Thread: PCV Catch "Jar" and valve

PCV Catch "Jar" and valve

I'm hoping someone can find the thread - a bit ago someone added a catch "bottle" or "jar" as a replacement to the PCV that would collect oil instead of feeding back into the intake - it also had a ball valve if memory serves. Does anyone have a link to the thread? I've tried various search terms but have come up empty.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I remember that thread, but cannot find it as well.

Best bet would be to google "breather oil catch can", or similar.

What exactly are you looking for? specs, mounting options, etc?

[EDIT]:

You think you got a clean engine?
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

I want to do something similar to see if it affects oil consumption. I'm suddenly experiencing heavy oil consumption (went from 1 qt per 5K to 1 qt at 500 miles) - Joe seems to think it's a faulty PCV so I replaced it today (I had just changed the oil and put in a new PCV before driving down to FL last week - was really surprised to see the dipstick almost a quart low at 500 miles). Coming back up yesterday (another 500 miles) and checking this morning, I had to put in 1/2 quart. Something is definitely up and I was thinking that putting on the breather catch can would be a useful experiment.

-- John

Otto did this to his VX.... saw it at last weekends meet... Forgot where he said he picked it up.... it was about 2 bucks. He said it fills up with oil real fast at hi speeds.

Wrench

Check this out: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html and http://cjsupra.kendra.com/PCV-Can.html

Just punch in "pcv oil catch can" into the search engine du jour and you'll find oodles.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I found something on eBay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160339420343

Figured I'd give it a try. I like that it holds more than those cans made from Compressor Water Filters and it still has that view tube so you can tell when it's getting full.

-- John

Thumbs up

Cool. When you get it open it up and see what kind of baffling is in there, maybe post up some pics.

I have valve covers from a '99 VX, a '99 Trooper and a '02 Axiom, and they are all the same... the baffles are identicle. I tell ya it's the pistons that are different... the reason the part numbers are the same is they deleted/discontinued the part numbers on the bad design pistons, probably right after '99 or '00 when they realized and fixed them... why would they ever show again a part number for a faulty piston that fails and burns/consumes oil... probably fixed a coulple other things too that we'll never know about. Just my 2 cents.
    We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman

Wrench

There's no differences in the pistons as the engines are the same having been pulled from the same assembly plant and production runs as concurrent Troopers, Rodeos and other light/medium trucks using the 6VE1. I've had the opportunity to check not only actual pistons and other components but the engines themselves and they're all the same. It simply isn't good business practice either to set up the scenario you suggest, especially as Isuzu is well known for using what they already have in production. That's also why you can find and cross many of the same parts across all lines of Isuzu light and medium trucks. You'd be surprised how much NPR stuff is in a VX!

As for looking at the baffling, I meant inside the new catch can.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black View Post
    There's no differences in the pistons as the engines are the same having been pulled from the same assembly plant and production runs as concurrent Troopers, Rodeos and other light/medium trucks using the 6VE1. I've had the opportunity to check not only actual pistons and other components but the engines themselves and they're all the same. It simply isn't good business practice either to set up the scenario you suggest, especially as Isuzu is well known for using what they already have in production. That's also why you can find and cross many of the same parts across all lines of Isuzu light and medium trucks. You'd be surprised how much NPR stuff is in a VX!

As for looking at the baffling, I meant inside the new catch can.
    Sorry to jack your thread Johnnyappolo...
    Joe, we're going to have to agree to disagree.. I'm tired of this debate... I beg to differ... I've seen the pistons from TWO different '99 6VE1's a trooper and a VX... and the pistons from a brand new rebuild kit when I was contemplating going that route... they are DIFFERENT pistons... not a huge difference but noticable.. the rings are slightly thicker... the space for the rings are thicker to accomodate the rings and the spaces between the rings is different... I know.. I saw... I showed it to Tone also, he had a set from a blown '99... he agreed it was different face to face with me. And I had pics of the rebuild kit pistons on my phone, (which I lost, dropped it in the Guadalupe River). Go to a auto parts place and ask to see a rebuild kit for a '99 trooper, they "might" have it in stock... one O'Reilly's in San Antonio had one in stock after I spent three days hunting one down. I have an '02 Axiom engine in my VX now that doesn't use a single drop of oil... There has to be something different/FIXED on engines after may of 2000... the rate of blown engines after that DRAMATICALLY decreases... and it can't just be because of miles... the number of engines blown that were manufactured before May of 2000 covers a big spectrum of milage... I've read from 26k to 175k... and I'm only talking about the ones that blew from large oil consumption and starving piston one/bearing one on the crank... because of oil consumption caused by oil blow-by that stopped happening for the vast majority of engines built AFTER May of 2000.

P.S. my bad on the baffle thing... I know it was put forth here before, I think by Psycho (apologies if it wasn't him) that the baffles on the valve covers just under the PCV valve was a faulty design and that was why the PCV valves were failing, that's why I said those baffles are the same

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    Joe, we're going to have to agree to disagree.. I'm tired of this debate... I beg to differ... I've seen the pistons from TWO different '99 6VE1's a trooper and a VX... and the pistons from a brand new rebuild kit when I was contemplating going that route... they are DIFFERENT pistons... not a huge difference but noticable.. the rings are slightly thicker... the space for the rings are thicker to accomodate the rings and the spaces between the rings is different... I know.. I saw... I showed it to Tone also, he had a set from a blown '99... he agreed it was different face to face with me. And I had pics of the rebuild kit pistons on my phone, (which I lost, dropped it in the Guadalupe River). Go to a auto parts place and ask to see a rebuild kit for a '99 trooper, they "might" have it in stock... one O'Reilly's in San Antonio had one in stock after I spent three days hunting one down. I have an '02 Axiom engine in my VX now that doesn't use a single drop of oil... There has to be something different/FIXED on engines after may of 2000... the rate of blown engines after that DRAMATICALLY decreases... and it can't just be because of miles... the number of engines blown that were manufactured before May of 2000 covers a big spectrum of milage... I've read from 26k to 175k... and I'm only talking about the ones that blew from large oil consumption and starving piston one/bearing one on the crank... because of oil consumption caused by oil blow-by that stopped happening for the vast majority of engines built AFTER May of 2000.

P.S. my bad on the baffle thing... I know it was put forth here before, I think by Psycho (apologies if it wasn't him) that the baffles on the valve covers just under the PCV valve was a faulty design and that was why the PCV valves were failing, that's why I said those baffles are the same

Ok,so i got question guys.
    If any one of us decide to rebuild the '99 engine with the redesigned pistons/rings from the 2k engine will those be suitable for the '99 engine ?
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post

The pistons from Oreillys would be an aftermarket set and would not be the same as Isuzu pistons.As far as I know you can only get stock parts from a dealer. I do believe that isuzu changed the piston design.I am not arguing that. But I do believe that the oil consumption issue that has been causing the failures is due to poor design of the valve cover.There is no baffle in the valve cover to stop the oil from getting sucked into the intake when the pcv valve fails. there are lots of engines out there with rings that are worn or stuck and they may burn a little oil but the do not have bearings failing because they use a little more oil. shawn
    Last edited by psychos2 : 07/29/2009 at 07:54 PM
    1COOLVX

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Ok,so i got question guys.
    If any one of us decide to rebuild the '99 engine with the redesigned pistons/rings from the 2k engine will those be suitable for the '99 engine ?
    Yes of course they will... they are the same part number (replaced, my educated guess) accross the board, for all the years, as long as it's a 6VE1 engine.