Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting the VX tow-ready

Getting the VX tow-ready

I finished the driveline disconnect yesterday. I basically had to do it twice. A parts guy at my local NAPA store recommended a local shop for the driveline work so I thought I would support our local business...WRONG. At speed there was a pronounced vibration so I removed it again and drove the 40 miles to the shop I intended to use in the first place. When I got it back not only did it run smooth but he replaced the grease fittings damaged by the first guy,greased the entire driveline, painted the thing and marked the balance line for reference. The hubs are on the way and in the mean time I'm going to fab the tow bar attachments. This may be of little interest to most but I thought someone else may also have separation anxiety and have the need to keep their VX near.

Last edited by Travelin2 : 09/16/2009 at 08:58 PM Reason: pictures

very good ......looks like a fun job...lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Did you fab the setup or did you have it done? I was wondering how much torque that gear on the driveshaft can Handle? Is it possible for it to release while you are driving on accident?
    Looks pretty sweet.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Travelin2--- Pretty impressive!!! Sad to hear of the mis-recommendation by the NAPA guy, but glad you finally went with your instincts and everything is marching forward in a positive manner.

If you haven't already, check-out the thread by "ORION" entitled: "MY NEW BUMPER"

It'll give you some ideas regarding vehicle tow points when you hookup to your MotorHome/Camper. Anyway, it seems your project is coming along nicely.

Marlin...I didn't fab the whole setup. I looked at the Remco application chart and they install these in rigs with more torque than the VX has so I figured I was OK there. They have this pretty well figured out and there is not much possibility of accidental disengagement if it is properly engaged. There is a detent at each end of travel of the shifting collar. I did have to do some fabrication of the bracket that attaches to the differential. The set up I bought was for a Ford Ranger so it was quite different. They don't make one to fit the VX, imagine that. The guy at Remco kept saying, "Its a what?"

Riff Raff... I did see Orions post and I just came in from removing the nose cone for the first time,(boy, the VX looks like s*%t with that off). I see where he did his attachment and will do something similar. I am going to acquire some of the small size receiver hitch tubes and install one on each side near where the stock tow hooks are then I can unpin the tow bar brackets and just put stubs in there with shackles for pulling(for when we go wheeling with Rowhard) or bicycle rack or barbeque or fishing rod holder or 50 cal. mount for jack rabbits or...
    http://www.bumperdumper.com/

Finished the hitch today. I'll install the hubs tomorrow. I went with the Warn Premium hubs. I know and trust them. No plastic.

Attachment 1182
    Attachment 1181

Attachment 1183

Last edited by Travelin2 : 09/16/2009 at 09:14 PM Reason: pictures

very nice..lookin good

John, know it's a little late, but we have a pretty good drive line shop on North Sleater Kinney in Olympia and if you speak Vietnamese that's even better for getting what you want but they do excellent work.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Yeah, John, thats who I took it to to straighten out the first guys mess. Their work is top notch. I got the Warn hubs on today. Really simple install. Now I have to find some wheel centers with open ends.
    I tried to post you a pic but the thing says my attachments are full.
    Last edited by Travelin2 : 09/16/2009 at 08:59 PM Reason: picture

thought it might be them when you mentioned painted and balance line.

Everything is road ready

We are heading for California first then making our way East all the way back to Florida. If you see the rig give a wave.

Please tell me that is a fact sheet for lookey loo's so you dont spend hours answering questions at the KOA, and not a for sale sign!

By the way have you gotten those lights on that roof rack hooked up yet?

Have fun on your trip! just remember if anyone asks if you have been workin' hard or hardly workin'........... you know what to say Your retired!!!!
    Last edited by AK Falco : 09/16/2009 at 10:11 PM
    Back To The Primitive!

Sweet!!!! Now you just need to paint your camper to look like the VX....A giant Proton train!!!!

Travelin2-- Very impressive set-up. Your craftmanship/ingenuity amazes me. Well done. Have a safe trip and take pictures to share with us upon your return.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Sweet!!!! Now you just need to paint your camper to look like the VX....A giant Proton train!!!!
    HAHA! That would be a funny sight... it would look like a school bus towing a moon buggy.

Travelin, good job with all that you've done! Have you thought about joining a traveling forum or something like that to post a "captain's log" during your travels? I, for one, would love to keep up with your pics, destinations, and adventures! Most of all, I wish you safety and smiles all along the way! Translation: I'm jealous...
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"