Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be VX owner, looking for troubles?

As of 2008....you made me look into it. It looks like the title was previosuly held by Silver for years before 2008....

Anyways white is the best - thats why its the IronMan. Ha

Style is not a popularity contest

It's those of us who are trendsetters who have the style the masses just follow us but alas you may only follow not surpass. However given that it used to be silver (Asstral) you are out of date.

But we still luv ya

Update:

Took the VX to my main mechanic, he had no time today except to take it for a drive. He stated an alignment would be needed to diagnose any further problems for the pulling to the right. He also stated there is a rear axle leak, as indicated by fluid leaking on the pass side near the brakes. He stated he could smell it as well. I can now smell it too. But to me I wouldnt know the smell of brake fluid from axle (tranny?) fluid. He stated the rough vibrations during low speed turns may just be due to the oversize tires. He stated the tapping sounds at high rpm under load may be ping due to bad gasoline, or could be other valve probs. He stated I really need an alignment in order to further diagnose the steering prob. I have an appt to get that done tomorrow.

I then took it to another shop who specializes in imports. They stated that tire wear indicates problems in the front and rear. They also indicated that the very loud vibration may be due to the oversize tires rubbing up against the polycarb which is indeed loose on that side of the vehicle as indicated by minor gaps where broken or improper fasteners had been applied, however its not immediately noticeable until inspected closely. They also implicated a leaking rear axle on the passenger side. They say the pinion shaft, seal and spacer need replacement as well. On the front end they stated the ball joints need replaced, upper on one side, lower on the other. The pinion shaft seal, spacer and crush sleave as well. Also the differential cover gasket should be replaced.

Those are the mechanical/suspension problems indicated to me so far. The alignment will cost me 70 bucks, with no guarentee that it will FIX anything, just might HELP find more problems. That is according to the first shop.

The second shop seemed much more definitive, and were able to detail much more of what needs to be done. All told, just labor from that second shop estimate would be about $1000, parts not included. I'm OK with that as long as it FIXES the problems. and gives me a relaible vehicle with no engine or drivertrain worries.

The minor stuff such as the loose polycarb, the passenger side window not opening (we did check the fuse) and minor body/tire wear I'm not too worried about.

So... not to kick a dead horse here, because most of you seem to think I should walk away from this VX, but I love the car. I can prolly get away with paying less than 5000k for it, and there are simply no others available to me without taking a whole weekend road trip to shop for another VX from another state somewhere.

BTW, I loved the attention it got everywhere I drove it. Tons of looks, and even was chased down and stopped by an attractive blonde just to ask me where I was able to find the car.

So... I ask again, run, walk, or buy, knowing fully well I'll sink a couple grand into it just to get it up to par.

The K&N filter is absolutely filthy. Also the plugs he pulled just out of curiosity were marred with rust as if some water had infiltrated the seals.

The ABS brake light stays on most of the time, but I wonder if that is because the rear axle is leaking fluid over the discs brakes... does that make sense? He also indicated than many people simply disable ABS in areas that do not get snow/ice and that also may cause the light to be on.

Leave it! There are plenty out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385 View Post
    As of 2008....you made me look into it. It looks like the title was previosuly held by Silver for years before 2008....

Anyways white is the best - thats why its the IronMan. Ha
    I "think" white has always been #1 because of fleet vehicles.
    Millions of police cars,service trucks,ect...
    If you only count the private sector,then silver was#1 for the past 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Update:

Took the VX to my main mechanic, he had no time today except to take it for a drive. He stated an alignment would be needed to diagnose any further problems for the pulling to the right. He also stated there is a rear axle leak, as indicated by fluid leaking on the pass side near the brakes. He stated he could smell it as well. I can now smell it too. But to me I wouldnt know the smell of brake fluid from axle (tranny?) fluid. He stated the rough vibrations during low speed turns may just be due to the oversize tires. He stated the tapping sounds at high rpm under load may be ping due to bad gasoline, or could be other valve probs. He stated I really need an alignment in order to further diagnose the steering prob. I have an appt to get that done tomorrow.

I then took it to another shop who specializes in imports. They stated that tire wear indicates problems in the front and rear. They also indicated that the very loud vibration may be due to the oversize tires rubbing up against the polycarb which is indeed loose on that side of the vehicle as indicated by minor gaps where broken or improper fasteners had been applied, however its not immediately noticeable until inspected closely. They also implicated a leaking rear axle on the passenger side. They say the pinion shaft, seal and spacer need replacement as well. On the front end they stated the ball joints need replaced, upper on one side, lower on the other. The pinion shaft seal, spacer and crush sleave as well. Also the differential cover gasket should be replaced.

Those are the mechanical/suspension problems indicated to me so far. The alignment will cost me 70 bucks, with no guarentee that it will FIX anything, just might HELP find more problems. That is according to the first shop.

The second shop seemed much more definitive, and were able to detail much more of what needs to be done. All told, just labor from that second shop estimate would be about $1000, parts not included. I'm OK with that as long as it FIXES the problems. and gives me a relaible vehicle with no engine or drivertrain worries.

The minor stuff such as the loose polycarb, the passenger side window not opening (we did check the fuse) and minor body/tire wear I'm not too worried about.

So... not to kick a dead horse here, because most of you seem to think I should walk away from this VX, but I love the car. I can prolly get away with paying less than 5000k for it, and there are simply no others available to me without taking a whole weekend road trip to shop for another VX from another state somewhere.

