Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: License Plate

License Plate

I was just looking through the internet and couldn't help but notice some vehicles pictured with the license plate blacked out. So the question is....Why do people feel a need to block their license plate??? I mean even in a worse case scenario what could possibly be the risk of having your license plate revealed. I'm wondering if they ride around town with a cover on their tag???

I had the same thoughts.
    License plates are for public view,make no sense blocking them on the web & every single individual near you car can read them.

I guess all that has to do with the perception of privacy.
    However,if you feel to you can have the tags replaced as many times as you want,just pay for it.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i dont understand a use for it...i think the only purpose would be if you had a very very valuable car, and only took it in public in very safe areas and car shows...
    i could see your information not being open to all of the public in that case...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

By having your license plate blocked-out in pictures posted on the internet prevents world-wide law enforcement personnel (worthy or unworthy) who have access to DMV computers from running your plates and finding out who you are and where you live.

Sure; while your vehicle is on the road in public, everyone can view your license plate. That is a very small number of people viewing your license plate and an even smaller pecentage of people who have actual DMV computer access (like a typical policeman in a cruiser), when compared to the entire world on the world-wide-web.

For me, I don't want anybody knowing where I live unless I specifically want them to with my explicit permission. That's why I have my official street address listed as a PMB (Private Mail Box) going to a local commercial MailCenter type business outlet that rent-out a PMB. In this way, I don't care if my license plate is posted on the internet; I'm safe.

It helps me sleep better at night knowing I'm not going to see a black Chevy Suburban or a black Crown Victoria parked across the street from my front door. Plus, it saves me ammunition.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    is there a good reason why a law enforcement officer would need to park across the street from your house??

you realize there are many officers on this site right??

still personally see a reason as long as your not doing anything illegal...nothing wrong with doing some good ole fashioned moab wheeling

Well that theory is applicable only when there's a justified reason to do so,like if you are under witness protection program by FBI,CIA or DEA,yet cops can still trace you every time you are browsing the web,using your mobile phone or even using your debit/credit card or bank accounts.

Beside that,our web site have proved to be a healty/non criminal website so they already figured out we are all harmless

The internet can be a very scary place and the reasons you can think of to block your license plate are probably not even the reasons people would take them. I'd rather limit the information I provide anywhere on the internet because it isn't just the people on this site that have access to it. There are web crawlers and all sorts of other ways people find images. Go to Google and type anything into the image search, you would be surprised how many people's personal pictures (vacations, etc) are found. And they NEVER go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Plus, it saves me ammunition.
    Saw .308 at a recent gun show for $1 a round. Think we'll be missing the machinegun shoot this July 4th so no worries about our tag getting photographed there with all the other heavy-metal hoodlums! LOL!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

car cloning

I understand that masking your reg-plate on the internet is prudent to prevent car cloning. If a car was the same color, make and model as your own then any offenses committed by it's owner would come to you. Run a read light, photographed speeding, you would be hard pressed to convince the authorities that it wasn't you.

Just a thoughts.

Yeah, it's a paranoia thing...

Bart

Its funny how paranoid people are. I can assure you there are no crimes being reported because a license plate was seen on the internet. Even if there was a dirty cop who ran the tag and found out where you lived, what does he do now? Kinda like a dog that chases a car...if he catches it what does he do with it. The so called dirty cop now knows where you live...so why would he care? What crime is now possible as a result of the information.

False Alarm

Attention everyone!!!! I just saw a vehicle with the license plate "SomeBeach" just abduct a small child. Everybody go get him and kick him alot in the face.

see.....you could have just gotten kicked alot in the face. Its a good thing you didnt post your license plate.

I am just saying that you have no idea what people do with wierd information. Why add to the already large amount of data people can get about you on the internet.

I am not worried about the authorities seeing my plates, just wierdos.

Trust me, if someone wants to mess with you there is plenty of "public information" legally available to make that an easy task without needing your plate#.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

This post will give you an idea of what is possible on the net with next to nothing to go by (an IP address). Of course this guy was an idiot and got his justice. Good reading...long but entertaining. Some have probably seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    Attention everyone!!!! I just saw a vehicle with the license plate "SomeBeach" just abduct a small child. Everybody go get him and kick him alot in the face.

see.....you could have just gotten kicked alot in the face. Its a good thing you didnt post your license plate.

I am just saying that you have no idea what people do with wierd information. Why add to the already large amount of data people can get about you on the internet.
    Oh I see...and the only way this weirdo would get a tag number is looking at the internet??? This weirdo don't notice tags of vehicles going down the street? And reporting a crime was just committed by the operator of this vehicle...where is the victim. And weirdo is so talented he can pick a crime and a suspect at a time the suspect has unaccounted for time. And on and on. Trust me, if a weirdo wanted to do something bad to you its much easier to follow you home then pick a tag off the internet, find a way to run it, travel to your house and pick out a crime to try out. Your tag don't entice the criminal.
    Last edited by Moncha : 06/17/2009 at 08:21 PM Reason: Fixed Quote