Quote Originally Posted by phines View Post
He's definitely making the trip to Moab.
Hey Paul- Great pics & great pup! Love your Adobe!
We wanted to take our 2 dogs too, but got input from Todd Adams that we weren't aware of:
Sue,
It is a strict rule that the Parks have about dogs. Dogs cannot even be in the vehicle on dirt roads. BLM land OK but they are supposed to be on a leash. Last year we had a vehicle that I did not see, had a dog at line up for Elehant Hill. The ranger spotted the dog at the pay booth and she let them know at the visitors center. I had to let them know they could not go on the trail with us. Sorry, have a great time.
Todd

Here's what Zeus told me as well:
I took Menace into Canyonlands for a trip thru Elephant Hill one year. I got a $70 ticket for it. We stopped to take a lunch break and then I heard a vehicle coming I scurried to get Menace hidden but the ranger saw him anyway and I got fined. He told me he could force me to turn around because of the dog but he let us continue on our way. He was a highly paranoid man - said people out there beat him up before, have threatened to kill him, etc. Their reasoning for disallowing dogs in the back country is retarded. They claim the dog's feces contains rabies because of the trace amounts in vaccinations. They claim bugs eat the feces and bats eat the bugs spreading rabies and other diseases to other animals, apparently thru feces. I don't buy it, bats don't simply stay in "the back country".

You could most likely hide your lil dogs much easier than I could hide my 4-legged person. The cost of a kennel would be about the same as the fine I figure.

I don't think we should do Elephant Hill for the VX Run because it was the chosen trail 2 or 3 years ago

So we decided we'd just have to leave them home this trip, darn!