Thread: Leather repair?

Leather repair?

Does anyone have a suggestions on how to repair the top layer of the leather seat. There is a small tear (about 5 pinheads) in size. It's only on the top layer of the leather. I was thinking of glueing that piece down. Before I do anything I thought it would be best if I consulted with everyone first. I was thinking about using super glue. Is that a good idea or a bad idea. Any other ideas? Thanks.

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    I would say no to the superglue, as it hardens and will crack instead of flexing. You need some kind of non-hardening adhesive. See if you can contact a leather repair shop for suggestions. Let us know what you find.

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD

Re: Leather repair?

Do a web search on leather repair kits. You'll find a bunch of repair kits. I tried one a a previous car and it sorta worked. For minor scracthes like you mentioned, it should be fine. The hard part is getting the repair putty's color to match your seat's.

I was in an auto uphostery shop a few years back and one of the services they offered was "leather repair" - can't hurt to drop by one of those and get a price quote.

Originally posted by IsuZOOM
    I was in an auto uphostery shop a few years back and one of the services they offered was "leather repair" - can't hurt to drop by one of those and get a price quote.
    Those places are usually cost a lot less $ then you would think, I'm sure they won't charge more than $50. Boarzhead got his entire headliner done in red from a leather (not done in leather though) place for under $200 I believe. The headliner looks great they did an excellent job.

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    $200 is typical for cloth headliner. If you have the time and materials it's really easy to do.

All you need is the fabric of your choice and spray adhesive (same stuff audio shops use to stick carpet on sub boxes).