I'll get a feeling on his tire preference, and then make a variety of possible suggestions in various sizes tailored to his specific wants/desires.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Thanx Ldub & VT-Maverick for your kind supportive comments. Yes, I'll send an E-Mail to MoonRover and "shake the tree's & rake the leaves". I'll get a feeling on his tire preference, and then make a variety of possible suggestions in various sizes tailored to his specific wants/desires.
    riff in all reality, you really are the most thorough and educated person i have ever seen considering tires

thanks for your help.
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    riff in all reality, you really are the most thorough and educated person i have ever seen considering tires

thanks for your help.
    x2!! ill def. be searching your posts come tire time. good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVXer99 View Post
    x2!! ill def. be searching your posts come tire time. good stuff
    Just give me a shout anytime (PM or E-Mail), glad to help. Thanx for the shout-out Peanut Butter Kid, I truly appreciate your kind words of support. Yes, I'm currently working with MoonRover "behind the scenes" by private E-Mail to help him finalize his tire decision within his budget. He lives in Chicago, IL and has some very unique challenges, namely "SNOW". I'm determined to find him something that meets his explicit parameters.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Hahaha
    Good question LOL

Riff raff ya da man !
    Dakar was just the begining.

Thumbs up

Nitto Terra Grappler. That's the one that makes the VX look complete
    X2

Success!!! Well, MoonRover wanted to stay within the $120 -- $150 price mark per tire range and prefers the wider 285/60R18 (31.3" O.D.) size, as opposed to the taller 275/65R18 (32" O.D.). After considering numerous brands/models; it seems the COOPER - ZEON "LTZ" is once again the hands-down winner with the unique "shattered glass" tread pattern from www.Treadepot.com, which has them currently on sale for only $120 each (a true bargain). The Nitto T/G is a way too expensive and a bit too heavy when compared to the "LTZ". MoonRover will be following in the exact same footsteps of fellow VX member "SPIKE" (and originally spear-headed by member "VX-KAT").

VX-KAT--- Thank you so very much for your outstanding pictures in your Photo Gallery!!! Whenever I mention the Cooper - Zeon "LTZ", I always refer people to visit your specific gallery. Your pictures have incredible detail from every angle and clearly show fellow VX'ers the look/stance of the remarkable "LTZ".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...