Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VX Starts ok, but runs terrible...

VX Starts ok, but runs terrible...

Hmmm.. well, I'm new to the whole VX thing, and I've got to say that you all are the nicest group of people! Anyway, I bought a 99 VX last month and had to tow it home because it was running really bad.
    Here's what happens when I start it up:

Runs ok for first 15-20 seconds, then starts to idle rough. If I give it any gas it revs slowly then wants to idle very low. Almost no power at all when I put it in gear and try to drive it. It "pops and coughs" when the gas pedal is depressed.... Also, there is a strong hissing noise coming from the throttle body area, which leads me to believe that it might be the IAC motor... even though I did pull it out and looked to be funtional when turning the key in the on/off positions multiple times. Could it be the MAF? MAP? O2 sensors? Plugged CAT? Timing? I'd love to see if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks a ton in advace!

Sounds like it's starving for fuel and/or air. Don't know how many miles are on it, but maybe replace the fuel filter and the fuel pressure regulator to see if that helps. I know when I replaced my fuel filter at 60,000 +/- I could barely blow through it so it was pretty clogged.
    This might be way off, but have you taken a look at the air filter? Is it clogged and not allowing the VX to breathe?

Oh, almost forgot....welcome to the family.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Yes, welcome to the family ... and to the adiction.

I'll second what MS said. Start with the more simple solutions and work upward from there. Most of that should probably be done anyway.

Replace the fuel filter
    Replace the air filter
    Clean the MAF sensor
    Clean or replace the PCV
    Clean the EGR system
    New spark plugs wouldn't be a bad idea
    Clean the Idle Control Valve
    Clean the Fuel Pressure Regulator

Also don't forget to keep an eye on your oil consumption & on your CV boots.

There are threads on just about all of this. Let us know if you have any trouble utilizing the search function to find stuff.

Read this: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ntake+manifold
    Last edited by tom4bren : 08/03/2009 at 02:37 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

check

spark plugs and make sure the wires are in the correct firing lorder. PO may have tried to do a tune up or something and put the plug wires back in incorrect the order,

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    Welcome
    There are about 5 of us on the coast near the Oregon Washington border.
    Roy

The VX has 60,0000 miles, plugs are in correct order, remove the air filter, oil level looks good. I'll change the fuel filter and IAC this week and see if that helps. Thanks newthings, I'll let you know when I get it all fixed up and when I'm headed down to Seaside... it's one of my favorite vacation spots!

The problem you are having sounds like a problem I once had. In my case though, I let the fuel get to low and the truck started running REALLY rough, SCARY rough in fact, and I got a CEL. I changed the spark plugs and that didn't help. I then went and filled up with a tank of premium and everything went back to normal. Are you getting a Check Engine Light in the dash?

Bart

Yes, it comes on almost every time it is started, and it has flashed at me once.... I haven't been able to reproduce the flashing CEL, though... it was a one time thing, i guess. I'll try the gas trick... I'll drain the old stuff first. Thanks!

have you had it by

your local parts store and have them see if you are getting an error code? That will be better at helping diagnose than any of us can do without actually hearing it.

Awe, schucks... (No Pun Intended) I might tow it over there later today or tomorrow.

Exactly, if you got a CEL, you might be able to still read the code (the ECU stores it I think) even if it is not lit anymore. That would be a good start. If you have gas in the tank, you are probably ok, I just ran mine to low and I think there was some water in the fuel. Unless you are really low on gas like I was, I don't think that is the problem. I'm not sure how you intend to drain the fuel, but I would not recommend doing that unless you know you have to.

You could also try a jug of HEET fuel treatment, that should get rid of any water in the tank. A can of Sea Foam in the gas tank also can't hurt.

But anyway, get the code read, and bring the number back to the forum and we can tell you what it means.

Good luck,

Bart

My bet...vacuum leak.
    Scott

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    My bet...vacuum leak.

+1 Thats what i was thinking since there is hissing from the engine. A vacuum leak can mess with the air/fuel mixture

Is the check engine light on? If so are you getting a 171--- OBD2 meter code? If yes, change the common chamber gaskets, top and bottom. It will run like dream. It's a very common problem and easily fixed.

Welcome to the family and addiction fellow Washingtonian. VX Member "ROWHARD" also hails from Olympia with his Dragon VX and he is a wealth of VX information. I'll shoot him an E-Mail for him to be on the look-out for ya'.

By the way, follow all of the advice already provided. Lastly, always run Premium High-Octane fuel in the VX!!!

By chance, did you happen to buy your VX from the vicinity of Yelm, WA??? I know there was a Ironman VX 4-sale on Craigslist recently from Yelm, WA.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 08/04/2009 at 05:04 AM