Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: The Internet Parts Thread

That helps, otherwise you have to fabricate the connections yourself. But then again you would have to splice the wires from the factory harness to your aftermarket lights anyway, so I guess it's the difference between making that splice at the switch pin or further down the wire.

Our very own KAT called out in this eBay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...Q5fAccessories

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Our very own KAT called out in this eBay ad:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...Q5fAccessories
    No Way!! Too cool! I'd posted about several of his parts on 11/14 but didn't scroll all the way down so I didn't see that!
    I hooked up "wintermute" with this seller a while back for some parts he needed. He also sent me a cool pic of his "off road beetle"...it's really funny. Just for s&g I'll see if I can find it and post it.
    EDIT- Found the pics! This is Vic's off road VW Beetle! He'd fit in around here with his sense of humor!

Last edited by VX KAT : 11/23/2010 at 06:42 PM
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    This seller has 5 available, pretty amazing since these are usually hard to find on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hella...Q5fAccessories
    I bought one of those Rodeo fog switches from that guy on eBay earlier this year. I even posted a link for it. I got it in a week or so with no problem. It was brand new.

However, it is NOT a direct fit for our dash or the triple switch bezel. It's for a '98+ Rodeo and we need a '97 or earlier, but they never had a fog switch at that time.

Our switches have a notch in the upper left corner and our dash and bezel have plastic in that corner. The Rodeo switch is square in that corner. I cut out the corner plastic in the bezel to test fit and it still was not quite right. It just did not fit 100% snug and I think the depth or something was not right also. It didn't sit the same way as other VX switches. I was not happy with it at all. Some may find it to be okay, but I wanted something with a perfect fit like our VX switches.

I then tried to remove the button face piece to see if it could be swapped out with a another VX switch face. It was hell gettin' it off and it was too different anyway to swap! The switch ended up trashed and I salvaged the bulbs. Only $11 lost and a lesson learned.

I did look up a '97 Trooper fog switch that may be compatible, #8-97135-512-0, but I never looked into it anymore.

I'm sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I just saw this now. Moncha actually was using the Rodeo switch many years ago and I think he mentions the slight modification somewhere.

End of story.

Mark Griffin

Edit: Here's some old info I found about the fog switches-
    Quote Originally Posted by IsuZOOM View Post
    The foglight switch does NOT fit into the hole left by the blank on the dash! I destroyed the switch getting it out after trying to fit it in, so $20 down the tubes.... I guess it only fits into the fuzzy-hole bezel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    I'll have to see if I can find the post, there is another switch that is more expensive out there. The cheaper switch works in the fuzzy bezel but you do have to modify the bezel.
    The cheaper switch is the Rodeo one. The more expensive switch is the Trooper one, #8-97135-512-0 for ~$50-60. But I don't know for sure if it fits, 'cuz the other post was at Club VMag.

Another edit: I found the old thread at Club VMag about the two fog switches, but no one tried the more expensive one, so we still don't know if it fits.
    Last edited by deermagnet : 11/24/2010 at 06:19 AM

Just scored his Windows switches and door panels and misc parts. Just got off the phone. Was inprocess of posting his re-listings here with the shout-out to Kat when he gave me his #.

Getting a whole box of stuff, we were able to save shipping as my brother in Chicago is going to pick up. All other items besides the door panels and window switches will be posted here as soon as I get them and can take pics.

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    I bought one of those Rodeo fog switches from that guy on ebay earlier this year. I even posted a link for it. I got it in a week or so with no problem. It was brand new.

However, it is NOT a direct fit for our dash or the triple switch bezel. It's for a '98+ Rodeo and we need a '97 or earlier, but they never had a fog switch at that time.

Our switches have a notch in upper left corner and our dash and bezel have plastic in that corner. The Rodeo switch is square in that corner. I cut out the corner plastic in the bezel to test fit and it still was not quite right. It just did not fit 100% snug and I think the depth or something was not right also. It didn't sit the same way as other VX switches. I was not happy with it at all. Some may find it to be okay, but I wanted something with a perfect fit like our VX switches.
    Seems like you could cut that corner piece then use some metal/plastic shim material and glue/cement to hold it in place maybe? As infrequently as you press it I would think it would hold okay.

Btw, I tried putting an Axiom hazard switch in a '96 Passport dash (same as ours only black) and discovered the same issue. So I think it's reasonable to assume that any switch made after 98 won't fit perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by deermagnet View Post
    I bought one of those Rodeo fog switches from that guy on eBay earlier this year. I even posted a link for it. I got it in a week or so with no problem. It was brand new.

Our switches have a notch in the upper left corner and our dash and bezel have plastic in that corner. The Rodeo switch is square in that corner. I cut out the corner plastic in the bezel to test fit and it still was not quite right. It just did not fit 100% snug and I think the depth or something was not right also. It didn't sit the same way as other VX switches. I was not happy with it at all. Some may find it to be okay, but I wanted something with a perfect fit like our VX switches.

I then tried to remove the button face piece to see if it could be swapped out with a another VX switch face. It was hell gettin' it off and it was too different anyway to swap! The switch ended up trashed and I salvaged the bulbs. Only $11 lost and a lesson learned.

I did look up a '97 Trooper fog switch that may be compatible, #8-97135-512-0, but I never looked into it anymore.

I'm sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I just saw this now. Moncha actually was using the Rodeo switch many years ago and I think he mentions the slight modification somewhere.

End of story.

Mark Griffin

Edit: Here's some old info I found about the fog switches-

The cheaper switch is the Rodeo one. The more expensive switch is the Trooper one, #8-97135-512-0 for ~$50-60. But I don't know for sure if it fits, 'cuz the other post was at Club VMag.

Another edit: I found the old thread at Club VMag about the two fog switches, but no one tried the more expensive one, so we still don't know if it fits.
    Weird, I put a fog switch in mine, I got it out of a trooper though, and it went in just fine. I have no idea what year it was...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Vic (vwbeetle53) has a large group of misc VX bolts listed....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1226wt_909

Been in contact with Vic a few times. He wanted me to pass on that he has some rear door cladding, rear door, both front doors and dash. Also some other cladding and right fender. He asked that I post the info here.

Contact him via his ebay contact.

Pics as I get them.

what is vics ebay username?

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by vxfocus View Post
    what is vics ebay username?
    vwbeetle53
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

See KAT's post above.

all that bug needs

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    No Way!! Too cool! I'd posted about several of his parts on 11/14 but didn't scroll all the way down so I didn't see that!
    I hooked up "wintermute" with this seller a while back for some parts he needed. He also sent me a cool pic of his "off road beetle"...it's really funny. Just for s&g I'll see if I can find it and post it.
    EDIT- Found the pics! This is Vic's off road VW Beetle! He'd fit in around here with his sense of humor!

is two satelite dishes painted black to act as ears
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Engine out of a '99 with 82k miles, in Wisconsin
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3#ht_858wt_683