Thread: Engine swap question

Engine swap question

If one were to install a different engine in the vx...say a sb v8 could we keep the 4wd no problem?

Search for the Axiom Engine Swap thread and take a read. That should give you an idea of the problems you'll face, even when you're using another identically sized Isuzu engine, much less a SB V8.

I think someone here was thinking of swapping an LS1 into their VX, but I don't think it ever got off the ground.

no problem

How big a check can you write?

Not real big lol. I'll check out the axiom thing. Sounds like upgraded internals and turbo is the way to go then

MrMonk

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmonk7663 View Post
    Not real big lol. I'll check out the axiom thing. Sounds like upgraded internals and turbo is the way to go then
    Welcome aboard! Glad to see you can appreciate a joke. Seriously we try to help each other out as much as possible here and you have some on here (not me) who have more knowledge than an Isuzu dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Search for the Axiom Engine Swap thread and take a read. That should give you an idea of the problems you'll face, even when you're using another identically sized Isuzu engine, much less a SB V8.

I think someone here was thinking of swapping an LS1 into their VX, but I don't think it ever got off the ground.
    It did but the electrical was a nightmare and I think that was the end of it, IIRC.

The electrical is 80% of your problem with any swap. Engine, tranny, drivetrain, ECU, misc wiring.... more work that it is worth if you ask me. In the VX's case (given a VX, Axion, Trooper), a swap is going to be the end of your existing AWD.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I'm not "above" a small block Chevy V8 engine swap - down the road, and with the required "windfall" of $ that it would take. My current driveline is performing FLAWLESSLY though - ZERO oil consumption, smoove shifts, no driveline noises, AWD works perfectly. If I DO do a SBC schwap, it would involve removing the ENTIRE drivetrain, lowering the stance by 1-3 inches, and setting it up w/2WD and Positraction, prolly w/a beefed up 480 trannie, and full emissions/computer from whatever donor vehicle (Camaro or Corvette) I ganked it from...

Ya' never know from where ya' sit how your pants hang, but from where *I* sit NOW, I'm more inclined to go "full electric", assuming the driveline swap is several years down the road. By then the battery technology will be infinitely better than now; hell, a man MIGHT even be able to get a full electric donor vehicle out of the 'yard...

Electric would be cool but I want 4wd. What is the benefit of the axiom engine...was something revised to make oil control better ?

I think the 02 and 03 model years saw a small rise in horsepower and efficiency, but nothing worth swapping for IMHO. In 04 (the last model year) Isuzu introduced a direct injection engine which increased horsepower slightly again as well as improved fuel economy. My understanding is that the 02-03 engine is a challenge, but the more advanced 04 engine is "a bridge too far."