Thread: Protection from pets

Protection from pets

I've created a prototype of a "compartment cover" for this last trip I went on. I have some adjustments before I finalize it and have a real one made.

It will cover the entire back section including half way up the sides. The front section of the cover slips over the "stored" (Flipped up) rear seat to protect it from dancing claws and performs a barrier between the the front of the rear seat and the back of the front seats to keep them from rubbing and making noise. (If your front seats go back that far).

I'm looking to have the floor section to be made of the same type of material as above then have quilted material for the pad part. The intent is to have the pad removable from the floor part for washing purposes.. I'll post again when it comes closer to fruition and either will provide the whole thing available as a bought item, or the plans/pattern so your local upholstery shop can fab it up.
    Scott / moncha.com

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    pretty sweet idea boss man!
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I thought since the subject was brought up, this would work with the cage idea.. I don't use a divider. But this did keep the scratches off of the plastic, even with rough roads.
    Last edited by Moncha : 08/07/2009 at 06:23 AM

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    I've created a prototype of a "compartment cover" for this last trip I went on. I have some adjustments before I finalize it and have a real one made.

It will cover the entire back section including half way up the sides. The front section of the cover slips over the "stored" (Flipped up) rear seat to protect it from dancing claws and performs a barrier between the the front of the rear seat and the back of the front seats to keep them from rubbing and making noise. (If your front seats go back that far).

I'm looking to have the floor section to be made of the same type of material as above then have quilted material for the pad part. The intent is to have the pad removable from the floor part for washing purposes.. I'll post again when it comes closer to fruition and either will provide the whole thing available as a bought item, or the plans/pattern so your local upholstery shop can fab it up.

In the words of the inimitable Iggy Pop..."I wanna be your dog"

Nice work Chief!...

I got a guy.....

Let me know when the plans are finalized. I have an upholstery guy that has done several items for me. He's been doing it for a LONG time. Teaches at local colleges, etc. He has had a couple items at SEMA.

Anyway........I am willing to bet I can get him to make up quite a few for everyone......at a price, but I will find that out later.

I am sure he could find that fabric in black as well.

Let me know.

Just remember that the 'fancier' you get, the more expensive it'll be to have fabricated. Multiple materials and removable panels are really going to limit who will be interested in taking on the job and will certainly 'jack' the cost.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Just remember that the 'fancier' you get, the more expensive it'll be to have fabricated. Multiple materials and removable panels are really going to limit who will be interested in taking on the job and will certainly 'jack' the cost.
    I guess once the plans are in, I can take them to him and see if he is interested and if so.....how much total for a set number.

Sure would beat the mess of blankets I put in before taking my dogs anywhere

By all means ... it's worth checking into. Just be forwarned. I've never been to an upholsterer (all 2 times) where I didn't leave with sticker shock.

A large buy will certainly help.

Its like a giant diaper! Lucky for me, CeCe is only 8 lbs, and she is scared poopless when we drive and just curls up on her mama's lap and doesn't bother anything. Save for all the white fur she drops on my nice black interior.

This just reminds me of Menace riding in the back of Zeus. A funny sight indeed.

Bart

That was just a cheap furniture blanket from U-Haul.. The finished product will be better.. If you saw what was in it after the trip, you'd be glad you had one. With a CRAZY Border Collie (Oso), and a DEE De DEE English Setter bird dog(Bernie), I (squirrel!!!) was just glad to have this one made up before the trip. I'll keep everyone up to date.

Looks great! I'll probably be getting another Boxer soon(maybe two)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

If only my dog didn't enjoy the challenge of escaping so much this would be a SWEET option. Too bad she would see the folded back seat as something fun to hurdle over. Maybe you could find a way to incorporate a net from the top of the folded seat to the ceiling?

(Muttering) Crazy damn dog...