Thread: New Steering wheel

New Steering wheel

Hi all,
    who amongst you has put a new steering wheel on a VX? I CAN’T STAND the stock one. At 15’’ Its way too big, It just about hits my knees. Heck, my dads got a new Ford Ranger with stereo controls built in and its only a 14’’!.I hate four spoke wheels and I’ve always installed a three spoke on every car I’ve ever owned since 1983.
    So, who has been behind the big poofy thing that covers the airbag?
    What holds the big poofy thing on, and what’s the best way to remove it without damaging it? I want to put it back if I sell my VX.
    Another thing: Who has replaced the stock front speakers? I want some rockin’ ones that fit perfectly with no butchery of my doors.
    As for the telepaths, I have learned to recognize them and
    ignore them. The worst thing you can do is block them and
    make them mad, When it gets to be too much, I put my
    fingers in my ears and sing, "FLINTSTONES, MEET THE
    FLINTSTONES."

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    At your own risk!

There are 2 torx screws at approximately 8:30 and 3:30 clock positions on the backside of the wheel, maybe t-15 torx. The downloadable or hard VX manual has specific electrical information on removing the SRS module (pretty interesting read) . Some have suggested disconnecting the battery and waiting 30 minutes,

I recommend you follow the instructions in the manual exactly.

After you disconnect the SRS module and horn wires the module will come out easily. You will then see the steering wheel mounting bolts clearly. You'll have to devise your own filler/ adapter for the gaping area behind the wheel.

A final caution from the backside of the module.......

"To help avoid personal injury due to unwanted inflation:

1. Do not take apart, crush or puncture.
    2. Do not check a circuit by electrical tester.
    3. Do not service, dispose or apply electric power to this unit.
    4.Do not heat in excess of 200 degrees F.
    5. Follow all instructions in the service manual."

Beauty! Thanks for the tip about the Torx. I knew there had to be some kind of secret deally holding that S#@ of a @#$&* on. I'll get to it soon, and try not to blow my head off.

PS. Excellent screen name.

“ Preserve Our Precious Bodily Fluids “

Col. J. Ripper

If you have the red/black model I would be interesteed in buying it from you if it is near perfect shape-no rub-off.

steve.mcneal@nextel.com

It might be possible to get the Japanese OEM steering wheel made by Momo. It's smaller (has a smaller air-bag) and would probably bolt up. Of course it's probably fairly expensive, but may be worth it to have the wheel designed for the VX.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I'd love to have the Japanese Momo wheel, but when I realized the stock US wheel was about $800 with the airbag, I didn't even bother trying to get the Momo wheel.

-Daver
    -Daver

I haven't had an airbag out of the VX, but I have revmoved and reinstalled the passenger side airbag from my previous car. I didn't like the thought of my son in the back seat of a covertable trans am, but I didn't want him hear the airbag either... that coupled with the need/want of a monitor in the passenger side dash, I killed two birds with one stone... anyway, I digressed... I recommend disconnecting the battery for at least thirty minutes as I have heard that WILL hold charge for at least that long... sometimes LONGER. After the battery has been disco'd for a bit, there should be a YELLOW wire (I believe it is standard throughout the automotive field). There will be a safety clip to remove and then just unplug the single wire. Once this is done, you are safe to do whatever you want. I recommend storing the airbag is a place where it won't get too hot... and of course, don't subject them to any unnecasary shock (physical or electrical) and keep stored out of reach of the little ones if you should have them... nothing like an explosive to spark the interest of adolesence. Anyway, good luck and have fun.

TTYL!
    Coach... aka Randy! (I often forget who I really am!)

My 2000 Ironman VX!... Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18's on stock 18" rims, Power Vault Muffler, Tone Monday's custom tow package, OME 912 Springs, custom audio/video/multimedia computer system in the works! Transformation to LS1 V-8 Power as we speak!
    My Webshots Gallery...