Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Soon to be VX owner, looking for troubles?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    congratulations and welcome to the family!
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I'm actually glad to hear that you bought that particular VX. Now it will get the care and attention it deserves and preserves another worthy VX for future generations to enjoy.

(It's exactly how I felt when I acquired my Cobra. It was a mess and nobody wanted to bother with it.)
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Grif--- Well, I tried. I do concur with COBRAJET; if anybody has the true love and passion to bring that VX back to life, it is you. Perhaps it is best that it is under your personal care. Welcome to the VX family and to the addiction.

As a friendy reminder to anyone looking for a sweet 2001 Silver VX with 76,000 miles and a super-rare electric Sunroof/Moonroof for only $9,500 should check-out www.AutoTrader.com at the VX in Berea, Kentucky (40403).

Congrats! Welcome to the Family.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Hey Grif, when you get a chance send some pictures

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    Hey Grif, when you get a chance send some pictures
    easy....easy....

you gotta wait till he's done joyriding around

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    easy....easy....

you gotta wait till he's done joyriding around

Yeap !

He needs to go do some vedette riding showing off some of the chicks in the hood.

Even thoug we didn't wanna you have this VX we wish you the best of all.

So welcome to the fam grif
    Dakar was just the begining.

Be patient. I searched for 90-120 days seriously (stalked for 180-240 days). There are several in Florida...that's driving distance from Alabama. You can get one in $6-$6.5k range with a clean carfax and limited or no mods. Transport is < $1 per mile. I just did 1,300 miles $900 with insurance. Your "cash in hand" will work in your favor in this economy..so will patience. AOL.com (auto), Vast.com, eBay.... Start a dialogue with potential buyer and spend the $150 for Carchex to do a full inspection with pictures in advance. It'll let the seller know you are serious & give you leverage to negotiate if you find serious flaws - LIKE TWO MAJOR ACCIDENTS. I'd steer clear of this one.

I obviously can't read order of posts. Welcome Grif. Now you get the joy of putting money & time into re-conditioning one of our children. Thanks for adopting. Welcome to the family!

Quote Originally Posted by Fe ♂ View Post
    I obviously can't read order of posts. Welcome Grif. Now you get the joy of putting money & time into re-conditioning one of our children. Thanks for adopting. Welcome to the family!

Thanks folx. I can already tell this will be one hell of a project. I mean on the outside she is a beauty, but the various shops Ive taken it to provide me with the same litany of needs. Some fairly basic, some serious. But I knew what I was getting into with this (or I think I did) lol. Got the oil changed today because I had no idea when it was changed last. They told me they had no way to tell if the prvious owner was using synthetic or what, so they sold me on Valvoline Maxlife which has both conventional and synth components. I hope that was the correct choice!!

They also said the fuel filter was original from the factory!! Never changed in 105K!! They replaced it and showed me the "gas" they poured out of the old one... it looked like three week old black coffee!! Yuck! I cant imagine what damage burning that crap in the engine has done. I cleaned my K&N filter yesterday, it was nasty too, but looks fine now. Just trying to take care of the simple stuff first while getting a feel for what is in dire need.

Two places told me to get smaller tires, an idea I dont particularly like, because I love the stance of the vehicle as it is. I think it has 33's on it now, but they tell me the mass of the tires is stressing the power steering (i have PS leaks) and may be contributing to my ball joint wear and rear axle leak.

I dunno, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Thanks folx. I can already tell this will be one hell of a project. I mean on the outside she is a beauty, but the various shops Ive taken it to provide me with the same litany of needs. Some fairly basic, some serious. But I knew what I was getting into with this (or I think I did) lol. Got the oil changed today because I had no idea when it was changed last. They told me they had no way to tell if the prvious owner was using synthetic or what, so they sold me on Valvoline Maxlife which has both conventional and synth components. I hope that was the correct choice!!

They also said the fuel filter was original from the factory!! Never changed in 105K!! They replaced it and showed me the "gas" they poured out of the old one... it looked like three week old black coffee!! Yuck! I cant imagine what damage burning that crap in the engine has done. I cleaned my K&N filter yesterday, it was nasty too, but looks fine now. Just trying to take care of the simple stuff first while getting a feel for what is in dire need.

Two places told me to get smaller tires, an idea I dont particularly like, because I love the stance of the vehicle as it is. I think it has 33's on it now, but they tell me the mass of the tires is stressing the power steering (i have PS leaks) and may be contributing to my ball joint wear and rear axle leak.

I dunno, what do you think?

That's absolutely right,the shop have give you the right advise,you shall get regular tires,at least 'till you gete all those leaks fixed.

Also consider having the engine flushed with sea foam,the most synthetic oil use by 99.9 % of us the mobil 1 also royal purple & amsoil.

Also change all differential fluids as well as the T-case & transmmission;As you said you have no clue when last the previous owner did it.

Repacking or replacing all four bearing is a good thing to do along with new brake pads & rotors.flushing the brake fluid,radiator & probably a full tune up is needed to improve performance & MPG.

You got a lot of work to do GRIF,hope you can really enjoy it as much as you want.

Keep us posted on the progress & don't forget there's a lot of info in here usefull to you.

33s are a little big, but a few members have them and do ok, it sure wouldnt hurt anything (other than your ground clearance) to go a little smaller, when its time for new tires i will probably end up with a 31.5" tire

i work in a shop, so if you have any Qs about parts pricing/ labor costs to make sure you are getting a fair deal, feel free to ask and ill get you quotes for what it would be in my shop for comparison

You should also try looking on EBAY, I was just looking at three that are on their now for under 10 K. I would agree stay clear keep looking and they are out their just keep keen eye

SHAWN--- Please read post #47 above. Very important.

sorry didnt finish reading all the posts i just thought it would help him out. thanks for the notice