Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any advise on glue for window fix + ball joint flip help

Any advise on glue for window fix + ball joint flip help

Im tackling the window tilt problem this weekend and intend to glue the window back to the plastic tab. I just cant find a suitable product in the UK thats going to go off quick enough. Any ideas? Also does that fix hold? as there aren't any new tabs available here.

im also flipping the ball joints and repairing the passenger side ball joint gaitor, just wondering if its best to use the jack to get the lower arm back up after the ball joints flipped with axle stands under the chasis or to put the jack under the chasis and an axle stand under the wishbone? Or stick the wheel back on and lower it back down enough to get it seated and the castle nut back on?

Also tightning the drivers side wheel bearing as its loose.

oh and replaceing the fan belt tensioner bearing
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    I'm also flipping the ball joints and repairing the passenger side ball joint gaitor, just wondering if its best to use the jack to get the lower arm back up after the ball joints flipped with axle stands under the chasis or to put the jack under the chasis and an axle stand under the wishbone? Or stick the wheel back on and lower it back down enough to get it seated and the castle nut back on?
    Here is how I managed it...

This is with the frame on jack stands, using a floor jack under the lower control arm.

CR,

After 11-12 years, those plastic tabs are gonna be brittle. I would highly recommend using SBC's upgrade. I have a spare one at home. Want me to check on shipping cost?

As far as adhesive: if you are reapplying the plastic tabs, I'd use PC-7 (I can't buy it local anymore so I need to see if it can be ordered on line) ... if you are installing the SBC brackets, I'd use black RTV since it's strong, adheres to glass & metal but can be reworked if necessary.

Tom
    Last edited by tom4bren : 09/11/2009 at 06:39 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    CR,

After 11-12 years, those plastic tabs are gonna be brittle. I would highly recommend using SBC's upgrade. I have a spare one at home. Want me to check on shipping cost?

As far as adhesive: if you are reapplying the plastic tabs, I'd use PC-7 (I can't buy it local anymore so I need to see if it can be ordered on line ... if you are installing the SBC brackets, I'd use black RTV since it's strong, adheres to glass & metal but can be reworked if necessary.

Tom
    I can get PC-7 locally in any flavour you desire, (they have different formulas for hi-temp, steel, wood, etc) let me know if I can be of assistance...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I can get PC-7 locally in any flavour you desire, (they have different formulas for hi-temp, steel, wood, etc) let me know if I can be of assistance...
    Thanks. I'll let you know. I also need to pick up some PC-11 to install the depth finder on my boat.

Thanks. I'll let you know. I also need to pick up some PC-11 to install the depth finder on my boat.
    I'll check what they have at my local fav hardware when I'm out & about later, & post a complete list of what they stock.

The last time I was in there, I noticed they had an amazing selection of the "PC" line, along with a huge variety of other epoxies...

CR,

As far as adhesive: if you are reapplying the plastic tabs, I'd use PC-7 (I can't buy it local anymore so I need to see if it can be ordered on line) ... if you are installing the SBC brackets, I'd use black RTV since it's strong, adheres to glass & metal but can be reworked if necessary.

Tom
    Thanks ! is that 1 set (both brackets) ? Ship to

LONDON
    SW10 9EL

I have a complete spare set (don't ask why). I'll check into postage.

Thanks Bud! I'll hold off on it. you got a paypal account?

Naw - just make a donation to the site to compensate for the Moncha roasting I did in another thread

Weight in at a mere 148lbs, I was unable to muscle it like Dub... so I used this method.

HA!!

Worked!

Ratcheting Tie down, and a railroad tie as a filler since the strap needed to tighten further.

Screwdrivers were to help line up the holes...

On the other side I was able to use the neighboring fence at the post really low, and just ratchet straight down. Hindsight... probably should have asked a neighbor for a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I'll check what they have at my local fav hardware when I'm out & about later, & post a complete list of what they stock.

The last time I was in there, I noticed they had an amazing selection of the "PC" line, along with a huge variety of other epoxies...
    As promised...

PC Farenheit.(up to 500 deg)...1 oz. $5.00
    PC Lumber.(for wood.....duh)...1 oz. $6.00
    PC 11.............(Marine)..........2 oz. $6.00
    PC 7........(Multi use-general)..2 oz. $6.00
    PC Plumbing.....(guess)..........2 oz. $6.00
    PC Metal.........(again)...........2 oz. $6.00
    PC Crete.......(for concrete)....2 oz. $6.00

Thumbs up

Naw - just make a donation to the site to compensate for the Moncha roasting I did in another thread
    Thanks Tom thats really nice of you !!!!!!!! I'll PM you my address if you have the parts?

Oh dear !! Got 2 new ball joints coming, they weren't in a very good state!!!

Be interested to hear how you get on James as my drivers door needs doing too.

Nick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1997 Vehicross with mods coming! --- 1995 Pajero with lots of mods!
    2000 Audi Allroad - Wife won't let me mod

Owner of the Four Wheel Drive Club in the UK - pop in and say hi! Click pic for link.