Thread: She's been with me going on six years now.

She's been with me going on six years now.

She gets fed twice a day...and she isn't shy about letting me know it's time.

I feed her eight fish each time, takes her about 30 seconds to finish.

Her favorite place is in the middle of that rug, listening to music.

Tell her she's a pretty girl and she'll do this or spread one of her wings out and preen but I can't get her to do that for the camera. Stands over three feet tall and has a five foot wingspan. Brings her fella by on their last day and I feed them both, then she stays on a couple of months while I fatten her up. After that, I don't see them for another six months.

She's a bit shy around my gal and friends but she's like a pup to me. I'm a lucky fella.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool

She's a beauty...

I also enjoy encounters with the animal kingdom...well, with the exception of badgers & other critters what got no sense of humor...

A few years ago I had a little squirrel pal that would be waiting for me when I came home from work. She would climb up the leg of my jeans to get the peanut that I held at waist height.
    Too bad squirrels don't live all that long, especially on a busy one way...

Also, nice kitchen... I built cabinets for a few years not that long ago, & always enjoyed the job more if the home owner had good taste in stain color & hardware...you would have easily qualified...

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Whoa what a funky Bird!

What is it ?

Awesome story btw and same with Mr Dub XD

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    She's a beauty...

Also, nice kitchen... I built cabinets for a few years not that long ago, & always enjoyed the job more if the home owner had good taste in stain color & hardware...you would have easily qualified...
    Thanks, Ldub...I like to cook, so the first thing I do when I get a new place is gut the kitchen and design one that suits me. It's all cherry on the outside, with maple bits inside. Dovetails and full extensions, of course. Took a couple of months to get that granite into port but then I laid the two slabs out so the veins run down the wall and across the counters...works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprey View Post
    Whoa what a funky Bird!

What is it ?

Awesome story btw and same with Mr Dub XD
    Don't know much about them, Sprey. Learned a bit from the agronomist that takes care of my property. He told me it's a female Great White Egret, that the males stay on the nest while the females roam for food. Said they are known for not coming around humans other than to snatch food and run off. Said he's spent most of his life down here but never saw one act like she does.

She is the cleanest animal I've ever had around, never makes a mess of any sort. She flies about the inside of the house yet never knocks anything over. She comes when called, eats only when it's offered, I tell her to go to the bathroom and she heads outside to do her business before returning.

Tell her to get a drink of water and she's straight out to the pool. Tell her there is a lizard and point, she's off to get it...does an odd thing, sways her head back and forth almost like she's putting the prey in a trance, then strikes. Incredible sight and reflexes. Only eats meat, talons like a hawk and that beak is a six inch dagger and the inside feels like a hacksaw. I'll be sitting outside, she'll fly in, land on the table and spit up a lizard, then just look at me. Agronomist said she's sharing her kills. I trade her shrimp, scallops and smelt for a half digested reptile. She knows a good deal.

Because of the windows in this house, other birds mistakenly think they can fly through it, so sometimes we lose one when they break their necks against the glass. I was sitting outside at the table when a young scarlet hit the window about 16 feet up, it dropped down and bounced over by where me and the egret were sitting, just under the table...I looked down and noticed it was still moving, in that second the egret ran over and put her beak all the way through the scarlet's chest. Then she walked over to the pool, dipped the bird in the water a couple of times, tossed it into the air and swallowed it whole. Grabbed a couple of drinks and calmly walked back over to hop up on the chair by me like nothing happened.

She is kinda cool to have around...once you get used to her looking like a swan but acting like a hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    A few years ago I had a little squirrel pal that would be waiting for me when I came home from work. She would climb up the leg of my jeans to get the peanut that I held at waist height.
    You don't have a thing for dogs and peanut butter do you

The bird is a beauty. Amazing how they remember where to go year after year. I love nature!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    You don't have a thing for dogs and peanut butter do you
    Billy....I knew someone would go there, or somewhere close to there, I just didn't think you'd be the first to jump on the bus......
    Last edited by Ldub : 09/08/2009 at 03:31 AM

I've got your six Dub!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I've got your six Dub!
    I think I'd rather you were out in front, so I can keep an eye on ya...

To stay O T...that bird RULES!!!...

Wow - gotta agree with the Dubster -

Nice bird.

Nice kitchen.

Do you do house calls????

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Wow - gotta agree with the Dubster -

Nice bird.

Nice kitchen.

Do you do house calls????

PK
    LOL...the kitchen projects are a buncha fun but I think Hobart might be a wee bit far to go for me.

And don't worry about stayin OT on my account, just thought I'd share a few pix of the curious egret. It's all good.

Nice Egret! Cool story. So you live in/near Boca Raton? I used to live there.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Nice bird.

Nice kitchen.
    AND.....

Nice watch.

Nice living room.

Nice rug.

lol

Seriously looks like you have an amazing house, and AWESOME pet, that is so cool that you are important enough for a stop on their migrating path, crazy! Beautiful bird by the way.