Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Product Recommendation -- NOT SPAM

Product Recommendation -- NOT SPAM

I have 2 products that I have used for the VX and have to say I would 100% recommend.

First.....

Mr. Clean Auto Dry Car Wash System:

This is the only product I have ever used that has delivered on its promises. I have been using it for about 5 years. Usually by this time, I have moved onto the next best thing. The trick to using this is that you do still have to scrub the car. The magic is in the soap and the filtered water. The gun is nice for easy switch betweens. I washed my Ebony VX in the hot sun (water steamed when I sprayed it) and when I was done, I didnt have one single water spot.

Second...

Turtle Wax' ICE

I purchased a bottle of this stuff on Saturday and used it on the VX including the Cladding. It took about 10 minutes to do the whole car. Their claim is that you can use it on EVERYTHING. Plastic, painted, chromed, metal, rubber, etc. It was a breeze to put on. My cladding looks amazing.

Last edited by JAMAS : 07/02/2009 at 05:40 AM

I've been using the Mr. Clean kit for over 6 years now and can vouch for it, although IMO the soap isn't any better than the generic gallon jugs you find at your local auto store. The real key is the integrated filter, which is what ultimately prevents contaminates from creating spots. The one problem I've found is that if you use a higher-end car wash (Meguiar's NXT is what I use) the soap will be too thick for the gun to mix with the water. So I use the gun purely for the filter.

I've heard great things about the Ice product and have been meaning to try it for awhile now. In addition to what you listed, it supposedly is able to be applied in direct sunlight, which is important for those of us without garages in the hotter parts of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    ...although IMO the soap isn't any better than the generic gallon jugs you find at your local auto store. The real key is the integrated filter, which is what ultimately prevents contaminates from creating spots...
    Yeah, you are correct about the filter. That is the majority of the solution. However, in my experience the Mr. Clean soap has that "polymer" where you can actually watch the water dry off in a sheet. Its really cool. Almost like the water is being peeled off. But the filter is a big part.....just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    In addition to what you listed, it supposedly is able to be applied in direct sunlight, which is important for those of us without garages in the hotter parts of the country.
    OH YEAH!!!

I forgot to add that.

Also, I used it on 2 cars and I have about 98% left. A little bit goes ALONG WAY!

I have used the "ICE" product on the VX (Kaiser) and the wife's (Black) car. Been really impressed, easy to put on and easy to take off. I do it in the garage in the shade not sure about if would come off easy in the sun. another thing it dries clear so you don't get the white left overs in the cracks etc. Good stuff.
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    another thing it dries clear so you don't get the white left overs in the cracks etc. Good stuff.
    That's a really good advantage over the Meguiar's waxes that I usually use. Their products fill and shine awesome, but they do leave residue.

Btw, another handy product is the Mother's Mini-Powerball. For those of us who are not yet enlightened enough to use the Refinish Restorer or Gator Back products (or all the way through their bottle of B2B yet ) it really speeds the process of putting on the cladding dressing. You still have to do a final wipe down with a cloth to make sure it's perfectly even, but it reduces the elbow grease factor by at least 90%. Just make sure if you're using a cordless drill that you have multiple battery packs ready!

Hot Sun

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    I washed my Ebony VX in the hot sun (water steamed when I sprayed it) and when I was done, I didnt have one single water spot.
    In Ohio? Here in the middle of the Mohave we just finished a dozen days or so above 100 degrees. But in Summer it starts to get real hot. Last year 133 degrees. Here in the summer you turn off your water heater to have a supply of cold water cause brushing your teeth with hot water sux. Here you do not wash your car in the summer you steam clean it.
    Last edited by Moncha : 06/29/2009 at 08:19 AM Reason: Fixed Quote

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I washed my Ebony VX in the hot sun (water steamed when I sprayed it) and when I was done, I didnt have one single water spot.
    In Ohio? Here in the middle of the Mohave we just finished a dozen days or so above 100 degrees. But in Summer it starts to get real hot. Last year 133 degrees. Here in the summer you turn off your water heater to have a supply of cold water cause brushing your teeth with hot water sux. Here you do not wash your car in the summer you steam clean it.
    Yeah, it gets sunny and hot here in Ohio.....but about 90+ on that day in the full sun. But a black vehicle just absorbs the snot out of that heat.

I can't imagine how or why you deal with that heat. I couldnt survive.

I love product recommendations and reviews...

Try and remember to post things like this in the "Reviews Section" (Link on the Main Menu on the left) that way they don't get buried or moved to archives.

Here's a link to the category that fits
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...category&cid=3
    Scott / moncha.com

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    I love product recommendations and reviews...

Try and remember to post things like this in the "Reviews Section" (Link on the Main Menu on the left) that way they don't get buried or moved to archives.

Here's a link to the category that fits
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...category&cid=3

I just submitted it. Awaiting your approval.

Thanks for the heads-up

You bet, this kind of info is valuable!

I use ICE on my cladding, but prefer the Professional line of products from Meguiars for the body. I used ICE on my black '82 Mustang last month, and then put the cover on. I couple days later it rained, and left horrible streaks on the finish. I had to "wax" it all over again. It's a 16 year old paint job (Glasurit), so it soaks up the wax. Looks great from a distance.

I found the best way to apply ICE was to apply liberally with the provided sponge, let it "dry" for about 15-20 minutes, and then go back over it with a damp cloth followed immediately with a soft dry cloth. This usually prevents streaking, unless it puddles in a crack somewhere. Works great on good cladding.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Fun in the sun

Yeah, it gets sunny and hot here in Ohio.....but about 90+ on that day in the full sun. But a black vehicle just absorbs the snot out of that heat.

I can't imagine how or why you deal with that heat. I couldnt survive.
    It's not the heat it's the humidity. I am from PA so I know about your weather. I miss it in the summer but enjoy here in the winter. On the plus side you can get a great tan walking out and getting the paper. I do it in the nude to get a great all over tan. Boy having sun burn on your balls hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    It's not the heat it's the humidity. I am from PA so I know about your weather. I miss it in the summer but enjoy here in the winter. On the plus side you can get a great tan walking out and getting the paper. I do it in the nude to get a great all over tan. Boy having sun burn on your balls hurts.
    Glad I'm not your neighbor.