Thread: Installing New Stereo

Installing New Stereo

I just bought a new stereo from Crutchfield and am installing it myself. Any tips on removing the dash piece (number of screws, clips, etc.) Any areas of trim more fragile than others??? Whatever tip you can offer.....

PBKid talked me through it a few months ago. He is a pro installer at Best Buy. Here are his instructions:

as far as taking apart the dash-
    1. take off the little piece around the changer/cigarette lighter (it just unclips with a good pull)
    2. take out 7 screws to remove dash; one above the stock head unit, two above the steering wheel, four along the joint of the dash and the knee bolster (place below dash)
    3. pull dash out, but be careful not to break it trying to get it past the wheel (that is the hardest part on the VX
    4. unplug all the plugs so that you can completely remove the factory dash
    5. before you do any of this pre-wire the harness. its really easy to do, strip all the wires on both the JVC radio and the aftermarket harness...then either solder or use 'butt' connectors to attach them to each other. (you may be able to pay the best buy guy like $20 to pre-wire it up for you really quick if you dont have all the tools to do it) but if you can get a hold of all the tools its just a straight match, color to color. you will need strippers, butt connectors, and crimpers to do the wiring
    6. next plug in the harness to the factory harness and plug the other end into the JVC...mount the new radio (you should be able to remove the factory brackets off the factory radio and put the brackets right onto the JVC making for easy mounting) and make sure everything is plugged back in when you screw the dash back in...
    7. there's a basic breakdown of the install for ya...

I had everything done in about 20 minutes.

I really appreciate your detailed message. That will make it much easier.
    THANKS!

Just to let you know, I found that you do not have to pull the dash past the steering wheel. I left the wires connected and just rotated it 90 degrees clockwise. There was just enough slack in the wires to do this.

Crutchfield is probably the best source for buying aftermarket stereo components. They should have included detailed instructions specific to the VX.

In addition, Crutchfield makes factory interconnect "wiring harness adapters" that prevent you from any cutting or slicing wires (thereby preventing you from destroying the factory plug-in wiring harness). It's a wiring harness adapter that goes inbetween the factory OEM harness and the new aftermarket stereo harness. Genious.

They also make speaker wiring harness adapters as well, so you don't have to cut/splice any speaker wires. Get back on the phone immediately, and speak with a Crutchfield rep about instructions and specifically the "wiring harness adapters"!!!

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Crutchfield is probably the best source for buying aftermarket stereo components. They should have included detailed instructions specific to the VX.

In addition, Crutchfield makes factory interconnect "wiring harness adapters" that prevent you from any cutting or slicing wires (thereby preventing you from destroying the factory plug-in wiring harness). It's a wiring harness adapter that goes inbetween the factory OEM harness and the new aftermarket stereo harness. Genious.

They also make speaker wiring harness adapters as well, so you don't have to cut/splice any speaker wires. Get back on the phone immediately, and speak with a Crutchfield rep about instructions and specifically the "wiring harness adapters"!!!
    lol riff raff you crack me up...they sell wire harnesses at EVERY car audio shop in the nation

i just got a good laugh though...i have to ask, do you do radio advertising or something?? i swear some of your messages sound like some advertising you would hear on the radio...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

PEANUT BUTTER KID--- Thanks for the compliment. I graduated from a 4-year University with a B.A. in Radio/T.V. Broadcasting/Mass Media Communications Major. I also Minored in Music and Minored in Military Science, and got straight A+'s in all English related classes. Go figure.

lol...didnt mean that to be an insult if thats how you took it...
    i think its because you always have perfect grammar.

Thanks for the info guys....Hope to put it in tomorrow

search on workmeister. He posted a how2 with pics.

If I locate, I'll link you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

how did it go somebeach??

OMG! I opened the box from Crutchfield and I couldn't believe the detailed instructions. Usually it's a drawing but this had real pictures of the VX dash and an arrow where every screw was. I put in a Panasonic unit and man it sounds better. I highly recommend Crutchfield if you're installing it yourself.

The biggest problem I had was with the car alarm LED. That thing was tie-wrapped every 3 inches or something, and I eventually ended up cutting it.

Anyway, my warning is that the harness that Crutchfield sends you (and probably all the universal Isuzu harnesses) do not have the ground wire attached to anything. The ground goes through the chassis.

So, just plugging in the plug isn't enough. Don't panic when you plug it in to test it and it doesn't work. You must reinstall the radio into the dash to get it to work. (Or run your own ground line.)

[QUOTE=mdwyer;164052]

Anyway, my warning is that the harness that Crutchfield sends you (and probably all the universal Isuzu harnesses) do not have the ground wire attached to anything. The ground goes through the chassis.

I had the same proble. I connected it and it wouldn't turn on. When I added the antenna it grounded and worked great. Had I not known about the grounding I may have sent the stereo back.

The problem I encountered was that the Isuzu power cable was designed to plug into the near (dirver's side) of a head unit. That's where the power in is on the stock head unit. My JVC unit has the power input on the right (passenger) side. And of course, the stock plug would not reach. Had to cut and splice. Not fun. But it works.