Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab 'Zu XIII May 11, May 15, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by phines View Post
    He's definitely making the trip to Moab.
    Hey Paul- Great pics & great pup! Love your Adobe!
    We wanted to take our 2 dogs too, but got input from Todd Adams that we weren't aware of:
    Sue,
    It is a strict rule that the Parks have about dogs. Dogs cannot even be in the vehicle on dirt roads. BLM land OK but they are supposed to be on a leash. Last year we had a vehicle that I did not see, had a dog at line up for Elehant Hill. The ranger spotted the dog at the pay booth and she let them know at the visitors center. I had to let them know they could not go on the trail with us. Sorry, have a great time.
    Todd

Here's what Zeus told me as well:
    I took Menace into Canyonlands for a trip thru Elephant Hill one year. I got a $70 ticket for it. We stopped to take a lunch break and then I heard a vehicle coming I scurried to get Menace hidden but the ranger saw him anyway and I got fined. He told me he could force me to turn around because of the dog but he let us continue on our way. He was a highly paranoid man - said people out there beat him up before, have threatened to kill him, etc. Their reasoning for disallowing dogs in the back country is retarded. They claim the dog's feces contains rabies because of the trace amounts in vaccinations. They claim bugs eat the feces and bats eat the bugs spreading rabies and other diseases to other animals, apparently thru feces. I don't buy it, bats don't simply stay in "the back country".

You could most likely hide your lil dogs much easier than I could hide my 4-legged person. The cost of a kennel would be about the same as the fine I figure.

I don't think we should do Elephant Hill for the VX Run because it was the chosen trail 2 or 3 years ago

So we decided we'd just have to leave them home this trip, darn!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Sue, thanks for passing along the info. Is Elephant Hill the only trail that goes through the national park? If there aren't too many national park trails, I could just avoid those I guess. I think my pup is a little too young for a kennel right now (serious spearation anxiety issues) and I don't know anyone around here well enough yet to ask them to watch him.
    ________
    Paxil Help
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:24 PM

Sue, thanks for passing along the info. Is Elephant Hill the only trail that goes through the national park? If there aren't too many national park trails, I could just avoid those I guess. I think my pup is a little too young for a kennel right now (serious spearation anxiety issues) and I don't know anyone around here well enough yet to ask them to watch him.
    We tried to figure that out too, i.e. don't go on any N. P. trails...but someone also told me their pads are likely to get burned and pretty roughed up if they're on the slick rock for several days. So we reluctantly decided to kennel them. There's kennels there I guess we could leave them for a day when we're going on N.P., but still worried about the pads.

Yeah, that's probably the wise choice Sue. I'll see if we can come up with a plan here... Thanks!
    ________
    IOLITE VS VAPORGENIE
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:24 PM

Yeah, that's probably the wise choice Sue. I'll see if we can come up with a plan here... Thanks!
    Hey if we could find a "dog sitter" in Moab our 3 dogs could stay together. My 2 are about the same size as yours, they'd all get along I suspect. Does having other dogs around ease your pup's sep. anxiety? We'd still do anything to be able to bring them along....anybody have any brainstorms, let us know!

and no, my dogs will NOT keep those little booties on for more than 3 seconds unfortunately...I've tried

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Elephant Hill is the only likely trail to go into NP backcountry. There are others of course, but for this group EH is about it unless you like to explore.

You can go elsewhere that day, there will probably be multiple runs each day...but Canyonlands is sooooo amazingly scenic it is worth the inconvenience of doggy day care or whatever IMO.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

I know travel plans are still fuzzy, but thought I'd mention I'm really tryin' to find a way to join the TX, NM caravan. I don't mind driving further On Sunday 5/9 since it would be so cool to hook up with this many VXs...
    I think 4 + me (Scott H., Tom, phines (maybe), VX Crazy) I think Jay is somewhere else in NM?

If the TX gang & phines comes through Albuquerque and goes East through Gallup I could join up there. Only about 12 xtra miles for you.

Or if you go thru Taos (as you said you might) maybe you could go thru Shiprock, I could join there. About 20 xtra miles.

I can just see it now...5 VXs cruising down the highway

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    If the TX gang & phines comes through Albuquerque and goes East through Gallup I could join up there. Only about 12 xtra miles for you.

Or if you go thru Taos (as you said you might) maybe you could go thru Shiprock, I could join there. About 20 xtra miles.

I can just see it now...5 VXs cruising down the highway
    "Only" 12 extra miles?!? That's, like, a whole gallon of gas!

Just kidding. I haven't chosen my route yet. I'm used to driving down from Seattle. This will be my first time driving UP from Austin.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Assuming I can get on the road Sunday morning, I can pretty much meet anywhere. Still waiting to hear if my VA buddies are flying in that day... They might slow me down enough that I won't be able to catch up with y'all (that's a word I learned to use after living in southern VA for 10 years).
    ________
    Volcano vaporizer digital
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:25 PM

... catch up with y'all (that's a word I learned to use after living in southern VA for 10 years).
    Rekin we didn't learn you very good then - yer no using it right. Y'all is singular. All Y'all is plural.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Sue, would love to do that, I am getting with Jay this weekend and we are gonna hopefully firm up plans.....we are supposed to meet in amarillo sunday and stay sunday night in NM, head into Moab monday......early afternoon...
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Rekin we didn't learn you very good then - yer no using it right. Y'all is singular. All Y'all is plural.
    Yeah, I was fixin' to get out my southern spell checker... I guess I might could do that next time.
    ________
    Lesbian Fisting
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:25 PM

Yeah, I was fixin' to get out my southern spell checker.
    T'ain't been invented yet!!!

Getting close!

Teaser...

18 VX's on the "yes" list...any of the maybes going to be moving up?