BTW, I loved the attention it got everywhere I drove it. Tons of looks, and even was chased down and stopped by an attractive blonde just to ask me where I was able to find the car.

So... I ask again, run, walk, or buy, knowing fully well I'll sink a couple grand into it just to get it up to par.

The K&N filter is absolutely filthy. Also the plugs he pulled just out of curiosity were marred with rust as if some water had infiltrated the seals.

The ABS brake light stays on most of the time, but I wonder if that is because the rear axle is leaking fluid over the discs brakes... does that make sense? He also indicated than many people simply disable ABS in areas that do not get snow/ice and that also may cause the light to be on.

Again GRIF

In here we want all members to be a happy VX'ers,help them solve their issues & other stuff.

Just follow our advise.

If you gonna spend $ 5000 & then spent another $ 2000/2500 why don't get that $$$ altogether & buy a good running VX ?

Why don't you just hold on for few weeks & look around for VX's in better running conditions.

In my personal experience i was out there for a black VX with the grey/black interior,never had the opportunity to get one,but looked at others VX's & decided to grab this astral silver which onlyu had 38K on it full stock conditions.

For the 7k you are willing to spend you can get a Vx with around 100K or less without all those issues.

Howevere we all wish you the best !
    Dakar was just the begining.

After reading all the details you were able to ascertain, I'm struck by the apparent severe lack of maintenance...if the K&N filter was that dirty, the tire wear was really apparent, there was evidence of the tires rubbing, the rear axle fluid leaking, the pinion shaft seal, ball joints, diff cover gasket, etc.......sounds like the PO may have really rode it hard & put it away wet!

I certainly can't speak for all the forum members, but I'd never let SO MANY serious issues go unaddressed, it just makes me feel the PO has been really REALLY hard on the truck and it's been neglected. Again, I'd run away, but maybe the info you can get after the alignment will help.

just my .02 cents!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    GRIF--- Regarding the 1999 VX that has been confirmed by CARFAX to be in 2 major collisions; my advice is to "RUN LIKE HELL!!!" Forget that previously wrecked VX and just be patient. Keep a keen eye on www.AutoTrader.com and a much better VX will appear sometime in the near future. Don't buy the very first one you see. It took me 7 years to find mine, but I'm kinda picky. Be patient and be happy.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Proton would not be my first choice of color, but PM sent anyways.

Thanks to any and all who has assisted me in making a decision one way or other. Great community ya'll got here!
    there is a nice ironman for sale here in yelm washington. Pretty sure I know who it is and she has had it since new. AKFlaco posted it here the other day. Of course anyone you fine that isn't local, am sure someone here would be happy to check it out for you
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Grif, with the mileage you listed, the previous accidents, and the current problems, the true value of that VX would be around the $2500.

If you can get it for that, and can baby it back to health, then go for it.
    But to make it economical, you would have to be able to do most of the work yourself.
    If you cannot get the price down below $3000 and do the work yourself, the vehicle is just plain overpriced and not for you.

There are others out there that are good value for money, and worth travelling to pick up.

Good luck

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Grif,

Believe us, we ALL understand the desiring that one VX which is at your fingertips. We know that magical pull toward that first VX you see. But many of us have been here for years seeing VX's bought and sold, with those who take gentle, precise care of their rigs and others who absolutely trash them.

A truck that has so many problems that were not addressed by the past owner(s) will hide a multitude of hidden problems - some potentially dire to the longevity of the rig. I have personal knowledge of a Ebony that when it was sold, had a number of known problems never addressed, and when the next guy bought it, he had to put in over 8K in it, and it still wasnt right. It literally was too far gone.

We can help you find another VX - better ones ARE out there. Just be patient and look around. Many of us across the country check out rigs for others and we certainly can do it for you.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Grif; Searching for the right VX is in itself an exciting adventure. Savor it and make it last until all the stars are aligned. That rig you are looking at will put you in the poor house and sour you on the VX within a year. Keep looking buddy.

Grif--- By now you know I've absolutely flooded your E-Mail in-box with messages from me. I found a super clean 2001 Silver VX in Berea, KY (40403) on www.AutoTrader.com with only 76,000 miles for only $9,500 and it has a super rare electric Sunroof/Moonroof (which is a $1,200 modification by itself). Yes, Berea, KY is 652 miles away (each direction) from Foley, AL but it would be well worth a 2-day weekend trip with a friend to convoy back home with.

Contact fellow member "DMulk55" who lives only an hour away in nearby Frankfort, KY to check the VX out for you in advance and to see if it's worth pursueing. "DMulk55" can be contacted via E-Mail from the member's list (left side of Home Page).

Forget about that wrecked P.O.S. VX you've currently been looking at and stop wasting your time, money, and effort thinking about it. Move on, and look at better VX's in much better condition!!! In the long run, you'll be glad you did.
    Last edited by Riff Raff : 07/02/2009 at 09:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Grif
    Forget about that wrecked P.O.S. VX you've currently been looking at and stop wasting your time, money, and effort thinking about it. Move on, and look at better VX's in much better condition!!! In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

X2

well, I did it....

I took the plunge. I bought it for 4K. Mechanics say it will take about 2K to get the suspension and other mechanical items up to snuff, and thats somthing I can live with.

I know I could have spent 10k on a near perfect one by taking a road trip across country, but to me it simply wouldnt be worth the time and effort.

This is the vehicle I fell in love with, and with some cash and TLC and regualar maint, I hope to love it for a long time.

Thanks to all of you, even the negativists, but this was the only option I could afford, and am so far very happy with it.