Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you remove the backseat

How do you remove the backseat

I spent 2 hours last night trying to "temporarily" remove the backseat for a camping trip.

The end result....

Seat is still in, a "7" bolt is broken, and I am not a happy camper (pun intended)

My overall goal was to add that quick release pin from Ace Hardware so that I could easily do this more often. However, after the pin wouldnt budge, I tried removing the bolts, then backed out of that idea and while putting the bolts back in, I broke off the top of a "7" bolt and had to drill out the remnants.

Argh!

Thoughts?????

My rear seat was removed when I bought it. The brackets were just unbolted from the floor. The only problem I had during re-install was in finding the right size bolts.

Try unbolting it from the floor rather than unbolting the seat from the bracket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    My rear seat was removed when I bought it. The brackets were just unbolted from the floor. The only problem I had during re-install was in finding the right size bolts.

Try unbolting it from the floor rather than unbolting the seat from the bracket.

That was where I was heading, but that wasn't my overall goal, so I tried to get back on track. I want to be able to remove and put back in, in a few minutes instead of a few hours.

lol,

dude just hit the 'clip washer' on the bolt that holds the seat to the brackets (x2 bolts) and it flatens it and you litterally hammer the bolt out the other side. The bolt comes straight out. I just drilled my bolt and put a split pin in it ......15 mins...done

now i can remove the seat in 30 seconds
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    lol,

dude just hit the 'clip washer' on the bolt that holds the seat to the brackets (x2 bolts) and it flatens it and you litterally hammer the bolt out the other side. The bolt comes straight out. I just drilled my bolt and put a split pin in it ......15 mins...done

now i can remove the seat in 30 seconds
    Clip washer?

Can you post a picture to better demonstrate?

Thanks!

"but that wasn't my overall goal"

I was just trying to get you to the campground this weekend. I figgered you'd be finishing the job later.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Clip washer?

Can you post a picture to better demonstrate?

Thanks!
    erm.........that was kinda a made up name lol, the bolt is scored all the way round at the end and the 'cap' or 'clip washer' has a tonge which clips into it. Its VERY thin metal and the only way to get it off is just to hammer the bolt through it.

they dont even number it but its on the end of the bolts highlighted

Last edited by crotchrocket : 12/16/2009 at 03:55 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    "but that wasn't my overall goal"

I was just trying to get you to the campground this weekend. I figgered you'd be finishing the job later.

I didnt mean it like that. I just meant to say that when I was working to remove it I was going in with the mindset of "whatever it takes to accomplish the job". Then I had to stop myself before I broke more bolts....regroup and remember what my overall goal was. So I pushed the seat forward for this weekend and figured I would have better luck after I talked to you guys.

I appreciate the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    erm.........that was kinda a made up name lol, the bolt is scored all the way round at the end and the 'cap' or 'clip washer' has a tonge which clips into it. Its VERY thin metal and the only way to get it off is just to hammer the bolt through it.

they dont even number it but its on the end of the bolts highlighted

Thanks for the picture. I bet that is what Merlin (that guy is awesome) was looking at when I described the bolt I broke and requested a new one ($0.89).

So I guess the best way to proceed is hammer the S*#t out of the bolt. I started mildly hitting it with the hammer but I got worried I would break something so I stopped.

Thanks!

I removed my back seat

Snapped a bolt as well ordered new ones from Merlin for all of them one is back ordered

"I didnt mean it like that."

No problem - didn't rub my fur the wrong way. Just in a hurry when I responded.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    Snapped a bolt as well ordered new ones from Merlin for all of them one is back ordered

Did you order recently? When I spoke to Merlin, he didnt make it sound like any of the 4 bolts (2 fronts, 2 backs of the bracket) were on back order.

Why are we worrying about brackets? Just take out the bolts from the front of the seat on both sides, lift from the back and then remove. It seriously takes 10 minutes the first time and less than a minute after that.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    Why are we worrying about brackets? Just take out the bolts from the front of the seat on both sides, lift from the back and then remove. It seriously takes 10 minutes the first time and less than a minute after that.
    Are you talking about the bolts that bolt down the bracket, or the pin that goes through them?

When I looked at the seats, I only saw 2 ways of removing them.

1. Remove the pin and separate the bracket.
    2. Remove "4" bolts and remove the whole thing. Bracket and all.

What am I missing?

PS.JHarris1385 - Please check your PM
    Last edited by JAMAS : 07/30/2009 at 08:47 AM

I think there are only 4 bolts, that's it. Quite simple. When I removed mine the 1st time however, those bolts were very tight. I suggest you use a breaker bar with the correct socket to initially loosen them.

Other that that, it should be quite easy.

Bart